It was an idea i was contemplating earlier. Is it possible to safely do?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Well you'd have to refinish the guitar, so sure you could do it as long as you're willing to re-finish it.

Ibanez use Alder in there Jem's, I'm not sure how mahogany would compare in terms of strength, since I'm no woodworker.
good point. with a painted neck and everything it would be a bitch to refinish. thanks yall.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
You could easily do it, you'd just need to refinish the body. Body painting is pretty easy, just scuff the finish, shoot a coat of primer, sand smooth, then lay down enough layers of colour until you're satisfied. You wouldn't need to paint the neck at all, unless you changed the body colour.

There's some good templates for monkey grips floating around.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by RJackson
Well you'd have to refinish the guitar, so sure you could do it as long as you're willing to re-finish it.

Ibanez use Alder in there Jem's, I'm not sure how mahogany would compare in terms of strength, since I'm no woodworker.

Mahogany is denser and more stable than alder, so it would work BETTER than the Ibanez.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Mahogany is denser and more stable than alder, so it would work BETTER than the Ibanez.

why cant ibanez read these forums?
burn ibanez =]
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
Quote by paintballcrazy7
why cant ibanez read these forums?
burn ibanez =]

the prestiges are mahogany.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
bv310: Shooting primer on a scuff-sanded transparent finish? Doesn't sound like it'll be the most invisible partial refinish/repair.
Quote by conor1148

the prestiges are mahogany.

Not really... All Jems are either basswood or alder. And most RG Prestiges are basswood too. Only two current models are mahogany.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku

No, it'd work the same as Ibanez.
The only way it'd work better is if Ibanez were doing something that could be improved upon, and as JEM monkey grips don't buckle (I assume anything that would make it buckle would also make mahogany buckle) it isn't better than Ibanez.

And "Ibanez should read these forums", I'm afraid that the Vai sig, is down to Vai, not Ibanez they couldn't just say "Steve, some kids on a forum think that a wood that'll do exactly the same job is better, we're changing all your JEM line to mahogany."
Quote by MH400
DON'T DO IT!!!

Not on a 1000

My dream guitar

That's the first thought I had...not the 'dream guitar' part, but they are such nice guitars, I'd hate to see one butchered.

But hey, that's just me.

To the TS; this is definitely doable, but like everyone else said, you'd have to refinish it. If you've never re-finished a guitar, I might not try your first ever shot at it on your main guitar, but if you've got experience, it could be a fun project.