Most of us have learned basic musical theory, and understand the technicalities of writing a song...

...BUT! How do I actually go about writing one? Like, not only coming up with what I want to write about, but how to get the words to write it? I'd LOVE some help, thanks a lot, have a blessed day, all.

I want help for both composing the music AND writing the lyrics, thanks
Last edited by Quiggie at Jul 16, 2009,
Well usually i don't just sit down and say "Hey, I think I'll write a song". That just never worked for me. But I know of other kids that that works great for. But for me i usually just toy around with different chords until i find something I like. Then I might modify the chords a little to get them to fit better. After I've got the basic rhythm down I might add in some lead fill ins. The lyrics usually come last. These are the hardest part for me, I never had that way with words that some people have. But a lot of times I'll just wait until something happens in my life that's worth writing about and then add lyrics. But it doesn't really matter what it's about. But I would say actually make it about something instead of just writing stuff down because then it will be more sincere. I don't know if any of that helped. I hope it did.
equipment:
Gibson SG Special ltd.
Peavey JF2EX
Fender Kingman SCE
Vox AD30Vt
Line6 Spider III 150

Quote by Philip_pepper

Be sure to be able to recite at least one Shakespeare quote before and after each song.

Out loud, or in your head, it's up to you.
1. listen to other songs you like, and figure out how they are structured, then pick a structure for your song, write it out like you might have for an english paper in school. ex:
I.intro
II. verse
III. chorus
IV.verse
V.solo
VI. chorus
VII.chorus/solo
VIII. outro/solo
2. pick out what you want to do with each part, so chord progressions, riffs, key changes, ect, then write those out, and apply them to your outline.
3. fit lyrics in (i always write musically, then write lyrics, or have lyrics written by a bandmate or freind)
4. finish, record, perform, or whatever the hell you want, because you just wrote a song!
dude, this isnt a question that anyone can give you a solid answer on

its like asking "how do I paint a picture"?

if you need to ask for help on how to write lyrics, you're obviously not a writer so you either practice to get good, or accept that fact that writing lyrics wont be your thing.

typically as a writer you have a theme or message you are trying to convey, and you use your own writing style to verbalize your message. If you cant verbalize what you are trying to say, or dont even know what you are trying to say - then forget the lyrical aspect of music and try working on just creating songs first. sometimes when you hear a song it will make you think of something then the words will just come to you, or the otherway around...you will come up with words/poetry and you will create music to capture the essence of your lyrics

if you havent caught my message here, ill be blunt - there are writer and there are not. you should know which category you fit into

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Well, this seems to be my method of writing a song (although you should naturally have your own or you won't be very unique ) :

1. I am just playing around with random shapes and chords. And I myself LOVE using open strings, especially incorporated in my chords, even if im playing high up on the 9th fret, I'll still have some open strings in there, it gives it a nice sustain and full diverse song. If you find it hard to come up with chords, just move your fingers in completely random positions, stick with that position, then modify it to get a unique tone out of it. Or another thing you can do is use standard chords that we all know and move them up and down the fretboard (with other strings open still).

2. Once I have my main chords and recognize the sound I'm aiming for, I will create two different chord progressions, my verse, and my chorus. Sometimes it's hard to choose which one you want to be the verse or the chorus, but it seems that most of the time the chorus is the "better" one, and can be more upbeat and state the main theme of the song in a more meaningful way, so figure out which one complements your song the best. I also find that verses sound very good when you just play around with the chords you are using and play 1 or 2 strings at a time softly to bring out your lyrics. Then later, after you play the verse or bridge a few times, you can strum those chords you were picking around at and, idk, I just like the sound of it cause the song is building its power . So once you pick around at those chords, choose exactly which strings you will be picking in what order, try to keep it simple though because it won't be easy to play and sing at the same time if you're focusing so much on the guitar.

3. Sooooo, now that we cleared the chorus and verse out of the way, we now have time to focus on the intro. The intro will most likely revolve around the chorus or verse and sound similar, but make sure it's still different. Or it may just fade in with the verse's guitar part, then strum, wait....then jump into the verse.

4. Okay, now a VERY important part IMO is the bridge. The bridge has the job of keeping the listener interested in your song and kick out some of that repetitiveness. I really enjoy a hard and mean/angry bridge, even if it fades into that "hardness", which really upbeats your song and that energy that you put into the loud bridge will lead on with the rest of the song (until maybe the outro). A good example of this building energy is "Everything" by Lifehouse... I don't find there to be any rules for the bridge, just what sounds cool . Oh, and by the way, the bridge may also be a "solo". And it's up to you, you can sing, hum, or just play an instrumental for the bridge, this is where the song is really flexible and you should express your own type of style.

5. And now for the outro, it can be just another cool little riff that fades out, or what I seem to lean towards, a fading chorus, or the intro that fades out or ends with a strum.

6. Alright! Now that you have all of the parts of the song, it's important to decide on the form. An example is:

Intro
Verse 1
Chorus
Verse 2
Chorus
Bridge/Solo
Chorus
Chorus
Outro or fade out chorus

So decide on the form and set in stone exactly what you'll be playing on your instrument and we'll get to the lyrics.

7. And now for the lyrics, some people's favorite, some people's most dreaded part of writing a song (I personally love writing the lyrics ). Everybody has their own way of writing and coming up with lyrics. For me, I don't just sit down and say, "Hey! Lets write some lyrics!". And if I do, I'll end up either writing a really bad song or just sit there banging my head on my guitar. So ya, usually, I'll just be sitting in the car or wherever, whenever, and I'll think of a really sweet line. I write down that line or text it to myself to make sure I don't forget it, then when I really feel like writing a song, I'll use that sentence I wrote earlier and expand on it. I don't want to give you much of a guideline to writing lyrics though because you should find what works for YOU....and I'm lazy when it comes to typing.... But seriously....... ya....

8. SOOOOO..... you have every part of the puzzle, and you should be able to just insert those lyrics into your instrumental you created earlier. Just play around, mix and match, and I highly recommend writing out your WHOLE song and decide on your final draft of it, make sure you're happy with it.

9. And congradulations! You wrote a song! Do whatever you want with it, perform, record, or just keep it to yourself. It's YOURS.... kinda, that's when I'd go look around the forums more about copyrighting...

So, I hope that helped a bit, and remember, this is just my method of writing songs most of the time, but it's always good to modify it and have your own unique way so you get personalized songs out of what you write. Soon you'll be able to easily see your "voice" and what kind of music you write and how you write it.

Make sure you post your songs when you finish them so we can see your work!
Learn how to improvise.

Pick up your guitar and light-heartedly mess about with it.

Try to convey your current state of mind/outlook/whatever into music.

Learn to improvise. Important that one.