Page 1 of 2
I've noticed that a lot of people on here seem to have one thing that they're more confident about than anything else. Some can sweep like crazy, some know lots of different modes, some have awesome pinch harmonics. So what are your best and worst abilities?

Personally, I feel like my alternate/tremolo picking technique is pretty damn good, and my sweeping, if you can call it that, is terrible.
....... i have no skills.

Maybe... being better than most of my friends? Being the only one in town who can play "Snow"?

That or dominating improv.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
My alt picking is godly. My left hand accuracy is decent at best.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I'm pretty good at alternate picking, and I personally think my vibrato is great. I'm getting good at string skipping, but I'm not good at sweeping... I manage. I'm proud of my pull offs/hammer ons/legato as well...

One thing I still can't do, is to shred (pick every note at high speed, sort of).
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Jul 16, 2009,
I would say my best techniques on the guitar are vibrato, bends, and legato.
I can also do pinch harmonics with ease.

My alt picking is pretty good, still could use improvement though.

I can sweep pretty well, have to slow down a little for the 5 and 6 string sweeps though.
pinches- 6.5/10
sweeps- 5/10
string skip- 7/10
legato(hammer ons/pull-offs/trills)- 7.5/10
shred- 4.5/10
vibrato/bends- 8/10
tremelo/alternate picking- 7.5/10
economy picking- 6.5/10
hybrid picking- 2/10 (lol)
finger picking- 0.5/10 (lmao)
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I'm good with all different kinds of harmonics - which is why I use them so much in my instrumentals.
i dont need these skills to sweep or stuff, bending, hammer ons and pull offs have always been what i mainly do. (im good at pinchies though)
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
My vibrato kicks butt.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My pinches are great.

My trem picking is great.

My sweeps...we're talking about sweeping floors, right? So long as it's not sweeping on guitar, I'm good.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

being able to solo over most Buckethead songs and make it sounds alright since i know the mode he uses, but still it sounds poo coz i cant do crazy fast stuff
i'm the only person in my town who can 8 finger tap (again Buckethead) but that still sounds poo
lol
i suck quite a bit
My rythym is good.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
sweeping/legato... my bread and butter.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Oops, forgot about bends. And on good days I'm good at vibrato (classical vibrato, not rock/blues vibrato - even though that's actually much easier for me).
Double Thumb Pluck on bass would be my worst, but I'm working on that

4 Finger plucking on bass would be my best. Tremelo if you will.
Quite likes Corrine Bailey Rae's new album Don't hurt me.
I can pick really, really, really fast. Lol.
But, the thing is, my fretting hard is WAY behind.
My rhythms are excellent.

Other than picking, my hammering-on is pretty good. I'm terrible at pulling-off.
Last edited by ctb at Jul 16, 2009,
I'm pretty good at chord changes, can do them nice and fast... That's about it!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I'm pretty @ improvising acoustic stuff (switching from fingerpicking, to some chords.. then improv a solo,etc.)
but I suck at shredding!

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
I'm best at legato, alternate picking and improvisation.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Bottleneck slide, Vibrato, Delta-Style Bassnote lines, Alternate picking, pulloffs/hammerons. I can't do pinches(nor do I feel I need to)

Alot of people say I'm good, but my technicality is ametur at best.
im really good at doing sweeps and pinch harmonics. but i suck at soloing
Classical Guitarist
Playing melodies without thinking. Never had problems with pinchies
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Eco Picking. I could do it i the first few days of playing guitar, and it felt natural.
Horrible at barre chords though.
On guitar...not so much. I'm good at downpicking fast, palm muting, and vibrato (although I do it like violin/viola/cello vibrato, not guitar vibrato). That's about it.

On bass, I can jam real easily (I can get a bassline going right away without hearing what the guitarist is playing first) and pluck really fast.
pinches- 6/10
sweeps- 9/10
string skip- 7.5/10
legato(hammer ons/pull-offs/trills)- 7/10
shred- 7/10
vibrato/bends- 5.5/10 (need to work on that)
tremelo/alternate picking- 7.5/10
economy picking- 9/10
hybrid picking- 5/10
finger picking- 3.5/10 (>.<
tapping- 8/10
improvisation-6/10

sorry for stealing your idea random hero >.<
Last edited by TrustMeWhenISay at Jul 17, 2009,
Tapping, Legato, Improv, shred and Alt/tremolo picking are my strong points.
My weak points is sweeps as I'm horrible at them,
Things that I suck at:
- Sweep Picking
- Other shredding stuff

Things that I don't suck at:
- Tapping
- Acoustic Impro. (I put them in use with some chicks lol jk)
- Good vibrato, well a little more than good all my friends say.
- Chording & Power Chording
- Some harmonics, not all.
- Fast hands and picking ( I know i've said i'm bad at shredding, and it's true, coz at fast speed i get off sync.)
Just Me, -NNC- Peace!
To be honest, I've played a little under a year (11 months and counting).

I can alternate pick about 9 notes per second. I can sweep about that fast, but I've only started learning to sweep about 3 weeks ago. I guess my best technique is my tapping - with 5 fingers, I've done some pretty neat stuff.
Im really good at improv, i never play a solo note by note. And i dont get why everyone has trouble with pinch harmonics, it took me like five minutes to learn them and have like 90% success rate.
Nothing I like to play requires any kind of real shred skill or sweeping, so I suck at those. I'm pretty good at bending and have a 'feel' for theory, doesn't necessarily mean I'm a great improv, but I grasp intervals at that kinda stuff pretty quick.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Eco Picking. I could do it i the first few days of playing guitar, and it felt natural.
Horrible at barre chords though.

I just learned about eco picking after 3 years of playing, but i just figured out that i had always done economy picking naturally even tho i nevr learned it
Fast Alternate picking and economy picking. I really wanna learn how to sweep well and incorperate tapping into it, thats my favorite but I dont do it well..
I don't want to be an ass, but i play best of all my friends? And some played longer then me.
My left hand technique is my best talent. I'm a lefty playing righthanded, so it came quite naturally, yet my right hand is not near as good. I'm really good with chords and strumming patterns and singing along. I can't improvise or perform any kind of shred licks to save my life though.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Page 1 of 2