I looked at all the refinishing links and tutorials and stuph, and it's all in Greek to me. Sadly, I'm not much of a linguist. However:

After I painted the guitar how I wanted(OLP MM2 painted blue with laquer based paint), I steel wooled with medium grade wool. then I started adding clear coats with Krylon Glossy clear coating. I'm gunna put the whole can on there, but then what?

I have fine grit, medium grit, and coarse grit steel wool, and various grits of sand paper, ranging from 80 to 220. I also have some Ernie Ball Guitar Polish.

What do I need to do? If I put the rest of the clear on, then steel wooled it with the fine grit till smooth, could I apply the Ernie Ball polish and get a mirror-ish finish?
Remember who you are, and Who's you are
You should probably sand to a higher grit than 220, something like 440 or higher. The Ernie Ball polish probably won't give you the best look. You'd need a lacquer coat, then a polishing compound and buff it to a shine.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
ok. but a question on the buffing, how do I do that? how do i buff?

lol. no, my setup isn't that hi-tech. so technically, could I wet sand with the fine grit steel wool then give it a good rubbing with some 3M rubbing compound? I'm looking for an easy and cheap way to get a really nice shine.
That would work great! I always forget about the 3M stuff, haven't used it before on any kind of wood.

Post some pics when you're done, I'm curious to see how it works (might save me some time on my build)

just normal cloth would work for the application, right?
If you can find some microfibre car cloths, it'd probably work a lot better. Also, using a hand buffer would help keep your finish brighter.

yeah, that'd be ideal I spose, but I just don't have the funds. but thanks for your help! btw, when I'm done wet sanding should I wipe the body dry or let the body dry before i wax her down?
I'd wipe any extra off, just to make sure it doesn't soak in.

If you have a Home Depot nearby, they rent tools pretty cheap.

Quote by owentheobiwan
lol. no, my setup isn't that hi-tech. so technically, could I wet sand with the fine grit steel wool then give it a good rubbing with some 3M rubbing compound? I'm looking for an easy and cheap way to get a really nice shine.

You won't find one.

So what condition is the guitar in right now and what do you want to do?

Polishing comes after buffing.

Wet sanding comes before buffing and it goes up to about P2000 grit from about P1200.

So tell me what you intend to do and I will lavish my attention on you, if I think it's worth my time.

You could also look HERE

You want this kind of gloss too it?

Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 17, 2009,