My friend wrote a song and i gotta write my solo over it. I cant figure out what scale to use, when ever i play it just ends up sounding wrong.

These are the chords

E E E E F E D
B D A# A A G G
Quote by Chaosinborn
My friend wrote a song and i gotta write my solo over it. I cant figure out what scale to use, when ever i play it just ends up sounding wrong.

These are the chords

E E E E F E D
B D A# A A G G

which one are major and which one are minor?

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
"E" is not a chord. If you're not going to give us any information, we can't help you.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
"E" is not a chord. If you're not going to give us any information, we can't help you.

E is not a chord?
shred is gaudy music
Everyone knows a note name by itself in a chord chart means a major chord. You'd have to be an absolute noob not to know that . Jeez, what's the need for people to be so pedantic about everything on this forum?

TS, I'll try to help you a bit later.
I'm on both sides of the fence here. Since I use regular chords and not lead sheet symbols, and E is an E major chord to me.

However, playing through those chord changes sounded like garbage, so I hope there are some minors, diminished, etc. in there as well. It's probably just power chords.
Ok, assuming that you did mean chords, you can't use one particular scale over all of them. Well you could, but it would likely sound horrible. One simple possibility is just to use the respective major scale from each chord - E major over E and so forth. Likely though, you'll be better off thinking in terms of what the chord tones are in each chord and targeting them as each chord is played by the rhythm guitarist. The rest of the notes are then at your discretion.

If however it is actually a riff, then you could safely wank the E blues scale (minor pent with an added b5) over the whole thing, perhaps targeting the b5 as the rhythm plays the Bb (A#) note and perhaps throwing in a b2 over the F. Comprende?
Im pretty sure he is referring to power chords
"Guitars are toys for me, too much fun all the time."-Paul Gilbert

Gear:
Homemade Mahogany Guitar with SD humbuckers
Carvin Legacy VL100 Head
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Cab with V30s
Line 6 Pod X3
Quote by Nolan4
Im pretty sure he is referring to power chords

Power chords will still be in a key - it dictates the rest of the chords used in the song.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Sorry if im not providing enough information. I didnt know how else to phrase it. Those are the notes that are being played. It is not the rythm or the number of times they are played just the different chordsin the part.

I will post the song.

its from 2:16-2:34

and when i wrote this, this is what i meant. These are single notes, i dont know the chord names. So first chord is Bass playing an E and guitars playing a B with an added octave.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E | E | E | E | F | E | D Bass root
B | D | A#| A | A | G | G Guitar (first few are played in octaves)

Basically im having trouble coming up with solo that fits well.
Attachments:
Lear.mid
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Jul 17, 2009,
Ahhh. That's what you meant. I can't hear that midi file (how do I open it?), but I think you should still be ok with a blues scale, or try an E phrygian.

Those are not chords btw. Only diads.
windows media player should be able to open it. Check your volume and turn up the SW Synth and Wave if they are down.

As for the notes. Yea my bad. I think hearing the song would help in my explanation, it has a very distinct feel.
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Jul 17, 2009,
Hmm, all I get is a new page with a little icon up in the top left corner. WMP doesn't open. It's weird cause I've heard midis from this site before. Any idea what's going on?
Thats weird. I can hear it just fine, and i know its not my comp thats different because i am on my office computer right now. Try right click save target as?
Quote by Chaosinborn
Try right click save target as?

That did the trick

That was rather good I thought. I wouldn't have expected something like that from the info you gave in the OP at all. On a quick play through, I reckoned playing a combination of E phrygian and phrygian dom (playing both the b3 and the 3) sounded pretty good. Blues scale isn't suitable at all lol. That's if you want to take that kind of approach without working out what notes might go well where in a more detailed manner. If so, what I suggested should work just fine.
Yea, due to my lack of knowledge in terms of the names and description it was difficult for me to describe.

Ill try out your suggestion when i get home from work today.

E phrygian is

E F G A B C D E correct?

and then making it dominant we take the G and make it sharp. Shouldnt we want something with an A# though?
Well, it's not like you have to pick one scale and stick to it. The Bb occurs pretty briefly does it not? (I can't remember but it seems that way from looking at your post). So perhaps you could just stick it into your solo whenever it comes around in the riff. I dunno, but what I suggested sounded ok over the whole thing. There are other notes which will sound good over the Bb other than Bb itself, such as its fifth, F, which occurs in the E phrygian scale anyhow.

And yeah your phrygian was correct and how to make it dominant. I thought playing both notes (G and Ab) sounded good though.
Quote by Beserker
Ahhh. That's what you meant. I can't hear that midi file (how do I open it?), but I think you should still be ok with a blues scale, or try an E phrygian.

Those are not chords btw. Only diads.

What was that about "everyone knowing that a note by itself refers to a major chord"? Your problem is that you don't bother to think before you speak, so you do things like fail to realize that many people don't know that "E" would generally refer to "E major", and so they use it to refer to power chords, major chords, minor chords, and chords with elaborate extensions that we're supposed to be aware of telepathically.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
What was that about "everyone knowing that a note by itself refers to a major chord"? Your problem is that you don't bother to think before you speak, so you do things like fail to realize that many people don't know that "E" would generally refer to "E major", and so they use it to refer to power chords, major chords, minor chords, and chords with elaborate extensions that we're supposed to be aware of telepathically.

Was this post necessary? Generally, when someone says "These are the chords" and lists letters, it will almost always be intended as mojor, unless otherwise specified. This happens to be the exception.
"His name is Robert Paulson"
^Don't worry, it was just one of Archeo's unnecessary overreactions. You'll get used to them.

Oh and Arch, sigged mate.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
^Don't worry, it was just one of Archeo's unnecessary overreactions. You'll get used to them.

Duly noted. Sorry, I'm new...ish here.
"His name is Robert Paulson"
E phrygian would work over that riff its the 3rd mode of C major if that helps at all.
"Guitars are toys for me, too much fun all the time."-Paul Gilbert

Gear:
Homemade Mahogany Guitar with SD humbuckers
Carvin Legacy VL100 Head
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Cab with V30s
Line 6 Pod X3
Quote by Archeo Avis

In the first post he stated they were chords, so obviously the assumption would be that it was a chord chart. How about you make some useful posts instead of attacking people on technicalities at every opportuinity.