Hey,

I'm a guitarist who plays punk (Not greenday, blink 182 punk. Original punk). But all i seem to do is little riffs and use power chords. While im not to keen on metal, my friend told me that playing metal will increase my speed. With increasing my speed, i want to increase my playing ability (ie. get better). My lack of speed and not knowing were to start is what has me 'stuck' in my creation of my own songs.

So i have 2 things to ask:

1). Know any techniques and any metal songs that can help me increase my speed? (I know it takes time and i dont expect it to come to me in weeks)

2). What helps you to come up with riffs and songs when you play?

BTW, I've been playing guitar for 11 months
what speed do you want to increase? since you were talking about riffs, I'll assume you are talking about your picking hand. if you want to increase that, then try to play riffs that are usually played with downpicking. "Master of Puppets" is a great song for that, if you can play that downpicked, you'll be a step farther.
Quote by jokersdemise
1). Know any techniques and any metal songs that can help me increase my speed? (I know it takes time and i dont expect it to come to me in weeks)

Technical Difficulties - Racer X
Constant Motion - Dream Theater
Wolf - Iced Earth

All pretty useful songs that will help you with your speed and technique. You will prbably have to start slow and work with a metronome to build up your speed. Don't expect to get them right off.

2). What helps you to come up with riffs and songs when you play?

They just come to me, really. I usually sit down once in a while and jam while listening to random songs, or alone. I usually find something good and work with it from there.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Last edited by MetalGS3SE at Jul 16, 2009,
Learning Metal wont necessarily make you a better guitarist. There are Jazz Guitarists out there who make some metal guitarists blush. Now, I love Metal, and am in no way into punk. First thing, start out with excersizes. Simple... pick ANY position, or any fret, and do 1234, 4321 up and down the neck and strings. Then, mix them, 2413, or 1423, or whatever combo you want. Start slow, make sure everything is clear and precise. Then, speed it up. A metronome will help A LOT. Dont rush it... go slow. You can find loads of info on the internet. Check out arpeggios - you have 5 strings arpeggios, 3 string arpeggios, 6 string arpeggios, learn about triads, and when you learn a song, look how they write it, and where the positions start. Its all about playing around and doing what sounds good to you. You dont have to play Metal to get better. But, if you do want some good bands to check out and learn, Threat Signal, All That Remains, Testament, Soilwork, Periphery.... Man, the list goes on and on. And once you start learning and listening to metal, and seeing how diverse it really is, youll convert to a metal head. Hope that helps man.
Playing metal will make you better at playing metal. You should be practicing scales with a metronome if you want to speed up your lead playing, but even then you'll only get faster at playing up and down scales.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Technical Difficulties - Racer X
Constant Motion - Dream Theater
Wolf - Iced Earth

Holy diver MetalGS3SE! Those are some crazy tough songs for a guy who has been playing for 11 months. At least, I know they would have been daunting for me at that stage, but great taste!

Anyhow, I'm a bit of an All That Remains freak, so I found a number of their songs extremely helpful in the learning process. Don't even think about the solos right now, I still can't hold a match to them, but the riffs in songs like Empty Inside, We Stand, and Two Weeks are a great way to learn.

However, I believe that it will be greatly beneficial to you if you learn the style you love. If metal isn't your thing, you will not be compelled to play it, and that will hinder you from devoting the time required to learn.
Quote by Soulgrind025
Learning Metal wont necessarily make you a better guitarist. There are Jazz Guitarists out there who make some metal guitarists blush. Now, I love Metal, and am in no way into punk. First thing, start out with excersizes. Simple... pick ANY position, or any fret, and do 1234, 4321 up and down the neck and strings. Then, mix them, 2413, or 1423, or whatever combo you want. Start slow, make sure everything is clear and precise. Then, speed it up. A metronome will help A LOT. Dont rush it... go slow. You can find loads of info on the internet. Check out arpeggios - you have 5 strings arpeggios, 3 string arpeggios, 6 string arpeggios, learn about triads, and when you learn a song, look how they write it, and where the positions start. Its all about playing around and doing what sounds good to you. You dont have to play Metal to get better. But, if you do want some good bands to check out and learn, Threat Signal, All That Remains, Testament, Soilwork, Periphery.... Man, the list goes on and on. And once you start learning and listening to metal, and seeing how diverse it really is, youll convert to a metal head. Hope that helps man.

I've learned more from Jazz than I have from almost any genre.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Playing metal will make you better at playing metal.

Not necessarily - metal in general features a pretty diverse range of techniques, that apply to pretty much every rock based genre. But I agree that a person should play the music they like.
Quote by se012101
Not necessarily - metal in general features a pretty diverse range of techniques, that apply to pretty much every rock based genre. But I agree that a person should play the music they like.

Instead of looking at the genre as a whole, find guitarists from that genre that you like, that play how you might want to play with your OWN style and learn what they do. I'm not a big fan of metal, but there are definitely some talented players in the genre, that I respect and try to learn atleast something from.

For instance, if you like Paul Gilbert, learn Paul Gilbert stuff. Yngwie? Learn Yngwie. Don't look at the genres in music as whole, but focus on the people in that genre whose styles you like and take what you want from them to make your own style.
Quote by jokersdemise
I'm a guitarist who plays punk (Not greenday, blink 182 punk. Original punk).

Playing metal will help certain aspects of your playing such as speed. Run through scales and licks using a metronome I guess, and find players that you like and learn some of their songs.

The best way to get inspired is to jam with other people.
Last edited by Forkman at Jul 17, 2009,
It doesn't matter what you practice, what matters is HOW your practice - just make sure yo u focus on playing accurately, cleanly and in time when you practice, regardless of what you're playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't matter what you practice, what matters is HOW your practice - just make sure yo u focus on playing accurately, cleanly and in time when you practice, regardless of what you're playing.
This. Speed is a byproduct of playing accurately, cleanly and in time.
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
Holy diver MetalGS3SE! Those are some crazy tough songs for a guy who has been playing for 11 months. At least, I know they would have been daunting for me at that stage, but great taste!

They are pretty difficult to start with, but I played around with those 3 from the beginning of my playing career, and they helped me improve my technique greatly, even when I couldn't play them up to speed. That's why I suggested them.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
You are most likely having a hard time with synchronization and chord changes.Just keep playing your style if it's what you want you'll still be improving.Maybe try to tackle a few older DK songs like some from Plastic surgery disaster or maybe some old hardcore.