I have been curious lately if my playing ability is atleast decent for the amount of time I have been playing. It will be my third year of playing in september, but my whole first year I played maybe 15 minutes a week, because I had trouble enjoying the instrument. However all these people that I know who have been only playing only a bit over year long are almost as good as playing as I am. I'm wondering am I slow or they fast learners. Anyway I'll post my youtube account so if you guys want to watch me play and tell me instead of me telling you. However if you think i am just trying to get views on my vids feel free not to watch.

I can play all of the songs off of the kill 'em all album by Metallica, but I need to learn the solos still ( I have a horrible time learning to play solos). I can play some Iron Maiden songs ( Phantom of the Opera, Mother Russia, Hallowed Be Thy Name and Dance of Death), Spirit Crusher by Death (without the solo). I know a bunch more but I don't feel like listing it all.

My Youtube account (If you want to watch) http://www.youtube.com/user/erikmolyneaux

If you have any questions about my playing I'll answer them because I am really curious, and feel free to tell me I suck, I won't take it the wrong way, I want truthful response!!!!! However if i do suck, please atleast tell me why.
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
I wouldnt say you were slow, you just need to put more time into practise and learning. I also think you need to shoot slighty higher with each song you learn.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by Imalius
I have been curious lately if my playing ability is atleast decent for the amount of time I have been playing. It will be my third year of playing in september, but my whole first year I played maybe 15 minutes a week, because I had trouble enjoying the instrument. However all these people that I know who have been only playing only a bit over year long are almost as good as playing as I am. I'm wondering am I slow or they fast learners. Anyway I'll post my youtube account so if you guys want to watch me play and tell me instead of me telling you. However if you think i am just trying to get views on my vids feel free not to watch.

I can play all of the songs off of the kill 'em all album by Metallica, but I need to learn the solos still ( I have a horrible time learning to play solos). I can play some Iron Maiden songs ( Phantom of the Opera, Mother Russia, Hallowed Be Thy Name and Dance of Death), Spirit Crusher by Death (without the solo). I know a bunch more but I don't feel like listing it all.

My Youtube account (If you want to watch) http://www.youtube.com/user/erikmolyneaux

If you have any questions about my playing I'll answer them because I am really curious, and feel free to tell me I suck, I won't take it the wrong way, I want truthful response!!!!! However if i do suck, please atleast tell me why.

Im a begginner so im not exactly an expert but you appear pretty experienced, you can quite a few songs all the way thru, Id say your good. My only gripe is the sound quality in your videos, its terrible.

But your good and shouldnt be embarrased.
[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/11ioi8n.jpg[/IMG]
We all love the fail-tar!
i think its too hard to tell from the quality of the vid.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
everybody learns at different speeds there are also different things those people might have like lessons and all that
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by VocalValantine
Im a begginner so im not exactly an expert but you appear pretty experienced, you can quite a few songs all the way thru, Id say your good. My only gripe is the sound quality in your videos, its terrible.

But your good and shouldnt be embarrased.

I know I reeeeeally hate the quality of the sound, my camera is terrible.
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by Imalius
I know I reeeeeally hate the quality of the sound, my camera is terrible.

Its no big deal, its just no one takes you seriously with a bad camera especially all these "professionals" here. I really dig your guitar though, it’s pretty nice.

You can get a reasonably good camcorder for about £90 or less, there worth it though because you can do so much including record your band, holidays, life, blogs, solo pieces. Id have to recommend one of the small handheld camcorders.

They do there job.
[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/11ioi8n.jpg[/IMG]
We all love the fail-tar!
Last edited by VocalValantine at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by VocalValantine
Its no big deal, its just no one takes you seriously with a bad camera especially all these "professionals" here. I really dig your guitar though, it’s pretty nice.

You can get a reasonably good camcorder for about £90 or less, there worth it though because you can do so much including record your band, holidays, life, blogs, solo pieces. Id have to recommend one of the small handheld camcorders.

They do there job.

Haha yea I guess your right about nobody taking you seriously, and I'll go take a look for the camcorders.
Quote by andy_thomas
I wouldn't say you suck but some practice and dedication would take you a long way. If you want to improve your solo playing I recommend learning some scales and alt. picking exercises. Also since your into Metallica learn some early Megadeth and Exodus, that made my thrash rhythm and solo work much better.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
hey just took a listen to your spirit crusher cover, and glad to see your into some good bands . I don't think you suck at all man, just clean up your technique alittle bit and just mess around with improvising solo's if you don't think you can learn the real solos. Just try to get into the groove of the song and have fun. Maybe learn a bit of theory and try to create your own music. Once you start doing that then the real fun begins. Don't be so negative with yourself. Its good to be humble and all but try to be confident, and once again have fun with it. Just try to improve at your pace, and ignore others who try and show off, or say they're better then you. If anything use that as motivation to get better, prove them wrong haha. Good luck.

Also check out some of these bands maybe you might like them:
Testament, Helstar, Savatage, Dark Angel, Symphony X, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, and if you want to learn some awesome riffs i would definitely check out Vinnie Moore ( Meltdown and the Maze are my fav albums)
Last edited by CRG123 at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by wildwildwes594
I wouldn't say you suck but some practice and dedication would take you a long way. If you want to improve your solo playing I recommend learning some scales and alt. picking exercises. Also since your into Metallica learn some early Megadeth and Exodus, that made my thrash rhythm and solo work much better.

Yea I wasn't totally dedicated to my playing until febuary this year na dsince then I have been so into playing, every minute I get I wanna play. And I have been doing lots of scales and exercises with a metronome since then. I do really like Megadeth and Exodus, but I just haven't learned anything really by them, so I definately will. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote by CRG123
hey just took a listen to your spirit crusher cover, and glad to see your into some good bands . I don't think you suck at all man, just clean up your technique alittle bit and just mess around with improvising solo's if you don't think you can learn the real solos. Just try to get into the groove of the song and have fun. Maybe learn a bit of theory and try to create your own music. Once you start doing that then the real fun begins. Don't be so negative with yourself. Its good to be humble and all but try to be confident, and once again have fun with it. Just try to improve at your pace, and ignore others who try and show off, or say they're better then you. If anything use that as motivation to get better, prove them wrong haha. Good luck.

Thanks! I know my technique is very sketchy I am working on cleaning it up, and I have been trying to learn some theory lately just haven't reallyt gotten around to learning much.

Also people I know aren't showing off at all or saying they are better, I have just noticed they have done a lot better then I did while learning, mostly because they focused more and I couldn't get into it in the start.
Quote by andy_thomas
Last edited by Imalius at Jul 16, 2009,
try mic-ing your amp other than using the camera mic the actual playing was alright and in time. just the tone had too much treble but was probably due to the built in camera mic.......