I'm having a bit of trouble getting my rig to settle at the moment as I've just upgraded everything and I'm still fiddling with it. But my main problem is that if I have both sides of my Double Trouble on at the same time, my amp gives feedback as soon as I stop playing, I'm not used to the amp yet so it could be I've got it set up wrong or something but is it just a simple matter of too much gain?

Secondly, I'm struggling with the knobs on my JCM to find a clean tone that can be used loudly. At the moment it's not too much trouble 'cos I'm not gigging for 2 month or so and not even at band practice for a month so it gives me time to find my tone, but I can't work out the knobs
Current settings in o'clock:
Preamp: 12 I can't work out what this knob does
Gain: 11
Volume A: 12
Volume B: 12
Treble: 1 I know, I could be more adventurous with my EQ
Mids: 12 but as I say, just fiddling at the moment. I like how
Bass: 11 this sounds though, nice OD tone.

Now I've managed to get a clean sound using my Dano Fish n' Chips by putting the level slider right to the bottom, which kinda works, but it seems like going the wrong way about it since I've just bought a tube amp I should be using the amp to get my basic tone and boosting from there right?

Also, I'm going to get a footswitch so I can use both channels, but since I've only got 1 gain knob I'm going to have to up the volume on my B channel and let it break up by it'self but how do I compensate for the different volume levels when I hit the switch.

The way I want it set up is:
Channel A: Clean
Channel B: Just breaking up kinda crunch

Then with pedal set up like:
Channel 1: Clean Boost, i.e no drive, high volume
Channel 2: Dirty Boost, i.e mid -> high drive, mid volume
1+2 gives a really nice creamy kinda OD sound which I like.

to anyone who makes it this far, hope it all makes sense!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Turn the gain down for clean? But Tubes do overdrive the louder you turn them up so you might be stuck with it. But im going to recommend turning the volume back on your guitar, you can get a bit of a clean tone with the volume down.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
maybe get a noise surpressor it sometimes helps with feedback and makes cleans sound amazing no matter what volume you play at.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I think guitar volume might be the way forward actually, I'll just have to not write any clean parts without a break for me to turn down the volume

+ if I turn down the gain I lose the gain on my second channel. Although I suppose I could just not buy a footswitch, use it as a single channel amp and just use my double trouble clean boost in front to push it when I need it.

I now realize I've made a thread and actually if I'd thought about it logically I could have solved all this without wasting interweb space
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen

I now realize I've made a thread and actually if I'd thought about it logically I could have solved all this without wasting interweb space

its ok bro, we forgive you
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Quote by SimplyBen
I think guitar volume might be the way forward actually, I'll just have to not write any clean parts without a break for me to turn down the volume

It only takes half a second
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Jul 16, 2009,
Try using the volume tone on your guitar to get cleaner tones.
EDIT:
Too late, but you get it. Keep your gain high and use it, then turn to clean and turn your volume a bit down, it doesnt take too long, and i think it's actually nicer to do this than to switch from br00tal tone to super cleans.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jul 16, 2009,
Your JCM is a one channel amp, unlike the later 900's (the dual reverbs.) So to get a clean sound out of it all you'll need to do is roll back the guitar volume a little bit. Also pick your strings lighter, if it's like a JCM 800 the harder you pick the more gain you'll get.

As for controls the Preamp is the "normal" gain control, which will give you similar amounts of gain that you can get from an 800. The sensitivity is an extra gain level which adds another preamp tube for more gain. So adjust the "preamp" first, and "sensitivity" second.

I EQ my 900 with the treble at 11 o'clock, mids at 12, noon, and bass I usually bump up to around 2 o'clock. I do have an EQ pedal in the effects loop with the mids slightly scooped, remember this is a Marshall and will have plenty of mids, that I use for clean sounds occasionally.

/long post.

Edit:
Quote by SimplyBen

Or put roll back on your neck pickup volume and then switch back and forth between pickups for clean/dirty sounds.

Hope that helps!
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Last edited by Hesh_09 at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by Hesh_09
Your JCM is a one channel amp, unlike the later 900's (the dual reverbs.) So to get a clean sound out of it all you'll need to do is roll back the guitar volume a little bit. Also pick your strings lighter, if it's like a JCM 800 the harder you pick the more gain you'll get.

How come I have two volumes then? A footswitch jack as well, oh well as far as I can tell channel B is quieter which is good for bedroom practice.

Quote by Hesh_09
Or put roll back on your neck pickup volume and then switch back and forth between pickups for clean/dirty sounds.

Hope that helps!

Thats a great idea!
I dunno what it is but I seem to have trouble using my volume controls on the guitar when I'm playing
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
I dunno what it is but I seem to have trouble using my volume controls on the guitar when I'm playing

you just gotta get used to it. even though they're shunned around here, i bought a volume pedal to make life easier with a one channel amp...maybe try that?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.