I recently got a new guitar, a Dean Vendetta 4.0 and I'm very happy with it, but there's a little problem. When I play legato beyond the 12th fret, the notes come out very compressed, and sometimes barely ring out at all. It feels like I have to press really hard to get them to come out. I'm sure the problem isn't from my technique because I've played using legato on other guitars, and the notes sounded perfect, even on ones that had smaller frets. Could it be that the pickups are low output? Has anybody ever faced the same problem? Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Amer91 at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by Amer91
I recently got a new guitar, a Dean Vendetta 4.0 and I'm very happy with it, but there's a little problem. When I play legato beyond the 12th fret, the notes come out very compressed, and sometimes barely ring out at all. It feels like I have to press really hard to get them to come out. I'm sure the problem isn't from my technique because I've played using legato on other guitars, and the notes sounded perfect, even on ones that had smaller frets. Could it be that the pickups are low output? Has anybody ever faced the same problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe your action is really high?
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
No my action is medium, and I'm using a 9-42 set if that makes any difference.
maybe you just need to practice your legato? that or maybe your guitar needs a setup.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
The pickup height is a bit low, I'll try increasing it a bit. As I said before, I've played legato on other guitars, and it sounded fine so I'm sure my technique is not the problem. Even on this guitar it sounds fine unplugged, but when I plug it to my pedal and amp, the legato notes sound really low. I'm guessing it's either the action, the pickup height, or the pickup's output. I still prefer to get more opinions about this issue.
Well from what I've heard if you raise your pickup you lose sustain so that isn't good for your legato runs either...maybe you need to work on your technique a bit, practice it on a relatively clean channel and see if it makes any difference.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Quote by the_wayward_one
Well from what I've heard if you raise your pickup you lose sustain so that isn't good for your legato runs either...maybe you need to work on your technique a bit, practice it on a relatively clean channel and see if it makes any difference.

I kept the pickup height the same way as I got, which is pretty decent.Like I said before, my technique is fine, I play legato perfectly on other guitars. I'm not just talking about complex legato runs, I mean a simple trill sounds weak as hell on the higher register. The notes have very low volume.
There´s nothing quite like playing on a guitar like that to improve your technique. There are some techniques I can do on some of my guitars but not others. That means that my technique is lacking because I cannot perform under more difficult circumstances. Once I can do a technique on all of my guitars then I know that I have it down well.
If you´re doing it like that video then it is your technique. When you do pull offs you swipe your finger to the side a bit instead of pulling straight up. You´re almost plucking the string with the fingers of your left hand. Then for hammer ons his fingers are way to far from the frets which takes away a lot of your leverage.

On a high output guitar that would somewhat work. If you just switched to a low output guitar it will be harder to do legato that way.
Quote by Vlasco
If you´re doing it like that video then it is your technique. When you do pull offs you swipe your finger to the side a bit instead of pulling straight up. You´re almost plucking the string with the fingers of your left hand. Then for hammer ons his fingers are way to far from the frets which takes away a lot of your leverage.

On a high output guitar that would somewhat work. If you just switched to a low output guitar it will be harder to do legato that way.

I'm not doing what this guy is, I tend to keep my fingers close to the strings to prevent unnecessary movement. Anyways, this video I found is to show you how the volume is lowering when I play legato on the higher register. I've been playing guitar, and legato, for a long time, so I don't think it's really my technique. I guess I'm having trouble describing the problem. It's almost as if a really strong noise gate is turned on and it's stopping the notes from ringing out.
Quote by Vlasco
There´s nothing quite like playing on a guitar like that to improve your technique. There are some techniques I can do on some of my guitars but not others. That means that my technique is lacking because I cannot perform under more difficult circumstances. Once I can do a technique on all of my guitars then I know that I have it down well.

this
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I had a few dead notes on my Jackson, a 1/8 turn of the truss rod fixed it. I doubt its the pups. Like I said, how does it sound unpugged??
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by Amer91
I'm not doing what this guy is, I tend to keep my fingers close to the strings to prevent unnecessary movement. Anyways, this video I found is to show you how the volume is lowering when I play legato on the higher register. I've been playing guitar, and legato, for a long time, so I don't think it's really my technique. I guess I'm having trouble describing the problem. It's almost as if a really strong noise gate is turned on and it's stopping the notes from ringing out.

You´re almost going to have to make a video yourself then.
The notes DO ring out unplugged. I would post a video, but I don't have a decent camera unfortunately.
Last edited by Amer91 at Jul 17, 2009,
Any way to audio record? A B compare it as unplugged to plugged?
Oh, I guess it must be the pups then. I had a different problem with similar results I guess. If it sounds good unplugged its not the action, try adjusting the pups, if your usually playing with actives it may be that they just sound different than your used to.
Unfortunately no, I'm going to experiment with the action a bit and take it to a technician to check it out. Thanks for the help guys.
Quote by Tempoe
Oh, I guess it must be the pups then. I had a different problem with similar results I guess. If it sounds good unplugged its not the action, try adjusting the pups, if your usually playing with actives it may be that they just sound different than your used to.

I'm not using active pickups, I'm using the stock passive pickups and I just tried out the guitar again, and the notes don't really ring out clearly unplugged (when playing legato), especially beyond the 15th fret.
OK, just as I thought. Try action &/or truss adjustment, 1/8 turn at a time (tighter or looser). You will find the sweet spot and your legato will be great.
Do everything in very small increments and try it again to see if its better or worse.

Also, is it bad on all the strings or just one?
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by Tempoe
OK, just as I thought. Try action &/or truss adjustment, 1/8 turn at a time (tighter or looser). You will find the sweet spot and your legato will be great.
Do everything in very small increments and try it again to see if its better or worse.

Also, is it bad on all the strings or just one?

All the strings, it worked for you?
Quote by Vlasco
Make sure you measure properly.

You mean the 1/8 of a turn? What tool would you recommend? And wouldn't messing with the truss rod have a bad effect on the neck?
I mean the measurement of the relief.

Fret the first and last frets on the E string together Look at somewhere about the 8th fret or so and see how much distance is from the fret to the string. If it is touching the fret you need more relief - if is more than a credit card height then you need to tighten it.

It could also be possible that you have some high frets or your action is messed up or a couple other things. Measure that before you adjust the truss rod. So well as you are well informed and follow instructions then it isn´t a bad thing to adjust it.
I'm going to give that a shot, but I don't have time now, I'll do it later. Thanks to everyone for the help, if something goes wrong, I will post on this thread for more help.