So I know a few people who have found some decent guitars at pawn shops, at decent prices as well. My friend got an ugly Les Paul for less than $400. I'd like to know your opinions and experiences with buying guitars at pawn shops. I'm actually thinking of taking a few hundred bucks or so and browsing pawn shops for an acoustic, and maybe an electric...
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Sure, why not? Most of the time you'll find no-name guitars and stuff but there are definitely hidden gems. If you've got the time definitely take a look.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Just make sure your getting the real version of whatever your buying, Ive heard terrible stories of people spending hundreds for a guitar thats a fake of it.
<3
My brother got an epiphone V and a boss flanger pedal pretty cheap at one, just make sure to test everything I guess
i bought my taylor 412 at a pawn shop. It was an older 90's model and it had some wear and tear but it still sounded great. Paid $500.00 for it.

It needs to be refretted though.
It takes a while to find a gem. Often times the store owner won't realize exactly what he has so it will be marked so low you'd think it was a knockoff. Of course, play it extensively before you buy it. If you can, open up the cavity and take a look around to see if someone has modded the hell out of it.

For the most part though, you'll find knockoffs and low level stuff. Really good gear usually only makes it to pawn shops when stolen or inherited.
Pawn shops?... !? OMFG YES!! i have had very very very good expiriences with pawn shops! my baby, my sigma DR-41 came from one and it is beautiful!!! perfect condition and i got it for $300! and in the same shop there is an epiphone 12 string, a jackson JS30RR in black, an esp ltd kh202 kirk hammet signature, a jackson wrmg, a B.C. Rich Mocking Bird, a fender strat, and a whole wall of other guitars tht looked beautiful!

EDIT: OH! i forgot a 7 string ibanez, a fender acoustic, and a whole crapload of pedals, i guess people are unloading their gear cause of these here hard times but at least tht means tht you can get good gear really cheap!
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
Last edited by TripleR26 at Jul 16, 2009,
Yeah, I love going to pawn shops to look for gear. I actually found my main 2 guitars in pawn shops. I got a PRS Santana for $300 and a Schecter Damien 6 with a coffin case for $315. I also found an old Marshall valvestate amp for $150. You can usually find pedals pretty cheap too.
its no esp or fender ^

but i got an ibanez gax30 (i was in need of a guitar) for $50 i have played the crap out of that thing and i love it. so yeah i say go for it
I always go through heartbreaks when I go to Pawn Shops. I have never found a Jem.
Quote by TripleR26
Pawn shops?... !? OMFG YES!! i have had very very very good expiriences with pawn shops! my baby, my sigma DR-41 came from one and it is beautiful!!! perfect condition and i got it for $300! and in the same shop there is an epiphone 12 string, a jackson JS30RR in black, an esp ltd kh202 kirk hammet signature, a jackson wrmg, a B.C. Rich Mocking Bird, a fender strat, and a whole wall of other guitars tht looked beautiful!

EDIT: OH! i forgot a 7 string ibanez, a fender acoustic, and a whole crapload of pedals, i guess people are unloading their gear cause of these here hard times but at least tht means tht you can get good gear really cheap!

Hey, it's Joe :P

And +1 for pawn shops, a lot of hidden gems in them.
Do most of them have a good selection of instruments?
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
You can find good deals, but you have to dig. A lot of pawn shops these days tend to overprice stuff as well. I was at one pawn shop a few weeks back that was selling a peavey vypyr 15 for $100 which is the same price as they are new...

Good news is you can usually talk them down a bit.
The well-known instruments they have are usually overpriced for used, but they have a lot of no-names for dirt cheap, some of which are very high quality. I always check my local pawnshops every couple of months or so.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke