So, I was trying to learn a song by ear, and since I couldnt figure out the arpeggios, I had to look up what the chords were. (after trying forever to make the chord by ear )
So, how should I go about learning alterations of chords? I know I can look up the diagram, or make it with theory, etc, but it really doesnt seem to stick like actually practicing with the chords. Any suggestions of things to play or something to get down and acquaint myself with maj7, min7, dim, etc chords that arent as common as minor and major chords.
listem to them a lot and lern2differenciate.
make some firend/brother/roomate play chords for you and guess if it is major, minor, augmented, diminished,7th or minor 7th. those are the basic chords IMO. do eet every day, then move on to other chords (suspended, dominant, add etc).
If you dont have someone to play chords for you, use this:
http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id92_en.html
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Ok will do. I was wondering one more question lol.

Do alterations generally sound bad when it comes to just strumming? Are they better suited to be broken up or played fingerpicking and arpeggios?
Quote by AlskiOverload
Do alterations generally sound bad when it comes to just strumming? Are they better suited to be broken up or played fingerpicking and arpeggios?
Depends which alterations. Just use your ears. If it sounds bad when you strum it....... It's probably better to arpeggiate it
Just play them and listen to them alot. And if it helps try associating chords with certain songs. When I started ear training I had problems telling the difference between a major and a dominant seventh chord, so when i was unsure I'd think of the song 'Don't Know Why'.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
If you want to actually practice playing them ... I learnt triad inversions and E, A and C shaped 7th arpeggios, and then picked a chord a day and tried to find as many voicings of it as I could all over the neck.
If you want to find the chords to the song, you can start by finding the root notes by trying to play "bass-style" along with the song.
Because then it's not such a random search.
Last edited by sickman411 at Jul 17, 2009,