I'm starting a Music Technology (BTEC National Diploma) course at college in September, and I don't have any prior qualifications (haven't sat any guitar grades yet). Can anyone tell me something/anything that I might need to know?
(I have contacted the college, but they won't forward me or give me any contact info for any member of staff from the Music Dept. to ask them about this)
Thanks
MOAR

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Active
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Ovation Celebrity
You strum on the strings, the long thing is a neck, and that hole is for cables.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Im doing this course as we speak, broke up the other week.
They teach you a hell of a lot. If you are using computers alot, they will pretty much teach you how to use it for the whole of your first year, the second year will be more independant.
ull mostly b usin sebailous n reason n things of tht sort n recordin etc

i wudnt worry theyll show u hw 2 do everything anyway
You need to know some theory and how to read music.

It helps to know something about recording, mic setup, sequencing, production, but it all comes down to common sense and ability to listen in the end.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
You don't actually need to know how to even play an instrument to do the course.

It's mainly computers, I'd be doing it in september too, but for the uni course I want I have to opt for sixth form instead
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
You need some basic understanding of theory and keyboard skills. Can you read music?

you dont know what music technology is, do you?

No prior knowledge is required. Background in recording and understanding music is helpful but not mandatory. Not exactly a booming industry...most of my friends who did it had to do other degrees to get jobs, but it will be great fun. I just learned online..everything is available online and though self tuition and you could afford a nice studio for the same price.
Quote by fenderholic65

Dear god, MY EYES!
Quote by 46+0

No prior knowledge is required. Background in recording and understanding music is helpful but not mandatory. Not exactly a booming industry...most of my friends who did it had to do other degrees to get jobs, but it will be great fun. I just learned online..everything is available online and though self tuition and you could afford a nice studio for the same price.

Yes I do, I'm taking that course. Those were the exact pre-requisites that I was told I needed when I signed up, and having done it I can see why.
Quote by 46+0

Knowing music theory and having keyboard skills is very useful in music technology. You'll actually know things from a musicians point of view and an engineers point of view and the extra skills will help you get a job. That early on in education it'll be more than just recording. I just finished the exact course TS is on about and there is a lot of songwriting to be done, along with a bit of studio work, DJing and learning about the industry.
I did it at a level but some basic theory will help you, juts learn about note values, what each note means in the treble and bass clefs and about tie's and slurs and you should be okay.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Yes I do, I'm taking that course. Those were the exact pre-requisites that I was told I needed when I signed up, and having done it I can see why.

I cant see any situation you would need to know anything apart from basic time signatures and counting, or maybe some sort of pitch knowledge if you were working with autotune.
Quote by Karvid
You strum on the strings, the long thing is a neck, and that hole is for cables.

I've just applied for this course, if you look at what's on the syllabus you can see that most of it is just working on recording, midi patches, computers etc. So you wont need a lot of background knowledge for it. Though i'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

Quote by josh999x
I did it at a level but some basic theory will help you, juts learn about note values, what each note means in the treble and bass clefs and about tie's and slurs and you should be okay.

I need to go learn my bass and treble clefs then. Yikes.
Last edited by aaciseric at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by 46+0

I took A-level music tech. I was the only student in the class who could read music. The class results were U-U-U-U-E-E-B. Guess who got the B.

There are whole exams on theory and listening on music tech courses.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by 46+0
I cant see any situation you would need to know anything apart from basic time signatures and counting, or maybe some sort of pitch knowledge if you were working with autotune.

Done the course? Have any idea what you're talking about?

You have to do a sequencing task at some stage that requires you to read a score and play it in on a keyboard. Difficult to do without reading music. And in arrangements etc you're going to need more knowledge of theory that just knowing what a time signature is.

I'm not saying you need to be Mozart, but having done the course I'm actually trying to be helpful and answer the thread-starters question.

Do yourself a favour and stay away from topics you know nothing about.
Quote by aaciseric

I've just applied for this course, if you look at what's on the syllabus you can see that most of it is just working on recording, midi patches, computers etc. So you wont need a lot of background knowledge for it. Though i'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

I need to go learn my bass and treble clefs then. Yikes.

I found the easiest was to remember them was with the old acrostic poem thing.
treble: every good boy deserves football for the lines and face for the gaps and for
bass: gay boys deserve fat ass for the lines and aceg for the gaps, unless you where being sarcastic.
Quote by josh999x
treble: every good boy deserves football for the lines and face for the gaps and for
bass: gay boys deserve fat ass for the lines and aceg for the gaps, unless you where being sarcastic.

Treble- Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge, FACE
Bass- Good Boys Deserve Fudge Always, All Cows Eat Grass

My old music teacher had a thing for "good boys."

Now I'm scared.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Done the course? Have any idea what you're talking about?

You have to do a sequencing task at some stage that requires you to read a score and play it in on a keyboard. Difficult to do without reading music. And in arrangements etc you're going to need more knowledge of theory that just knowing what a time signature is.

I'm not saying you need to be Mozart, but having done the course I'm actually trying to be helpful and answer the thread-starters question.

Do yourself a favour and stay away from topics you know nothing about.

Wow im sure you are running a successful recording studio going by your cutting edge training. Or is it HMV?
You don't need any prior knowledge, but playing a musical instrument and having a basic grasp of music theory is recommended.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by 46+0
Wow im sure you are running a successful recording studio going by your cutting edge training. Or is it HMV?

I take it you're doing brilliantly on the comedy circuit, then?

Actually I did the A-level version of this course along with other subjects. I'm going on to read English at Uni next year. Want to talk out of your ass about that, too?
Quote by fenderholic65

Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
to TS:

Are you doing the course at LCM by any chance? I tried to get in there to do that exact course and got rejected lol.
_________ __________________ _________

Quote by robertito696
I mounted a dildo onto one of my combat boots, now I can show him how much I love him instead of just saying it.

Quote by SteveHouse
EVERYBODY PANIC
Quote by josh999x

Ah thanks, i'll have to bear that in mind. Good job i've got the summer to get ready. Thanks for the heads up guys.
Quote by josh999x

bass: gay boys deserve fat ass for the lines

That's a new one for me, I'm a fan...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by 46+0