Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get an acoustic and originally I was looking at the Ibanez EW series and the Ovation Celebrity series. The former because they looked cool and the latter because I like the idea of a bowl back. But research has led me to understand that neither are very popular because of cheap woods in the case of the Ibanez and poor acoustic sound in the case of the Ovation. Correct?

Basically my only real requirements are:

1. Cutaway
2. Electronics (built in tuner would be a cool bonus)
3. Body is not too thick - I played a few acoustics at a shop and that's the only real thing I didn't like about a lot of them

The Seagull S6 seems to be recommended a lot, but the only thing that bothers me about it is the fact that it doesn't have a cutaway.

My budget is up to ~£300
Last edited by thedonutman at Jul 16, 2009,
Epiphone Masterbilt off of EBay. Great guitars and you can get them for reasonable prices off of EBay right now (they have recently been discontinued so finding them at all is a little difficult but I got one off of EBay for $200 and it's magical...not acoustic electric though, I just bought a pickup for it).

EDIT: I would say the DR models aren't too thick, general dreadnought sizes. AJ's are probably on the big side. Neither of the two have cutaways but the EF Masterbilts do and they are thinner.
Last edited by mattvl at Jul 16, 2009,
the ovations in your price range aren't exactly cheap woods - they're laminated woods, which cut down on sustain and nuace and usually on volume.

if you can live without the cutaway, i'd recommend the yamaha fgx730s, but it won't have the thinner body. i see that there's also an acoustic electric alvarez in the regent series for a low price, but i haven't tried it. keep in mind that both these guitars have thin necks.

here's one seagull that might be in your price range, and would be if used
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Entourage-Series-Dreadnought-Mini-Jumbo-QI-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516908

i find mini jumbos far more comfortable to hold than dreads, so even if it's not thinner body, it could be good for you.

the seagull "the original s6", btw, is a great guitar. i ended up with one because of the sound and the neck and i love playing it.

Quote by thedonutman
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get an acoustic and originally I was looking at the Ibanez EW series and the Ovation Celebrity series. The former because they looked cool and the latter because I like the idea of a bowl back. But research has led me to understand that neither are very popular because of cheap woods in the case of the Ibanez and poor acoustic sound in the case of the Ovation. Correct?

Basically my only real requirements are:

1. Cutaway
2. Electronics (built in tuner would be a cool bonus)
3. Body is not too thick - I played a few acoustics at a shop and that's the only real thing I didn't like about a lot of them

The Seagull S6 seems to be recommended a lot, but the only thing that bothers me about it is the fact that it doesn't have a cutaway.

My budget is up to ~£300