Hello there, I'm new to this Forums. I have been playing guitar for 9 years now. I have just one question as of right now. I recently got into Jimi Hendrix. He has this wonderful style of playing that just blows me away every time. Its the Chord/melody style you hear on songs like Bold as Love and Little Wing. I was just wondering if any of you guys new a book or a website that FULLY discussed this style of playing. I looked on google and it only gave me websites that taught his songs. I want something that breaks it down fully, if there is such a thing. Anyways thanks again for listening and I hope to make many new guitar friends here.

Ryan
9 years and you're just now getting into Hendrix?! Thats pretty hard to believe..
1989 Fender MIA Strat Ultra
2006 Fender Standard Strat
1985 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Martin SPD-16R

Fender Blues Deluxe

Fulltone OCD :
EH Memory Man
Xotic RC Booster
Boss RC-20XL(looper)
Use your thumb for the root notes.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
^ indeed, if your a beginner just say.

but to your question, no, probably not. however you can just do it yourself, learn the songs you like and deconstruct them.
Quote by stef123
Use your thumb for the root notes.

lol,

study his songs yourself, you'll get a firm understanding of his style if you study his work. I don't know any links to a site that "breaks down his songs" like you're looking for
Quote by DeFreezer01
Hello there, I'm new to this Forums. I have been playing guitar for 9 years now. I have just one question as of right now. I recently got into Jimi Hendrix. He has this wonderful style of playing that just blows me away every time. Its the Chord/melody style you hear on songs like Bold as Love and Little Wing. I was just wondering if any of you guys new a book or a website that FULLY discussed this style of playing. I looked on google and it only gave me websites that taught his songs. I want something that breaks it down fully, if there is such a thing. Anyways thanks again for listening and I hope to make many new guitar friends here.

Ryan

Why don't you start by actually learning the songs.

Then you truly have something to analyze and understand. Besides that it's fun & inspiring.

here try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkuDGGRmBpU&feature=channel_page

Learn to play it 1st. Then analyze

Quote by Peaceful Rocker
lol,

study his songs yourself, you'll get a firm understanding of his style if you study his work. I don't know any links to a site that "breaks down his songs" like you're looking for

+ 1
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 16, 2009,
http://www.amazon.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Experience/dp/0793591449

this is my hendrix bible pretty much - it has a half page or so dicussion of style/brief analysis of the song which is quite nice, not a great level of detail but it'll say things like "he mainly stuck in the minor pentatonic in the solo, except for bar x where he draws from the major" etc.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
TS; I agree

His Chord/melody style of playing is IMO far greater then his lead playing, and is 1 thing that genuinely affected my own guitar playing.

I'd start of by just learning his songs that use it.

This will give you the basics, and what is "definitely" possible as far as technique (+ rhythm) go.

It also might inspire you into musical possibilities (note choices and composition)

After that, you can build on that by playing other notes or different rhythms.

Learning his stuff does save you a lot of time as opposed to "re-inventing" it yourself, to give a base to work off.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
TS; I agree

His Chord/melody style of playing is IMO far greater then his lead playing, and is 1 thing that genuinely affected my own guitar playing.

not to be a jerk, but why bring up a versus perspective? The TS never implied anything about Hendrix's lead playing in a comparative way to his rhythm playing.

The VS perspective = another pointless debate based on personal opinion.

I mean IMO Hendrix's lead playing was excellent. In no way "less good" than his chordal playing.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
not to be a jerk, but why bring up a versus perspective? The TS never implied anything about Hendrix's lead playing in a comparative way to his rhythm playing.

The VS perspective = another pointless debate based on personal opinion.

I mean IMO Hendrix's lead playing was excellent. In no way "less good" than his chordal playing.

I didn't mean to imply a vs debate.

It was more an envy towards it and I just put that in to make it more envying (if that makes sense).

I also put it in, because I envy that others pay attention to his chordal style as well, instead of seeing him as the "omg HEndrix makes pr0n with feedback".

If I wanted to make a VS thread, I'd make my own thread with a poll.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
thirty plus years after i first heard jimi...for those who were not there...you have to consider this...when jimi came to the US from england, where he already was hot and had the first experience album and all...no one played anything near what he did..yeah there were some guys that could play behind their back and all..and it sounded like it...but not like jime..who was as at home picking with his teeth as with a pick or fingers...try playing the solo to hey joe with your teeth..and make it sound natural, smooth and soulful...

other things to consider...when a guitarist is in a trio..and he is the "the man" or woman...everything played is "lead" guitar...if you differentiate lead from rhythm as single notes and chords..you may find your limiting your own perception of the instrament..as some
chord solos are far more harmonically challenging and ear pleasing than long, super fast passages of "scales gone wild" and son of "scales gone wild"...

other things to consider regarding hendrix...his studio work...again he made sounds and explored new approaches...backward playing...multi-track stacking etc...that altered the sound of guitar to this day..

enjoy learning the short musical life of jimi hendrix..we have his music forever through the medium of technology

play well

wolf
I guess it should also be noted that when Jimi hit the scene, Fender Stratocasters were known as the "surf guitar", it's trademark sound was linked to the Beach Boys and other similar surf bands of the time. After Jimi they increased in popularity immensely, along with the price
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud