Page 1 of 2
So I've been looking at numerous Schecter guitars, and I've taken a huge interest in the Hellraiser series, more specifically, the Hellraiser C-1 FR. I have been playing guitar for about a year and a half (upgrading from a Dean DBD T), and this will be my first guitar with a Floyd. I also need the 24 frets.

I've taken an interest in improv soloing, artificial harmonics "squealies," and fast lead lines. But I also love to chug out some powerchords and play some killer chord progressions. The Dean neck is very thin (but not flat, C shaped) and the nut width is 1 11/16" which appears to be a standard on most 6 string guitars, so playing fast is on this neck is like breathing.

My question is, would a Hellraiser C-1 FR meet up to my standards? I have an open mind toward ESP's and Ibanez guitars, too. Feel free to suggest anything.

Thank you very much.

P.S. I've had 3 black guitars in a row (a fender Starcaster, Samick acoustic and the Dean, so please don't suggest guitars that only come in black) and I think it would be tacky if I got another black guitar.
Well, with the EMG 81/89 combo it sounds like every other guitar with EMG 81/89s. What I'm saying is that active EMG's tend to make guitars sound very similar. Schecter necks are a bit thinner than a Gibson LP so you definitely want to try one before you buy. I've heard alot of good thing about the FRs on the Hellraiser series so supposedly they're quality.

Depending on what genres you want to be able to cover I would suggest looking at other Schecter guitars in the C-1 series such as the Plus, Classic, and Elite.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I think you will like the Hellraiser....the necks are a little on the thick side, compared to an Ibanez or ESP.

The Ibanez RG350 or RG370 series might be right up your ally if you like really thin necks. They also have 24 frets and a floating tremelo.

And who cares if you get another black guitar? If you like it then **** what everyone else thinks. The color of the guitar has nothing to do with how it sounds and plays.
I can only suggest the C-1 Blackjack ATX FR. Blackouts raep everything that is EMG
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
I am not sure exactly what your standards are but I have one hanging on my wall behind me and it is a fantastic guitar. But it also comes down to personal taste. I would say to go for it, but you may not like it. The best thing you can do is to go pick one up and jam on it for a while at a store. But in my opinion I would go for it if you have the money.
since you are still new to the world of guitars, my only suggestion is go out and play Ibanez, ESP, Schecter, and anything else you can get your paws on....you need to see what feels good to you first, then worry about the less important things like color etc...

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Well I also need flexibility, because I play many styles of music and I figured with the coil tap I would get a chance to work with some decent single coils.

The BlackJack ATX C-1 I have mixed feelings about. It has an ebony fingerboard, and I'm not a huge fan of those on a guitar vs. rosewood. And I heard mixed opinions about the blackouts. I don't want a balls-out metal guitar. That's not the only style that I play.

Like with many of the schecter guitars, the hellraiser has the 81/89 combo, does anyone have a guitar with 85/81 or the combo with the 60 (81/60)?

And black is cool... but honestly, I'd rather have a white guitar with a black trim. Or the Blue ESP Deluxe MH-1000 with EMGs, ESP LTD F2-E (I'd replace the pickups), OR the ESP Deluxe EC-1000 in blue.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 16, 2009,
The Hellraiser Deluxe is 500 USD and has the 81/85 combo. My bud has a Jackson RR3 with the same setup and like I said before they're kinda sterile. I prefer Blackouts for cleans. If you don't want a flat out metal guitar than definitely check out the C-1 Classic. I just bought one so I'm a bit biased ATM but it really is a great guitar and all the reviews agree.

Quote by srob7001
I think you will like the Hellraiser....the necks are a little on the thick side, compared to an Ibanez or ESP.

The Ibanez RG350 or RG370 series might be right up your ally if you like really thin necks. They also have 24 frets and a floating tremelo.

And who cares if you get another black guitar? If you like it then **** what everyone else thinks. The color of the guitar has nothing to do with how it sounds and plays.

+1 IMHO

Schecters are a real hit or miss guitar
my friend swears by his C1, I'd play my RG over it ANY DAY
the neck seems to thick and sticky.

My gf wanted the V Schecter I told her the EXACT same thing, and she agreed with me 100 percent the moment she picked it up. And in the end she came away with an Ibanez Prestige

I;d say try it out FIRST

Personally i think they are beautiful guitars (love the cross inlays, very sabbath), but i dont like the necks one bit, to thick and sticky
Quote by diofan88
+1 IMHO

Schecters are a real hit or miss guitar
my friend swears by his C1, I'd play my RG over it ANY DAY

My gf wanted the V Schecter I told her the EXACT same thing, and she agreed with me 100 percent the moment she picked it up
. And in the end she came away with an Ibanez Prestige

I;d say try it out FIRST

Personally i think they are beautiful guitars (love the cross inlays, very sabbath), but i dont like the necks one bit, to thick and sticky

thats girls for you.

anyway schecters are great..the neck is only too thick if you have baby hands. its all about hand positioning. c1s are the gap between les pauls which sound great but are tougher to shred on, and ibanez type guitars, which are easy to play on but sound like toys a lot of the time.
Quote by Gakbez
I can only suggest the C-1 Blackjack ATX FR. Blackouts raep everything that is EMG

The Duncans are deffinatly better but I don't know about the guitars themselves so I can't help.
thats girls for you.

anyway schecters are great..the neck is only too thick if you have baby hands. its all about hand positioning. QUOTE]

Cough......bull ****....cough.. cough.

I have pretty big hands and I still think the schecter necks are a bit on the thick side. Not thick like a Les Paul, but fairly thick...remind me of how strat necks feel.

And how do Ibanez guitars sound like toys? YOu mean to tell me Vai, Satch, and Gilbert have "toy guitar" tones??

How long have you been playing guitar?
Last edited by srob7001 at Jul 16, 2009,
I'd kill to get prestige (S5470 or RG3550MZ). But I'm only planning on saving up $1000 at the most.

I've been told I have perfect hand posture, and the only thing I have a problem with on fatter necks is barre chords (including jazz chords).

I played my guitar teacher's Jackson Dinky with EMG HZ's, and I love that neck. Would an Ibanez neck be similar to a Jackon Dinky's?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Would an Ibanez neck be similar to a Jackon Dinky's?

Yes.....Ibanez, Jackson, and ESP guitars all have very similar necks.
Quote by srob7001
Yes.....Ibanez, Jackson, and ESP guitars all have very similar necks.

Alright, sweet.

Has anyone played the Ibanez Xiphos XPT700 with 27 frets? I hear it's very unbalanced, but the 27 frets and flat neck... sounds like shredder's dream.
Quote by 46+0
thats girls for you.

anyway schecters are great..the neck is only too thick if you have baby hands. its all about hand positioning. c1s are the gap between les pauls which sound great but are tougher to shred on, and ibanez type guitars, which are easy to play on but sound like toys a lot of the time.

ahahh
women
they know nothing of the rock and or roll

and i dunno man
im 6'3

i have pretty damn big hands, and i dont like the necks one bit, but that is just me

and hey...my Ibby dont sound like a toy, that thing screams

but i feel im getting off topic...
Quote by diofan88
ahahh
women
they know nothing of the rock and or roll

and i dunno man
im 6'3

i have pretty damn big hands, and i dont like the necks one bit, but that is just me

and hey...my Ibby dont sound like a toy, that thing screams

but i feel im getting off topic...

Ok...at least i'm not the only one who thought that post was complete and utter BS.
Quote by srob7001
Ok...at least i'm not the only one who thought that post was complete and utter BS.

Without a doubt mate

But to TS

really, try it out.

I said they are kinda hit and miss, this thread seems to prove that
Quote by srob7001

Little off. But its cool.

The guitarist for A Static Lullaby (FYI, I'm not a huge fan of them) played a schecter hellraiser solo-6 and a corsair. Got some pretty nice metal tones and riffs out of both of them. That kind of leaned me into schecters more. But of course a fancy famous band has killer effects and pedals and whatnot...

Honestly, I want a guitar under $1000, sounds badass, looks sexy/badass, has 24 frets, a FR, and has a thin neck. lol.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Little off. But its cool.

The guitarist for A Static Lullaby (FYI, I'm not a huge fan of them) played a schecter hellraiser solo-6 and a corsair. Got some pretty nice metal tones and riffs out of both of them. That kind of leaned me into schecters more. But of course a fancy famous band has killer effects and pedals and whatnot...

Honestly, I want a guitar under $1000, sounds badass, looks sexy/badass, has 24 frets, a FR, and has a thin neck. lol.

Prestige model Ibanez, or a Jackson Soloist

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DK2S-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-w--Sustainiac--184--520320-i1447152.gc

great guitar

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG1570-Electric-Guitar-519965-i1150869.gc

greatEr guitars

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG1550M-Electric-Guitar-501362-i1435784.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGR1570-Electric-Guitar-514538-i1323526.gc
Last edited by diofan88 at Jul 16, 2009,
I like the second ibanez the most.

i've always wondered what the purpose of a single coil between to humbuckers was, though.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I like the second ibanez the most.

i've always wondered what the purpose of a single coil between to humbuckers was, though.

more tones, much more tones
Quote by diofan88
more tones, much more tones

The Ibanez will probably be the first RED guitar I'll ever buy.
Unless it drops in price, then I'll get it in blue.

I wanna see the other colors of the Jackson, but I hate how Musician's Friend doesn't have all of them and GC only has the picture of it in red.
Alright, I hate to be "that guy", but I really don't like Ibanez until you get into the Prestige models. I would strongly suggest you make sure you try out the Ibz's first, because their necks have the opposite effect on me, so who knows, maybe you're the same way. Either way, Schecter Hellraiser's are nice. As mentioned before, the neck is a little on the thick side, and the EMG's are pretty sterile, but it is a good guitar. I would sugges t a Jackson Soloist. Those things are amazing.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by CaparisonCore
Alright, I hate to be "that guy", but I really don't like Ibanez until you get into the Prestige models. I would strongly suggest you make sure you try out the Ibz's first, because their necks have the opposite effect on me, so who knows, maybe you're the same way. Either way, Schecter Hellraiser's are nice. As mentioned before, the neck is a little on the thick side, and the EMG's are pretty sterile, but it is a good guitar. I would sugges t a Jackson Soloist. Those things are amazing.

I looked at the Jackson soloist in my price range, and I'm not digging it.

As for the RG1570, that has a prestige wizard neck or whatever.
But honestly, thats where I get lost with Ibanez stuff.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Does anyone play a Steinberger?

I have and yuck!!!
Hes not lieing they suck eggs.Anyway I have the Hellraiser FR and I like it.I dont like it as much as other guitars like Esps,Ibanezs, and a GOOD Dean(although thos are hard to come by now a days).Just go to Guitar Center they always have schecters in stock and play a few to see if you like it.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Oh. I'd think with the EMG's that most of those Steinberger's have, they would sound half decent. But it's interesting because they almost appear to be like, generic EMG's under then EMG name.

I hear the neck's a pretty damn beefy, and not much of a shredder guitar but more like a Traveler guitar. Which for the price, those Traveler guitars are probably better.

Oh lets see.... has anyone played an ESP EC-1000 with or without the FR?
Quote by diofan88
+1 IMHO

unless you fap before and dont wash your hands its not sticky at all,
and the neck is not that thick either unless you have baby hands,
i have played jacksons, ibanez's(also own one), and pretty much any other shred type guitars the only guitar i would rather have than my Hellraiser is a PRS SE Custom double cut, but other than that it is an amazing guitar
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
dude dont get hell raiser
acording ur preferences and standards
a schecter c-1 elite in white is perfect for u
try them out reasearch em first tho
I dont get what people have against Schecter necks. My Classic's neck is nearly the same as my ESP's except its faster and maybe a bit slimmer. Though, I have heard that the Classic necks are thinner than the usual Schecter neck (I still love the shape though).

I'm thinking about getting an ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in blue.
But I don't understand how it's a 24.75" scale with 24 XJ frets....
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'm thinking about getting an ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in blue.
But I don't understand how it's a 24.75" scale with 24 XJ frets....

well it has 24 frets that xj size on a 24.75" scale but no seriously what don't you understand? the fact that ltd got an extra 2 frets in? well they just moved the neck pickup back a bit to accomodate for the space.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
well it has 24 frets that xj size on a 24.75" scale but no seriously what don't you understand? the fact that ltd got an extra 2 frets in? well they just moved the neck pickup back a bit to accomodate for the space.

THANK YOU!

I figured it out for the EC-1000 with the FR:
The Floyd is positioned closer to the bridge pickup than the tune-o-matic to the bridge pick up.

But they also would have had to put the neck pick up back on the FR version, just not as much.
I have a hellraiser sunset and I love it. The emg's are perfect for metal and the neck is not as thick as everyone makes it out to be, but I'm not sure what the differences are between the hellraiser sunset and the normal hellraiser.
EDIT-Also the coil-tap on the sunset allows for a ton of different tones which I love to play around with.
Last edited by Thrill-house at Jul 19, 2009,
Ok. The Schecter Hellraiser is an amazing guitar but I would Recommend a Blackjack ATX over it. The Neck on the ATX is SMOOOOOOTH not Sticky at all. I don't find it thick and it plays like a dream. IMO blackouts > EMG. And the bigger scale length will definitely help you in shredding. Go for the Schecter.
You'd have to pay me to make me buy a Blackjack ATX. So un-versatile and all schecters have a 25.5 scale length...
Schecters are good guitars but you need to find one that's good for you. For example a GC employee told me to try out the Damien. I hated it.
Page 1 of 2