This is one area where I struggle. And often its not even a trio, its just guitar and drums, which seems to be hard to make work. Basically mixing lead and rhythm to make things interesting but still maintain the progression and such. Anyone have tips for this or specific songs that would be good to practice or techniques or ideas? haha thanks
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
play your rhythm in sync with the drummer and through occasional lead licks out.
When you play melody lines play notes that put emphasis on the chords that would be there otherwise. Or do it randy rhoades style listen to him play live. That and srv were both amazing at it
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Yeah for rhythm + lead just spell out the chord changes for a basis for your melody. Not sure about advice for playing with drums as I don't have much experience with that.
Seek out some other three piece bands that have a guitar, bass, and drummer as the line up. Some off the top of my head that are great at filling up a song as a three peice are: Cry Of Love, Badlands, Van Halen (of course), Cream, ZZ Top, etc. Some of these bands like Cry of Love don't even have a backing rhythm track going on during solos, it's just the solo guitar, bass, and drums. That's what I would shoot for if you're wanting fill a song both rhythmically and with some solo and random licks thrown in. You'd probably like Cry of Love based on the guitar setup you have listed below your question. They're very raw, bluesy, etc. Give their album Brother a listen (my favorite), but Diamonds & Debris is great too.
Quote by Whiskey Tango
Seek out some other three piece bands that have a guitar, bass, and drummer as the line up. Some off the top of my head that are great at filling up a song as a three peice are: Cry Of Love, Badlands, Van Halen (of course), Cream, ZZ Top, etc. Some of these bands like Cry of Love don't even have a backing rhythm track going on during solos, it's just the solo guitar, bass, and drums. That's what I would shoot for if you're wanting fill a song both rhythmically and with some solo and random licks thrown in. You'd probably like Cry of Love based on the guitar setup you have listed below your question. They're very raw, bluesy, etc. Give their album Brother a listen (my favorite), but Diamonds & Debris is great too.

No Nirvana?
well they are a three piece and probably one of the more widely known ones....so they had to be doing something right
Hendrix.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by herrotim
No Motorhead?
well they are a three piece and probably one of the more widely known ones....so they had to be doing something right

fixed
anyway TS, just, practise what you feel would work, use trial and error, that sort of thing
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!