So simply put, after thinking about the future and just stuff in general, I decided after years of working with tabs, I play well enough that for now I can put technique improvement on hold and it's time to start learning to read sheet music. I went out and bought a beginner's guitar book to start reading from the basics, but I'm getting the same feeling I did when I started Latin; "This is a different language I don't understand, how do I start?", only I don't have a guide like I did in the Latin book, or at least I don't think I do. The book was Berklee Basic Guitar Vol. 1, and I have no idea where to start with reading the notes. Does anyone here have suggestions?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
---------F
E
-------D-
C
-----B---
A
---G----
F
-E------

notes on the staff and the notes in between.

idk if this helps but i enjoyed doing it
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
You'd probably benefit the most from getting lessons.

But other than that, I'd suggest looking around on the internet for sites that show riffs in tabs and notes side by side (I believe Power Tab does that also, correct me if I'm wrong) and basically figuring it out from there. It's not too hard to understand once you get the jist of it, as long as you start with relatively simply stuff.
Strats & Seagulls
Lessons....you can actually take college courses such as (music theory 100, Music theory 101, or basic music theory) Or get a guitar teacher...but not all guitar teachers will show you how to read.

Also it depends on the level you want to read at....at can read slowly....but for sight reading it takes years of dedication
Quote by sbinlb
notes on lines and a way to remember it
Fine
Does
Boy
Good
E
very

notes in spaces spell out face (low to high)

Or "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge"... Yours is kinda.. random words o.O
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
Or "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge"... Yours is kinda.. random words o.O

Every good boy does fine?
Quote by Nevermind1299
Every good boy does fine?

...Im as confused as you are o.O
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
just learn notes on the staff and get farmiliar with the circle of 5ths. Then learn all the symbols (rests, note values, treble-bass clef). After you got that down practice practice practice.
Well, first things first, if you don't already know the notes on the guitar on the whole fretboard then definately learn that first, it will make learning to read sheet music 10000000 times easier. Other than that everything all of the posters in this thread have said are good methods, but i personaly use; even george bush drives fast (EGBDF on the lines)and f.a.c.e (FACE on the spaces) and also the sharp and flat signs seem obvious enough Good luck with learning to read sheet music and enjoy guitar!!
I like R&B Slow Jam & Funk songs best. Comment me if you likey.
Pretty much all music is good to me.
Haters gonna hate
Quote by sbinlb
thats just the way i learned it in school 9 years ago so it might be wrong
nah yours is fine. Thats how I learned it and its worked for me all these years.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by KiraIBZ
...Im as confused as you are o.O

I wasn't confused.. I was just confused why you were confused..
Quote by Nevermind1299
I wasn't confused.. I was just confused why you were confused..

Well then I think that settles it then.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
Well then I think that settles it then.

I don't get it.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
I learned it in that the open spaces going up spell FACE and the lines are just the letter after the letter in the space.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
lines (bottom to top) E, G, B, D, F
spaces bottom to top FACE.
easy-peasy.
F------------
E
D---------------
C
B--------------
A
G---------------
F
E-------------
D
--C--
etc.
D, C are below the staff. it continues on above and below.
This is treble clef, by the way, which is what guitar music is written in. Bass music is in bass clef, which you shouldn't worry about too much unless you play bass. it's just written for the lower notes.
I really really recommend Solo Guitar Playing by Frederick Noad for learning to sight read. It is a classical guitar based book so long as you are ok with that.