ok, so i need someones advice.
i hold the pick using my thumb, pointer, and middle finger.
(yeah, i know, wierd, but my guitar teacher didnt point out the proper way)
now here is my question.
should i learn how to play using just my thumb and pointer to grip the pick?
or countinue the way i do?
do what feels best to you. i use just thumb and pointer, some people use both, and some people use thumb and middle finger, leaving their pointer free for easy tapping.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
thats just the thing though/
ive been playing 8/9 months so im ok with the way i pick
but i noticed i could play faster with just thumb and pointer.
not accuratly, but thats where practice with it would come.
get what im saying?
so im not sure whether or not it would benefit me in the long run to stop my lame technique now and to use the right technique
Quote by insmarine951
thats just the thing though/
ive been playing 8/9 months so im ok with the way i pick
but i noticed i could play faster with just thumb and pointer.
not accuratly, but thats where practice with it would come.
get what im saying?
so im not sure whether or not it would benefit me in the long run to stop my lame technique now and to use the right technique

not to be a dick but...you should drop your 3 fingered habit
i was playing for about 8 months also when i changed my picking grip to index and thumb
it helps alot.
my friend uses three fingers and he has trouble doing some things and its hard to teach him stuff cuz he always drops his damn pick
you are using the side of your index finger and the tip of your thumb right?
Quote by herrotim
not to be a dick but...you should drop your 3 fingered habit
i was playing for about 8 months also when i changed my picking grip to index and thumb
it helps alot.
my friend uses three fingers and he has trouble doing some things and its hard to teach him stuff cuz he always drops his damn pick
you are using the side of your index finger and the tip of your thumb right?

correct
2 digit approach is the best way to go about this. It reduces hand tension, which equals higher efficency.
Speed is a relative term, but accuracy is not.

Always remember to reduce tension. Always. This ain't Wal-Mart, but it doesn't matter. REDUCED PRICes---TENSION, all the time.
Srsly.

hmm. im just not looking forward to relearning how to pick.
but ill do it
seeing as i stopped anchoring a while back and its helped greatly, and i believe going from 3 digits to 2 would have the same effect, less effort and tension
I completely agree with LesZao. I also held the pick with three fingers for my first year or so and found that I became much smoother once I switched. Only took about a week or two to get used to it.
I hold mine in the same way, never felt like it's held me back as the thumb and index finger is just uncomfortable, maybe I could adjust but it always feels like I don't have control over the pick, feels almost too loose.
Novacane, it may just be that your technique isn't quite right using your thumb and index. I find the pick is sturdiest when the widest (not longest) part runs down the length of your thumb so that the length of the pick is perpendiculat to your thumb. Then the side of your index holds on to the back at an almost 90 degree angle.
It will help if you relearn with only 2 fingers.

I picked with 2 fingers but held the pic at a / angle which is opposite of how almost all guitarist hold the pick. Picked that way for about 10 years. Then after watching some Paul Gilbert instructional DVD's and seeing that he and all my other guitar idols held the pick at this angle /. And after 2 or so years of playing like that, I can play a lot faster and a lot more accuratley.

It was a bitch to have to relearn something I had beed doing for 10 years, but in the long run it was worth it.
Last edited by srob7001 at Jul 17, 2009,