I'm looking for a good upgrade from my Sigma dreadnought for harmonic-heavy fingerstyle playing. The body must also resonate well for percussion. What are the differences in sound between these two guitars, and which do you think would be best for my style of playing? I chose these two because of their 1.8" nut width and solid wood back, sides, and soundboard (also, I love a good spruce/mahogany combo).

Mini Jumbo
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Maritime-SWS-Mini-Jumbo-High-Gloss-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=581759&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=346128047

Folk
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Maritime-SWS-Folk-High-Gloss-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=581757&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=356851870

Thank you ahead of time for any helpful responses!
Last edited by i_don't_know at Jul 16, 2009,
fyi, theyre EXACTLY the same guitar except one has a pickguard. look at the specs side by side.

EDIT: excuse my ignorance, the body shape is slightly different. whatever sounds/ feels better to you i guess.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
fyi, theyre EXACTLY the same guitar except one has a pickguard. look at the specs side by side.

EDIT: excuse my ignorance, the body shape is slightly different. whatever sounds/ feels better to you i guess.

The body shape is MUCH different, but I'm not one to judge - I've made similar mistakes, lol.

And the reason I'm asking UG for now is because:

A) I don't have nearly that much saved up yet.

and

B) No one near me carries Seagulls, so I have to drive to a GC pretty far away to try them out - which I won't be doing until I have enough money and I'm ready to buy.
Well, if you are going for the candyrat percussive style exclusively, then I would say go for the mini-jumbo because it would give more variation on percussive sounds depending on where you would strike it. the mini-jumbo would also be louder, and have a heavier bass tone. I would imagine, though can't garuntee, its harmonics would also be stronger.

That being said, I would personally get the folk, just because it is more comfortable to me and I like the more balanced tone better. But then, I play more bluesy stuff as well. I love the fingerstyle-percussive style, but there is no way that I could ever get a guitar based on only doing that because I also play blues, rock, folk, the candyrat fingerstyle, basic strumming and so much stuff, that the folk would just fit me better because of its versatility.

I HIGHLY recommend trying them out, because I dunno what exactly you are going for, and really no one but you does. At the very least, go out and try similar sized and shaped guitars. I find mini-jimbos awkward to hold, so I wouldn't buy one for me, but it may be different for you.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Well, I'd really like to get more midrange and treble (especially treble) than a dreadnought without sacrificing too much bass - I noticed that the trebles coming from my dreadnought have a very "canned" sound to them. I also need a guitar that really brings out harmonics and overtones. Also, the dreadnought has a very "big" sound - I'm looking for something that's not too quiet, but at the same time has a nice, focused sound.

Also, I play a combination of "Candyrat" fingerstyle and traditional fingerstyle tunes, and at this point it seems my personal playing style is going to be geared less toward percussives and more toward heavy harmonics usage - though the song I'm working on now is sort of a combination of folk and traditional fingerstyle (which means no harmonics).

So, broken down:
-traditional fingerstyle ("steel string classical")
-percussive fingerstyle
-harmonic-heavy fingerstyle
-folk

And comfort isn't too much of an issue - I hold my guitar on my left leg, so I can get pretty much any guitar to feel comfortable.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Jul 17, 2009,
Well, I would suggest the folk size then. I am a lover of the 000 size and that is fairly close to it, and sounds like it would work best for what you are using it for. If you can try them out though, try them and see how well the harmonics sound on both sizes, because that's the only thing I can't really predict just by the specs. But yeah...go for the folk (in my humble opinion.)
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!