My uncle is a retired Cop and got hired at a local University to run the security. Because of this I have the opportunity to take a full time job as the dispatcher, which is the guy that sits and watches the camera screens.

For me this has more implications than is apparent, but the only thing worth mentioning is that my music absolutely comes first, no matter what. The job is full time, and I don't know how I feel about going full time because honestly I don't need it. I just don't spend money hardly at all and live pretty efficiently. I would not enjoy working 40 hours a week, even with the extra money, because I think my creative life would suffer.

That having been said, I'm leaning towards taking the job. I just want to know if that would be a reason to reconsider, in the Pit's opinion. Obviously this job would provide total financial security, but that's not what I want in life. I've seriously thought about living in my car and busking for food.

And has anyone had a job as a security dispatcher/screen watcher? What was it like?

TL;DR I have an opportunity to take a full time job, but feel it may lead me down the wrong path in life because what's really important to me is my music. Should I take it? Also, the job is as a security guard watching camera screens. Ever done it? How was it?
We're only strays.
Aint nothing to it, but to do it my brother.
if it doesn't work out then you know what not to do next time.

no worries mate.

sneak your guitar into work.
write lyrics while you're there.

if you have a nice boss,
I'm sure you'll be able to manage.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

become a roadie?
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Sounds like there's no REAL reason to take it. Finances aren't a big problem for you atm so that's not much of an issue.

I say don't take it, but of course you'll know best dude.
Why would anyone not want total financial security? Unless you're making a good living playing music, take the job.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Is there a chance of taking it on part time?
Cos if there is I would think that would be ideal!
But if not, you could do it full time for a while & if you do like it, stick with it, but you could always quit!
Quote by Zeppelin256
Why would anyone not want total financial security? Unless you're making a good living playing music, take the job.

You get back what you put in, that's just the way life is. If I put all my time and effort into making money, I'll make money. If I put it all into my music, I'll make better music. It's a simple priority thing. If I'm fed, have a roof over my head, and have a guitar and a working voice, I'm set.

I guess it's kind of like some sort of American indoctrination thing that everyone's life should be centered around money. Obviously you need to be able to stand on your own two feet and you need SOME money to do things, but I know for me it's just one means to a much more important end.

And yeah, I'd like to be able to take the job part time. That would be ideal.
We're only strays.
every point you give says you dont want to do it
aka

you dont want to do it
+
you dont need to do it
=
dont do it
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Become an actual security officer instead. You don't have to deal with any real crime, and stores will give you discounts.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
sounds like an easy way to make money and pay to better your musical self bro.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by sirrjj
every point you give says you dont want to do it
aka

you dont want to do it
+
you dont need to do it
=
dont do it

Well no I do WANT to do it. Right now I'm working at Panera Bread which is a pretty good job, but it's minimum wage and the food industry is just crappy no matter where you work. If I wanted a full time job, then this would be awesome. But the last thing I want to do is put my music on the back burner.

I'm not content with putting my ambitions second because "music will always be there for me." Life is what you make it and I know what I want it to be. I guess I'm just seriously considering this job because I know it's a rare opportunity and it's definitely the kind of job I'd like working.
We're only strays.
Quote by ZoSo_bc89
**** cops

Well to bad he isn't going to become a cop.

And BTW, tell me an intelligent reason why you're against the police?
I'm with you here, but we're probably not on the same page.
See you might be just saying this to be trendy, and saying they stop you from doing the things you want to do.

And see, my reasons to hate them differ from that crap.

Quote by Martyr's Prayer
You get back what you put in, that's just the way life is. If I put all my time and effort into making money, I'll make money. If I put it all into my music, I'll make better music. It's a simple priority thing. If I'm fed, have a roof over my head, and have a guitar and a working voice, I'm set.

I guess it's kind of like some sort of American indoctrination thing that everyone's life should be centered around money. Obviously you need to be able to stand on your own two feet and you need SOME money to do things, but I know for me it's just one means to a much more important end.

And yeah, I'd like to be able to take the job part time. That would be ideal.

Taking a college security job doesn't sound like putting all your time and effort into it. It's a job, not a career. I don't foresee you taking the job and having NO time left over for music. Financial security is a good thing to have, especially in this economy.

And believe me, I know it's not all about money. I'm about to start college to study jazz guitar. I'm spending a lot of money to better myself in a career that I know won't generate much money.

If I were you I'd take it.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...