hey, so ive finally decided to start guitar, and ive got my mind set on an epip sg and line 6 spider III 15 watt amp, my budget is low so those two both fit in it perfecetly, what i need help with is going to the guitar shop, im not sure if anyones ever been to this place, long and mcquade in toronto on rathburn, but generally how are the people that work there, are they douches or are they helpful to new guitarist, also, what should i do when i walk in, i understand get a feel for the guitar, like plug in and people say have a riff ready to test it out, but since i cant play, im unsure of what i should do, any help at all would be appreciated. thanks
Don't get a spider 3, get a Roland Cube instead. You'll thank me later. the price is similar

As for the guitar, it's best to take a friend who knows how to play guitar. If you don't have one, just try how it feels in your hand and check for faults. Also try to compare it to other guitars. You might find something you like more
Last edited by basilbrush at Jul 16, 2009,
Don't get a Line 6. You'll find that this whole website hates them, but for good reasons. I personally don't like the Roland Cubes even though most of these people do. I would say to go with a Peavey Vypyr. Pretty loud, low priced, built-in effects, and instead of digital presets, it models the sounds of other amps, which isn't too bad sounding for its price.

I myself am buying an Epi SG soon for a beater guitar, and from what I've heard, they're very nice for the price. Just make sure you screw around with one first, so you know you'll like the feel of it.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Last edited by CaparisonCore at Jul 16, 2009,
well it turns out the guitar stores around me, both dont have either a roland of peavy vypyr, they have a peavy vypyr but its a higher watt amp and therefore cost more, which i cant afford, thats just what they have posted on there sites, so maybe in store they'll have them, if not i guess im just stuck with the line 6 until i get a job to help pay for more equipment, it shud be fine for a beginner because im not gunna be gigging and most likely not jamming with anyone soon, and about having someone who plays guitar with me i dont, i would feel alot more comfortable having a guitarist with me just so i dont feel like a douche in a music store with no idea what to do,
Check the stores first. The GC around me has always had Bugera's and Mesa's and has never listed them on their site until the Mesa's were recently, like past few months or so after having them there since they opened. If they're still not there, then just find what you like the sound of in your price range, and grab that. Maybe a Vox Pathfinder or a small Fender amp. Who knows.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

yea, thats what im thinking, because i dont think the sites been updated in a while, so hopefully when i go there they'll have a roland, or something like that in my price range, anyway, thanks for the help guys, is there any other tips you can give me to not be persauded(spelling?) into getting something else, or falsely informing me of something, because if a worker there tells me that such and such is better, or oh thats ****, i might end up beliving him since i wont know better.
I got a Line6 spider 3 amp for christmas last year. It was a big step up from a Fender SP-10, and the effects aren't that bad. I find the flange and phaser to be a bit... much. But the tremolo and echo is really fun to mess with, plus it has a built in noise gate, which helps. A lot. And you can tweak everything.

As for guitars, being a Dean nub, I think the ML X ($220) is a guitar you should check out. Really cool shape and the finish looks great, and they dont sound bad for the cheap price. I play a Dean DBD T, which I'm pretty sure is discontinued, but it's basically the same thing. Thin neck, a little on the heavy and big side. Bassy pickups, but you can make it scream. It works for rhythm and lead guitar. I hear good things about Dean Vendetta guitars, too.

Here's the MLX
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-MLX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512913

My friend played an Epi SG, but it was like $600. Things you should know, a kinda fat neck. It's usually painted but not glossed, so it won't be "sticky" and I think it's very overrated and ugly. But it sounds pretty good.

Another cheap but decent guitar is the ESP F-50. I think the B.C. Rich Metal Master Warlock might even better, but is a little more expensive.

ESP:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-F50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516677 ($260)

Warlock:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Metal-Master-Warlock?sku=512675 ($300)

And here are two pretty cheap Ibanez guitars
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar?sku=519417 ($150)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783 ($300)

There you go to broaden your choices.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 16, 2009,
thanks for u suggestions man, but once again, since im not in the states, music stores around here dont have much variety, there isnt a guitar center for a good 2 hours maybe, and ordering online is out of the question, i hear alot of good things about esp's and those ibanezs look great and im sure they sound great to, plus there cheap, but im limited to the stores in my area for now, and im glad u menitoned that the sgs neck wasnt sticky cuz i was afraid it would have been, and the neck being fat dosnt bother me to much plus i like the look of them, thanks again for all your info, and if i do see those deans, esps, or ibanezs in the store, since there not on the site, il be sure to test them out
It really depends on what you wanna play. SG's aren't really your shredder guitar unless you have bigger hands.

Most of the guitars I listed have pretty thin "C" shaped necks, which are more flexible because you can play some killer powerchords and then shift up high and play a cool riff, and repeat.

Watch out for the Deans. There are multiple copies of the same guitar, but they all cost different. So make sure at the end of the neck it says "ML X" and not just "ML" or "RZR BK" or whatever the Razorbacks have on there.
Try Steve's Music on Queen and Spadina if you can.

I dont know about the long and mcquade on rathburn (i don't believe i've ever been to it) but the long's at Keele and Steeles or Bloor and Ossington are pretty good.

Long doesn't carry ESP (which makes them fail), but Steves does.

As much hate as there is for the Spider III's they are pretty decent practise amps, and seeing as you're a beginner it should be fine for you.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
It really depends on what you wanna play. SG's aren't really your shredder guitar unless you have bigger hands.

Most of the guitars I listed have pretty thin "C" shaped necks, which are more flexible because you can play some killer powerchords and then shift up high and play a cool riff, and repeat.

Watch out for the Deans. There are multiple copies of the same guitar, but they all cost different. So make sure at the end of the neck it says "ML X" and not just "ML" or "RZR BK" or whatever the Razorbacks have on there

what the hell are you talking about?
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Try driving down to brampton. Theres a Musicians/Drummers Choice where i got my peavey from, AND try out the Ibanez RG321 ( which is also available at Long & McQuade) You just have to phone around and ask shops.