Can you hook up pedals to a tube amp and get teh br00tz?

I want a nice metal tone, but I don't want to spend my life savings on a nice tube amp :p

So does it work?
What?

Yes you can hook pedals up to a tube amp.

Whats your budget?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Well, do you already have a tube amp? or looking to get one? and budget for pedals/amps. but anyway, you can hook-up pedals and such to a tube amp to more "br00talize" your tone if you don't like the current tone you're getting. a lot of people do it.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I don't have a tube amp, I'm looking for one, and I was wondering if I could do that so it would end up being cheaper.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
I don't have a tube amp, I'm looking for one, and I was wondering if I could do that so it would end up being cheaper.

i think with the price you would pay for good pedals with the amp you could just get a good used tube amp. do have like a numerical figure on your budget? or you're just starting to save up money and don't wanna wait for a good amp? you can get a b-52 at-112 for $360 which is nice.
TOMAHAWK!

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Bugera 333XL
Bugera 6260
Peavey Valveking
B-52

cheapest valve amps that are actually decent.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by braedanpebley

you just went and made a youtube account that for what i see serves no purpose to this thread. way to go!
TOMAHAWK!

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Look at the peavey vyper 60.I think I spelled that right anyway.Its a modeling amp so you wont need pedels.i think its around the 200 dollor market.Dont hold me to the price thos Im kinda in a hurry to post this so im not gonna look up the price I will in about 15 mins tho.

Edit: I was thinking of the Royal 8 my bad but none the less here is the like to the royal 8 and the vyper

Royal 8- http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-Royal-8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481661

Here is the Vyper put its 400 not 200 sorry
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482912

Another good one to look at mabe depended on what you play is the Epi valve jr
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=480260V

or you could go used if you dont mind and look on your local craigslist or ebay!
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Last edited by Sicon at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by SOADriff
Bugera 333XL
Bugera 6260
Peavey Valveking
B-52

cheapest valve amps that are actually decent.

add the fender champion 600 and epiphone valve jr to that list.

I have a ibanez ts-10 ( the one with the good ic, the same as the original ts-9 iirc?) sounds great with the valve jr cranked.

The fender champ is a bit more bright, less br00tal than the epi.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by jeffc313
add the fender champion 600 and epiphone valve jr to that list.

those cant do metal

check my thread (link in sig) for a list of them
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The B-52 1x12 cant do brutal metal on its own.

I suggest holding out for the Peavey 6505 1x12 combo to be released this october for an MSRP of $700.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
those cant do metal
They can if he's going to be using pedals anyway.

Get a mid-gain valve amp (e.g. Marshall, Orange) and stick an overdrive in front of it's drive channel, or buy any valve amp (including low-gain ones like most Fenders or Epiphones) and leave it on it's clean channel, using a distortion pedal to provide all your distortion. You can get overdrive and distortion pedals in enough varients that you can get any valve amp sounding ''metal''. I actually prefer doing it this way myself - it means you can have low-output pickups, an amp that produces great cleans, and then just kick on the pedal and switch to completely over the top distortion whenever you like. You can't do that with a more basic high gain amp and high output pickups set up.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
They can if he's going to be using pedals anyway.

Get a mid-gain valve amp (e.g. Marshall, Orange) and stick an overdrive in front of it's drive channel, or buy any valve amp (including low-gain ones like most Fenders or Epiphones) and leave it on it's clean channel, using a distortion pedal to provide all your distortion. You can get overdrive and distortion pedals in enough varients that you can get any valve amp sounding ''metal''. I actually prefer doing it this way myself - it means you can have low-output pickups, an amp that produces great cleans, and then just kick on the pedal and switch to completely over the top distortion whenever you like. You can't do that with a more basic high gain amp and high output pickups set up.

Yes, however the onboard distortion is almost always better than pedals... Take the 6505 for example, I dont know of any pedal that mimics its tone.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Keep your eyes open for a good deal on a 5150.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
my tube amp takes distortion pedals pretty well (on the clean channel). I can get harder distortion this way. though recently I've been running straight into my amp skipping the dist. pedals to appreciate the tone more
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Quote by KiraIBZ
Yes, however the onboard distortion is almost always better than pedals... Take the 6505 for example, I dont know of any pedal that mimics its tone.

And a 6505 doesn't mimic a Fender Twin with a ZVEX Box of Metal. I'm sure that they both sound good but they're different. Frankly, you're not going to get anything that sounds like a 6505 unless you actually buy a 6505. And pedals aren't meant to mimic anything...unless it's a preamp pedal. Using pedals does give you a more diverse tonal range as MrFlibble says. Most high gain amps don't do mid-gain and clean well. But you can get a mid-gain amp that does clean well, then get an overdrive and distortion pedal for some added gain like Steve Vai does.