I'm really having trouble playing pinch harmonics efficiently , anyone have any tips on how to play them?
Practice with a LOT (like, as much as possible) treble to get the idea down, and when you have it down, slowly scale it back to where you are comfortable.
Also, use your bridge pickup... especially if you have a humbucker.

I've also found some guitars/amps won't take pinches AT ALL! My Ibanez hits them easily, my Fender Tele fails miserably
when you to do a pinch harmonic, make sure only a little bit of the pic is showing and when you pluck the string lightly hit your thumb on it to set off the harmonic.
Quote by nedthehead
Practice with a LOT (like, as much as possible) treble to get the idea down, and when you have it down, slowly scale it back to where you are comfortable.
Also, use your bridge pickup... especially if you have a humbucker.

I've also found some guitars/amps won't take pinches AT ALL! My Ibanez hits them easily, my Fender Tele fails miserably

thanks for the tips , i have a feeling that its my guitar, its pretty cheap so it might not take the pinches. I'll try using a lot of treble maybe it will help
The guitar won't stop you doing pinches - but if you have single coil pickups they may not be as pronounced as they would be with a humbucker.

Use your bridge pickup, and some distortion. Then work out where the harmonics are by playing them as natural harmonics - pick the string normally, but with your fretting finger lightly touching the string. Gradually move it up towards the bridge and keep picking til you know where the harmonics are. Then sort out your grip on your pick so you can follow the pick up with the edge of your thumb, and practice, practice, practice. You need to dig in a bit with the pick, but you barely need to touch the string with your thumb. Practice on open strings at first, then when you get the feel of it try pinches on fretted notes - cos the 'sweet' spot will vary slightly depending on which note you're fretting, and when you're getting the technique down you don't need to be chasing the harmonic up and down the string
Quote by Mattinell182
I'm really having trouble playing pinch harmonics efficiently , anyone have any tips on how to play them?

practice lots and lots mate. lots of gain and bridge pickup won't help you at all if you can't hit them in the first place. so just spend a few minutes each day just practicing hitting them until you get used to it.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
practice lots and lots mate. lots of gain and bridge pickup won't help you at all if you can't hit them in the first place. so just spend a few minutes each day just practicing hitting them until you get used to it.

i can hit them, but only when im just sitting there trying to hit them. when im actually playing a song i can't hit one to save my life.
Quote by Mattinell182
i can hit them, but only when im just sitting there trying to hit them. when im actually playing a song i can't hit one to save my life.

Keep practicing them, as the more you practice the more it becomes second nature to you.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by Mattinell182

technique technique technique
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Tempoe
JazzIII or similar pick helps.

I can do them with my fingers, picks are worth crap, it's all technique!
I used to have trouble doing them when I first started out trying to do them, but when you practice and learn where to do them on the strings, then it gets easy to do.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
its not easy tpo learn. but one you do learn it can be quite simple.

ive found that with my 9 gauge strings i cant seem to them on the high E but i can do them on all the other strings. so im moving up to gauge 10 next time i restring. so when your trying to learn to pinch harmonic, i would recommend leaning on the D or G string to get the hang of it.

also, you need to use ur bridge pup, and lots of gain.
put your ring finger on the harmonic then pick the string and pull off. you get it every time and you need almost no practice
Quote by worldwidechance
put your ring finger on the harmonic then pick the string and pull off. you get it every time and you need almost no practice

That's not a pinch harmonic.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by wildozer
its not easy tpo learn. but one you do learn it can be quite simple.

ive found that with my 9 gauge strings i cant seem to them on the high E but i can do them on all the other strings. so im moving up to gauge 10 next time i restring. so when your trying to learn to pinch harmonic, i would recommend leaning on the D or G string to get the hang of it.

also, you need to use ur bridge pup, and lots of gain.

I personally find it easier doing harmonics on heavier strings, but thats probably me though
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy