Okay quick question. I love the sound of the ENGL Fireball. I got to record a demo with one a month back and since have been saving up my pennies to get one. All i'm worried about is that it's only 60 watts. My marshall right now is 120 watts and it stands out. The tone sucks, but its loud. I need a good tone for playing live and playing LOUD. I've seen a couple people say that if you use a fireball with another guitarist then don't bother because when you get mixed in the other guitar is going to over ride you. I'm just curious to experiences others have had with playing out and playing with this head. Thanks a lot guys. UG community share your infitinite wisdom.
^what he said, because if its a solid state they come out to be about the same.,
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

My marshall is a tube i think that's why it has so much umph. I just don't want to be put out of the show if the other guy is playing a tube amp of higher wattage when i'm the lead player in the band. Second question. If i'm going to run two cabinets is it best to keep them the same brand? Or will it even matter at all? As long as the ohmage is the same i'm good right?
Quote by afallenone
Okay quick question. I love the sound of the ENGL Fireball. I got to record a demo with one a month back and since have been saving up my pennies to get one. All i'm worried about is that it's only 60 watts. My marshall right now is 120 watts and it stands out. The tone sucks, but its loud. I need a good tone for playing live and playing LOUD. I've seen a couple people say that if you use a fireball with another guitarist then don't bother because when you get mixed in the other guitar is going to over ride you. I'm just curious to experiences others have had with playing out and playing with this head. Thanks a lot guys. UG community share your infitinite wisdom.

Then go with the New E 635 Fireball its a 100 watts.

And the reason metal tube amps need higher wattage is due to headroom. Most people dont like power tube saturation in the mix. Also ss amps need headroom to avoid clipping. The 60 watt fireball and even my Ultra in 60 watt mode didnt sound as good as a 100+ watt amp. The more you crank it the more saturation you get. And for tight metal that is the opposite of what you want. Now if he was playing classic rock or blues then yea smaller wattage is key..

So thats the facts... From there it depends on what genre you play...
Yeah i saw that, except i was trying to see if i could get away with saving the extra 300 bucks. But once you get so far up in price range 300 bucks seems like nothing. Thanks a lot guys.

My question now is. What kind of cabinets shoudl I use. I got duped into buying a line 6 cabinet. But there's celestion speakers inside of it. So I think that should do the trick right?
Last edited by afallenone at Jul 16, 2009,
Fireballs sound terrible IMO very harsh fizzy etc. Not sure if a tube change would help but there are so many better alternatives like Bugera 6262. Also with any modern american voiced amp you are going to cut right through the mix.
Quote by 46+0
Fireballs sound terrible IMO very harsh fizzy etc. Not sure if a tube change would help but there are so many better alternatives like Bugera 6262. Also with any modern american voiced amp you are going to cut right through the mix.

Are you a Bugera rep or something?

Fireballs generally sound great at all volumes and my experiances are far from harsh or fizzy compared to the amp you are recommending which is a bottom of the barrell tube amp thats a clone of the fizzest amp on the planet.
Quote by afallenone

if your marshall is an MG, then that's why the tone sucks. and it's solid state.
Quote by 46+0

You're recommending a Bugera over An ENGL Fireball?!? LOL!!!
You know Engl fireball sounds great but a mesa triple rectifier is the same price as an ENGL fireball 100 watt amp. And honestly I think the mesa triple rectifier is an overall better choice.
60watt Fireballs are about $1399
100watt Fireballs are going for about $1699
Triple Rectifiers are about $1899
Quote by BobDetroit
You're recommending a Bugera over An ENGL Fireball?!? LOL!!!

Bugera 6262 $549 haha
Quote by afallenone
You know Engl fireball sounds great but a mesa triple rectifier is the same price as an ENGL fireball 100 watt amp. And honestly I think the mesa triple rectifier is an overall better choice.

Triple is the worst lol, go with double or single if your going that way, it's such a flubby, harsh sound out of the triple,
As always, IbanezPsycho has beaten me to the punch on advice. What he said about the wattage is dead on. If you get a lower watt amp and crank it, you're going to get that tube saturation going on. If you're playing rock music, then that's good. For metal... not so much. So, if you play metal, you'd be good buying a higher watt amp for the headroom. For rock, lower wattage.

So, if you like the sound of the Fireball, but need it to be louder, then I'd listen to IbanezPsycho and get the E 635 Fireball if you can.
The fireball owns any rectifier imo. And yes 60w tube is MORE than enough unless you re selling out shows of the class of 10.000 people.

Crank and tell me its not loud my friend

Also Bugeras suck...
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
Quote by georgakis187
Both of those sounds suck. Badly eq-ed and bad playing.

No offense, but i knew as soon as you said that i would go onto your page and hear something of a similar description.
Quote by PlasmaPee
For that kind of money i dont think that tone is great at all. You can never expect to get highest quality tone from a cheap Jackson bolt on piece of plywood. You are playing A LOT of the riffs incorrectly as well btw but w/e

Dream on young one....

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Fireball 100w will be your prime choice chancellor. Although volume-wise i DOUBT you ll hear more than 10% difference over the 60w.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
Quote by georgakis187
The fireball owns any rectifier imo. And yes 60w tube is MORE than enough unless you re selling out shows of the class of 10.000 people.

Crank and tell me its not loud my friend

Also Bugeras suck...

Really didnt know a 60w tube amp could out power the 207,000watts it takes to power say the Jägermeister tour... Very interesting...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Really didnt know a 60w tube amp could out power the 207,000watts it takes to power say the Jägermeister tour... Very interesting...

Oh yeah i know....they didn't have enough $$$ for PAs this year...
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
Quote by georgakis187
Oh yeah i know....they didn't have enough $$$ for PAs this year...

My .5 watt Smokey amp can be used to play a 10,000 person show. So its a moot point when it comes to amps and big shows. Headroom is what you need to worry about not playing a show with no pa system.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
My .5 watt Smokey amp can be used to play a 10,000 person show. So its a moot point when it comes to amps and big shows. Headroom is what you need to worry about not playing a show with no pa system.

Good point. Actually say something relative to ze thread nau?
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
The mesa is just way too... metal for me. Thanks guys you are the bomb dizzle as always. I'm set on the 100 w fireball or the blackmore. but i'm sure i'll figure it out by then.
the thing with the fireball that i found was that it gained volume quickly and the master volume was very sensitive between 1-3 (out of 10)
Quote by georgakis187

Nice!

I think PlasmaPee is trolling. Seems like he's banned anyway.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
You're late, Kayman just sold his for $800
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Simsimius
Nice!

I think PlasmaPee is trolling. Seems like he's banned anyway.

Thanks friend

And yeah trolling and a multi so ye
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
afallenone. ??? What Marshall tube amp is 120 watts?
The MG series and Valvestate series aren't tube amps (yes I understand the valvestate series uses (1) 12ax7 for a hybrid operation. Why hasn't anyone explained this.
Quote by afallenone
My marshall is a tube i think that's why it has so much umph. I just don't want to be put out of the show if the other guy is playing a tube amp of higher wattage when i'm the lead player in the band. Second question. If i'm going to run two cabinets is it best to keep them the same brand? Or will it even matter at all? As long as the ohmage is the same i'm good right?
I don't recall any Marshall tube amp that is 120 watts. It's likely an MG, and that's mediocre solid state --- nice and cheap -- ok solid state quality for the price. Also valvestate isn't a real tube amp.
Let dead threads stay in their graves. Check the dates before you post.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!