This is a song I wrote myself. I did the guitar, bass, vocals, and keyboard. The drums are prerecorded loops. I know the recording and mixing is pretty shotty but I was just wondering what people might think of it. Any comments are welcome. Thank you

http://www.myspace.com/spencerschwieterman
Last edited by dreamtheater777 at Jul 16, 2009,
sounds great man. i love how you incorporated the strings. it added a lot of texture to it. my only advice is get a better guitar tone. it sounds to... digital or electronic. besides that, it sounds great and completely original
Quote by Craterocks
sounds great man. i love how you incorporated the strings. it added a lot of texture to it. my only advice is get a better guitar tone. it sounds to... digital or electronic. besides that, it sounds great and completely original

Thank you very much for the comment. I play lefty and live in a small town so the only reasonably priced guitar I could get was a Fender Strat. It's really hard to get a good metal tone out of. Maybe I'll mess around with the tone and re-record it.
Quote by dreamtheater777
Thank you very much for the comment. I play lefty and live in a small town so the only reasonably priced guitar I could get was a Fender Strat. It's really hard to get a good metal tone out of. Maybe I'll mess around with the tone and re-record it.

Hey man, just having a quick listen through the track, sounding nice and brutal- vocals sound a bit black dahliaish at times- I think with some sort of drum programming software instead of loops you could mix up the drums and make them lock in with the bass and guitar a bit more but i completely understand how hard it can be to write and record with limitations! The string sound is pretty decent- what keyboard are you using? (or is it a VST?) It sounds like you've only recorded one guitar track, i'd definitely recommend recording 2 guitar tracks and panning them left and right to give the track some width but i think as a song this is pretty well written all round- with real drums and a more organic guitar tone i thing this would be something i could listen to regularly.

It is possible to get a decent metal tone out of a strat ;-) (me soloing on a strat) what is your recording path? to me it sounds like you are plugging your guitar into a distortion or multi-fx pedal and then straight into your computer?

Crit for crit? - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1123313

xx matt
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
Quote by anacrucix
Hey man, just having a quick listen through the track, sounding nice and brutal- vocals sound a bit black dahliaish at times- I think with some sort of drum programming software instead of loops you could mix up the drums and make them lock in with the bass and guitar a bit more but i completely understand how hard it can be to write and record with limitations! The string sound is pretty decent- what keyboard are you using? (or is it a VST?) It sounds like you've only recorded one guitar track, i'd definitely recommend recording 2 guitar tracks and panning them left and right to give the track some width but i think as a song this is pretty well written all round- with real drums and a more organic guitar tone i thing this would be something i could listen to regularly.

It is possible to get a decent metal tone out of a strat ;-) (me soloing on a strat) what is your recording path? to me it sounds like you are plugging your guitar into a distortion or multi-fx pedal and then straight into your computer?

Crit for crit? - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1123313

xx matt

Yeah, I agree that I probably could have spent more time on the drums even with the limitations I have. The keyboard I have is only a cheap Yamaha, probably cost me $50. And you're right, it is only 1 guitar track. I thought about recording 1 more but for some reason I didn't. I use an electro harmonix 'metal muff' pedal for distortion and am going straight into my computer with a cheap 'm-audio mobile pre usb.' If you could help me out with some decent setings to get a good metak sound out of a strat it would be greatly appreciated. Your comments are greatly appreciated and thanks for the myspace friend add. I listened to your music and I like it a lot. Very tight guitar work with some good theory thrown in. The music flows very nicely. I'd like to talk to you sometime about what kind of steps it takes to get your music on iTunes/lastfm as far as cost wise. It seems like you guys have been around the block. Thank you very much for the comment and good luck with the new album.
Last edited by dreamtheater777 at Jul 19, 2009,
Ah man we've had so much hassle with iTunes and stuff, like in future i reckon we'll go through CDbaby.com - basically if you want to get your stuff on places like itunes you pretty much have to go through a digital distributor- a company who will get your music on most music websites (amazon mp3, play.com mp3, sevendigital) for a small fee / percentage of the earnings- but the company we went through have just messed us around and messed us around. CD Baby are reputable and easy to use- especially for indie artists, i'd definitely recommend them for digital distribution.

The reason the guitar sounds so digital and unnatural is that you aren't getting any room/cab/mic colouration of the sound like you would get if you recorded a guitar in the traditional sense. There are many different pieces of software available that can help to try and make that tone more natural- what software are you using to record with?

xx matt
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
I'm using Ableton Live, and the only amp I own is a little 10 watt off brand that probably wouldn't make it sound any better even though I have a decent mic.
Quote by anacrucix

The reason the guitar sounds so digital and unnatural is that you aren't getting any room/cab/mic colouration of the sound like you would get if you recorded a guitar in the traditional sense. There are many different pieces of software available that can help to try and make that tone more natural- what software are you using to record with?

xx matt

Hey man, I'd really like to know some of the names of some software I could use to help my guitar tone. Any pointers?