I've been playing since the turn of the year and I have an Ibanez Gio (170DX) played through a Roland Cube 20x. The different settings on the amp are ok for what they are if you just want to get an effect/level of distortion for the sake of it, but the tone just generally sounds a bit muddy and strangled. I would like a tube based amp with a more natural sound.

In a few months I will be saving and I don't know whether I should upgrade the guitar or amp first.

My Gio again is ok for what it is, but goes out of tune quite often (albeit only slightly but still annoying) when bending and I'd just like a better guitar at some point just because I do hehe! I've been trying out a few and the Epi Korina Explorer and the Ibanez SZR520 are both nice to play for me.

As far as amps go, I mainly play metal and rock. I really like the sound of the Peavey Valveking 112, but I also heard somebody playing through a Classic 30 in a music store at the weekend and it sounded really crisp!

So, the question is would you recommend getting new guitar or new amp? If amp, Valveking or Classic? My budget is £400.
Last edited by Rargh at Jul 16, 2009,
do you gig?
can you go used?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
umm, id say amp, i prefer the sound of a tube amp
and if u can crank it up it would be sick!!
about the valveking or classic, try to be more specific with ur playing style not just genres, specify some bands
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
do you gig?
can you go used?

Sorry, I forgot to add - I'm only a bedroom player at the moment. Used? As long as it works ok I'm fine. My cube was second hand from a friend.
Quote by Rargh
Sorry, I forgot to add - I'm only a bedroom player at the moment. Used? As long as it works ok I'm fine. My cube was second hand from a friend.

Get a guitar without an FR, but if you only stay in one tuning then get the Ibanez S.

since you are a bedroom player your amp will suffice
feel free to add me
Quote by soloXshredder
umm, id say amp, i prefer the sound of a tube amp
and if u can crank it up it would be sick!!
about the valveking or classic, try to be more specific with ur playing style not just genres, specify some bands

Bands? Metallica (both the thrash and the 1990s styles), Megadeth, Slayer, 80s thrash in general, Pantera, RATM, Lamb Of God, KSE, Maiden - but then I also like Oasis, The Eagles, Led Zep, Chilis and loads of other bands. Basically, if it involves six strings I'll give it a go, but the thrashier end of metal is my main port of call.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Get a guitar without an FR, but if you only stay in one tuning then get the Ibanez S.

since you are a bedroom player your amp will suffice

That's the thing though, I just don't like the distortion out of it. It just seems a bit too........synthetic? Would I notice the benefits of a new guitar through the same amp?
Quote by Rargh
That's the thing though, I just don't like the distortion out of it. It just seems a bit too........synthetic?

Oh OK.

then Get a Blackstar HT-5 and buy an OD to get to the heaviez.
i also suggest saving up for a USED Guitar.
a good amp going to a crap guitar still sounds ok but if you dont like the feel of your guitar then you will loose interest in playing, trust me you will.
its happening to me right now I dont have the urge to play because im always frustrated on my Epi
feel free to add me
^dam dude, i know wat ur goin through
i had my crappy strat and then i just hgated playin, then i got my LTD alexi and i never drop it

and TS, u should get an blackstar HT-5 with an OD, i think u could afford a tubescreamer with it, if not get a bad monkey (its like the tubescreamer only for people on a budget)

EDIT: alf, u should bug ur parents for a new guitar
try somethin with a floyd (licensed or otherwise) and 24 frets
i prefer Vs but thats just me
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Last edited by soloXshredder at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by soloXshredder
^dam dude, i know wat ur goin through
i had my crappy strat and then i just hgated playin, then i got my LTD alexi and i never drop it

and TS, u should get an blackstar HT-5 with an OD, i think u could afford a tubescreamer with it, if not get a bad monkey (its like the tubescreamer only for people on a budget)

This is where I ask a stupid n00b question. How does an OD pedal actually work with a tube amp? I mean, do you not just use the lead channel for your gain? Or do you stomp the OD on over your amp gain to give it that extra+?
Quote by soloXshredder

Recession + Parents with jobs that doesnt give that much money = No new stuff

im saving for a Schecter C-1 Classic or a USED Ibanez S Prestige or an RG3120
feel free to add me
well hope u can get some new gear alf, good luck
u could try getting a job if ur not as lazy as me

and Rargh, ya an OD pedal will give it that little something extra, it gives u kind of a screaming lead, and ive heard some1 say it can cause some distortion for the better, dunno if its true or not
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Oh OK.

a good amp going to a crap guitar still sounds ok but if you dont like the feel of your guitar then you will loose interest in playing, trust me you will.
its happening to me right now I dont have the urge to play because im always frustrated on my Epi

Cool. Thanks for the info.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Oh OK.

You've got an Epi Les Paul Standard. It could be a lot, lot worse for you Alfred.
Quote by Rargh
This is where I ask a stupid n00b question. How does an OD pedal actually work with a tube amp? I mean, do you not just use the lead channel for your gain? Or do you stomp the OD on over your amp gain to give it that extra+?

Well, say you get the blackstar, It has a Clean and a Lead Channel. You could use a OD on the clean to get a nice crunchy tone, or you could use it on the lead channel like a crazy boost and get a lot of gain out of it. It what you wanna do.

But i agree completely with Alf get the blackstar it'll be a good investment. Then a Dist or OD box. I'd recommend just getting a EHX Metal Muff and a BBE Sonic Stomp. But thats me. Hhahaha
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
Well, say you get the blackstar, It has a Clean and a Lead Channel. You could use a OD on the clean to get a nice crunchy tone, or you could use it on the lead channel like a crazy boost and get a lot of gain out of it. It what you wanna do.

But i agree completely with Alf get the blackstar it'll be a good investment. Then a Dist or OD box. I'd recommend just getting a EHX Metal Muff and a BBE Sonic Stomp. But thats me. Hhahaha

Ahhh, gotcha! OD + Clean = crunchy rock tone. OD + Lead = METAL WITH MORE ADDED METAL!!!!

Are we talking head/stack or combo? Another n00b FAIL question - the combo seems to be 5watts, shurely shome mishtake, Mish Moneypenny?
Jackson PDX Demmelition w/ EMG 81/85
Vintage Lemon Drop w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Dean Z Bubinga w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Blackstar HT-5 combo
Last edited by Rargh at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by Rargh
Ahhh, gotcha! OD + Clean = crunchy rock tone. OD + Lead = METAL WITH MORE ADDED METAL!!!!

Are we talking head/stack or combo? Another n00b FAIL question - the combo seems to be 5watts, shurely shome mishtake, Mish Moneypenny?

Yeah dude for practice space that 5w will get you far. And it sounds good. If you wanna go with the head and cab blackstar that works too. And that one looks cooler haha. But they will both do fine and are both 5watts.

5 watts tube and 5 watts solid state are TOTALLY different. 5 watts solid state would be like nothing haha. But yeah dude. Alf knows his ****. Get a blackstar and a pedal sounds right up your alley.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
Yeah dude for practice space that 5w will get you far. And it sounds good. If you wanna go with the head and cab blackstar that works too. And that one looks cooler haha. But they will both do fine and are both 5watts.

5 watts tube and 5 watts solid state are TOTALLY different. 5 watts solid state would be like nothing haha. But yeah dude. Alf knows his ****. Get a blackstar and a pedal sounds right up your alley.

Haha! I was gonna say, my Cube is only 20 watts. So now I know Tube wattage>Solid state wattage. Thanks again!

Blackstar HT-5 combo
Quote by Rargh
Haha! I was gonna say, my Cube is only 20 watts. So now I know Tube wattage>Solid state wattage. Thanks again!

Yeah no problem, g'luck.
I'd definitely go for a new guitar first. The GIO series are very poor guitars, I strongly recommend you upgrade that. Unless you're gigging, the Cube 20 is a nice little practice amp and will do fine for now.

If you spend the cash on a new guitar, you can still get much better practice tones by getting some amp sim osftware on your PC. Best compromise I can come up with.
Quote by kyle62
I'd definitely go for a new guitar first. The GIO series are very poor guitars, I strongly recommend you upgrade that. Unless you're gigging, the Cube 20 is a nice little practice amp and will do fine for now.

If you spend the cash on a new guitar, you can still get much better practice tones by getting some amp sim osftware on your PC. Best compromise I can come up with.

Yeah, I figured that they wouldn't be that great as it only cost £190 and was the cheapest "Name" guitar that I could find (before getting into the realm of £99 Strat copies made by ASDA or somebody!) I don't like the fact that there are no locking nuts and it can't stay in tune for s***! I also have problems with the fact that you can only raise the tone half a step with the trem.

As somebody who doesn't know that much in general about the ins and outs of guitars, what is it that is so bad about the Gios? Is my muddy tone as much to so with the stock pickups as much as the amp itself? etc.

Saying that, considering that I'm a beginner, the guitar is seemingly doing ok for me given it's price. I'm not a good enough player to know what is the fault of the guitar and the fault of my playing!

Blackstar HT-5 combo
Last edited by Rargh at Jul 19, 2009,