Firstly if i had an attenuating device on full, what could i crank the volume to (assuming preamp gain was full) in the range of bedroom volumes...number 3 or 4? Someone explained the fractions but i cant picture it in my head.

Secondly would it really be worth it tone wise? Im looking at the ultimate attenuator which is suppost to be virtually transparant.
Quote by PlasmaPee
Firstly if i had an attenuating device on full, what could i crank the volume to (assuming preamp gain was full) in the range of bedroom volumes...number 3 or 4? Someone explained the fractions but i cant picture it in my head.

Secondly would it really be worth it tone wise? Im looking at the ultimate attenuator which is suppost to be virtually transparant.

full attenuation will sound like pooper. Attenuators work alright in moderation, but push them too hard and your tone will suffer significantly.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
full attenuation will sound like pooper. Attenuators work alright in moderation, but push them too hard and your tone will suffer significantly.

Okay, so say have way on attenuation what could i crank a 5150 to roughly?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^He said Ultimate Attenuator which is basically a re-amping rig in a box.

yeah it works in the same way as van halens old rig where he would send a dummy load to get attenuation.
Quote by fullsailstudent
^this. please explain. I'm very interested.
dummy load with lineout into seperate power amp.
^ +1

All this setup does is take your amp's powered output down to line (guitar) level and funnel that signal through another power amp to drive the speakers.

Whatever tone your setup was giving you can be played at pretty well any volume this way.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Honestly, your question is pretty difficult to answer. You need to know what the volume of your amplifier through whatever speakers/cabinet is throughout the range of the volume knobs and what the minimum output volume drop of the UA is. Keep in mind that since bedroom volumes are somewhere around 1/20 watt and you have either a 60 or 120 watt amp (combo or head) you need to have about 35db of volume drop capacity. From what I've read, the UA can do that, but it's probably pushing the limits.