I'm redoing a SX Tele that I got a while back and I'm needed pickups to order. First I had a set of Duncans picked out but then I stumbled across GFS pickups. I was wondering how good they are, tones they can handle and opinions on what I should get.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/lilpuxlnewfi.html (Modern Lead)
http://store.guitarfetish.com/lilpuxlnepif.html (Modern Vintage)

These are the two I'm looking at. There is a Modern Lead set but I don't want the Lead in the neck so I'm buying them separately. I play Metal and Rock but I love good cleans.

Are pickups hard to install? I want to do split coils (Or whatever it is where you have a push pull pot to go from single to humbucker) and I have no soldering experience.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I was just curious because I heard good things about GFS and it would save me about 100$.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm thinking that the extra hundred bucks will show in the tone. I'll keep GFS in mind for other projects, maybe my fretless bass I'm doing.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm thinking that the extra hundred bucks will show in the tone. I'll keep GFS in mind for other projects, maybe my fretless bass I'm doing.

Between Duncans and GFS there will definitely be an improvement with the Duncans but honestly i wouldn't throw expensive pickups like SDs in a cheap guitar like an SX
Quote by Pac_man0123
Between Duncans and GFS there will definitely be an improvement with the Duncans but honestly i wouldn't throw expensive pickups like SDs in a cheap guitar like an SX

+1

I also have a tele from Rondo and I put the exact pickups the OP picked in it. It really screams when I want it to. The cleans are also quite nice. They aren't as sparkly as a stock tele, but they are a bit fatter. I like a warmer/jazzier clean sound so it worked out perfectly for me. Also keep in mind that the whole reason people go with guitars from Rondo is the bang-for-the-buck, which you'd lose by sticking $180 p-ups in it versus a $60 set.

If you'd like to hear what the Lil Punchers sound like (cleans, heavy rhythm, and a bit of lead) check this out.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBdoVFAvU2c&feature=channel_page
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I'm waiting on a Lil' Puncher XL for my tele, so once that's arrived and I've installed it I'll make a vid.
Quote by mogar
+1

I also have a tele from Rondo and I put the exact pickups the OP picked in it. It really screams when I want it to. The cleans are also quite nice. They aren't as sparkly as a stock tele, but they are a bit fatter. I like a warmer/jazzier clean sound so it worked out perfectly for me. Also keep in mind that the whole reason people go with guitars from Rondo is the bang-for-the-buck, which you'd lose by sticking $180 p-ups in it versus a $60 set.

If you'd like to hear what the Lil Punchers sound like (cleans, heavy rhythm, and a bit of lead) check this out.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBdoVFAvU2c&feature=channel_page

Just what was wanting, thanks. They sound like they'll do fine. I did love a little sparkle but that's fine, I think I'm going to go for the GFS. Once I finish it I'll try to make a vid of my ****ty playing skills.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
pickups are a breeze to install if you've ever soldered before. No real precision required, its as simple as following as diagram.
Edit: I have a duncan in my mim tele, sounds great, but i've heard great things about gfs stuff.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Last edited by jeffc313 at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by jeffc313
pickups are a breeze to install if you've ever soldered before. No real precision required, its as simple as following as diagram.
Edit: I have a duncan in my mim tele, sounds great, but i've heard great things about gfs stuff.

I've never soldered.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I've never soldered.

It's not too difficult, really. Just make sure the gun is hot enough, melt the solder that connects the stock pickups to the pots (you may want some of that stuff that sucks up the solder), take out the stock pickups, throw in the new ones and solder them to the pots.
On August 4th my band are recording an EP, so after that you'll have a proper, studio-recorded example of how they sound.
Quote by Aidy Damage
On August 4th my band are recording an EP, so after that you'll have a proper, studio-recorded example of how they sound.

Not sure if I'll have them by then but let me listen, I'll tell you what I think about your band.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls