I play thrash metal, older metal, prog metal, and some newer, heavier metal (but not 2 much)
I'd also like to play a bit of clean stuff and blues.
I can get both guitars at pretty much the same price (both includes case)
Which do you guys think would be better for me?

Thanks
LTD over RG, I don't like the edge 3 trem
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
I generally think that ESP's are usually overall better than Ibanez's.

it's the same in this case, let's weight the main specs:

Pickups: MH (Seymour Duncans) > RG (stock)
Wood: MH (Mahogany) > RG (Basswood)
Radius: MH (12") --- RG(16"), this is pretty much preferance. I like the 12" radius far more than the ibanez 16".

MH has locking tuners, cooler inlay and binding, more attractive than a solid color, and a 42mm neck instead of a 43mm (which actually does make a lot of difference and i like 42mm a lot better for sweeping and soloing).

Overall i would say the ESP is waaaayyy better. a flatter neck doesn't make that much of a difference. I know i own an Ibanez (which it says in my sig), but i also have a pretty nice ESP (which it does not say in my sig) and i like the ESP more.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by EvoLancer211

RG1570 has an Edge Pro.

Personaly though, I'd play them. I love Ibanez necks, I know people who hate em.

Quote by SPBY

generally think that ESP's are usually overall better than Ibanez's.

it's the same in this case, let's weight the main specs:

Pickups: MH (Seymour Duncans) > RG (stock)
Wood: MH (Mahogany) > RG (Basswood)
Radius: MH (12") --- RG(16"), this is pretty much preferance. I like the 12" radius far more than the ibanez 16".

MH has locking tuners, cooler inlay and binding, more attractive than a solid color, and a 42mm neck instead of a 43mm (which actually does make a lot of difference and i like 42mm a lot better for sweeping and soloing).

Overall i would say the ESP is waaaayyy better. a flatter neck doesn't make that much of a difference. I know i own an Ibanez (which it says in my sig), but i also have a pretty nice ESP (which it does not say in my sig) and i like the ESP more.

pickups aside, body wood and neck radius is all up to personal preference.
Also, there is no real point of locking tuners if you have a locking nut.

The real key, and I stress this in every guitar vs guitar thread, is that there is no real good/bad, but what you like the sound of and what you dont like the sound of. Guitars are like girls, everyone has their preference. Just try both of em and see for yourself. Either way, you will be happy with whichever you decide on.
Quote by EvoLancer211

*facedesk*

EDIT: I broke up my mini-wall of text so people will actually read it.

Anyways, TS it depends on what you want. I see people saying mahogany is better than basswood? Better? That's just ignorant to say. People prefer different woods, so pick which one you would like more. Mahogany generally has a darker tone and you won't get those brittle or harsh highs, whereas basswood is a lot more even but seems to be a bit heavier in the mids (not by much though).

As for the pickups, granted ibanez stocks aren't very good unless it's a signature model, but with proper EQ-ing they are definitely bearable until you can save up enough for new ones. If you have to, you could even look into GFS which offers cheap, mid-range pickups that would probably be a nice step up from the stocks until you can afford some Dimarzios, Duncans, or Bareknuckles.

Color is also preference. While a quilted maple top is sexy, i'm fine with having a solid color on my guitar. Especially if it means i get the feel and specs I want. With ibanez, that definitely applies. Plus ibanez has some pretty cool solid colors (mirage blue for one, which changes color depending on how much light there is).

As said before, locking tuners won't make much of a difference since both guitars have a locking nut.

Neck profiling and radius is also very much preference. While both guitars have a U-shaped neck, the ibanez wizard necks are a good deal thinner and flatter than ESP/LTD. The glossy neck finish on LTD necks never went over well with me (or on any guitar, for that matter), and i think ibanez necks are much smoother and faster, and don't get that "sticky" feeling from the finish.

The imperative question that should always be asked and seems like it has not yet been asked in this thread:
What amp do you currently own and/or use?
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Jul 17, 2009,
Japanese Made Ibanez>Korean Made LTD

And yes amp is a big part of sound, more than teh guitar what do you have
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
i have a marshall avt 100 (2000 model) lol, and a microcube.
Yeah based on the specs it seems the MH is better (im looking at the one with EMGs)
I should be trying them both out in the next few days.
One thing is that isn't the ibanez pretty much like the jem series, once you swap out the pickups? I know that pretty much only the 'handle', trem, and frets are different.
The JEM has an edge pro. The differences between the typical RG and the JEM (using the JEM7VWH as an example, probably the best-known JEM model at the moment) are that the JEM has the monkey grip handle, lion claw routing (which doesn't do anything), scalloped frets 21-24, an alder body, and a slightly different neck profile made to Steve's preferences. It's a bit different than the prestige RG necks but it's still very slim, flat, and comfortable.
And remember that the only alder JEM is the JEM7VWH. The rest are basswood. The RG is also similar to some PGMs (Gilbert) and the JPM (Petrucci). Other notable basswood players include EVH and Satch. The only thing that's not good about the RG is the pickups. It all comes down to what sounds best for what you play.
Quote by JELIFISH19
And remember that the only alder JEM is the JEM7VWH. The rest are basswood. The RG is also similar to some PGMs (Gilbert) and the JPM (Petrucci). Other notable basswood players include EVH and Satch. The only thing that's not good about the RG is the pickups. It all comes down to what sounds best for what you play.

this

then with the pickups, for some sounds you might prefer teh v7 and v8 to the emgs, depending on the style. But this. the rg is made in ibanez's japanese factory where they make the j custom and sig models. It therefore has higher quality and construction than the other ibanez's that are made in korea. The ltd is made in korea. its alright construction, i've had a couple problems with my ex400(fret issues), and by no means is it bad quality. Just the MIJ quality on my rg's beat any of my korean made guitars
Can I still get decent Children of Bodom/Lamb of God type sounds with the stock ibanez pickups? Note, this isn't the main type of music that I would be playing.
it all depends on your amp.

Even Emgs through a bad amp will sound horrible(imo they sound lack luster on non tube amps but that's just me. and even then on some tube amps they sound dry. The've only sounded good to me on rectos and soldano
Yeah I only tried Emgs once at a guitar store on a Hellraiser, and they sounded dull. It was on a non-tube amp, but I only got to play it for a couple minutes cuz i broke a string really quickly lol.
But if you said that the stock ibanez pickups sounded sort of muddy (or so i've heard) with high gain, I probably would need to change at least the bride pu to get some good metal sounds.
Quote by imbaguitar
Yeah I only tried Emgs once at a guitar store on a Hellraiser, and they sounded dull. It was on a non-tube amp, but I only got to play it for a couple minutes cuz i broke a string really quickly lol.
But if you said that the stock ibanez pickups sounded sort of muddy (or so i've heard) with high gain, I probably would need to change at least the bride pu to get some good metal sounds.

They sound great on the right amp. Its just that they can be a little bit limiting on some tones, but they can still play alot of stuff. I can stil play jazz on my emg 60 and sounds good. however if i play jazz on my air norton/paf joe/paf joe it sounds better. Same with "shred" metal. The 60 and 81 do a great job. The others just do a slightly better imo.

They can be a tiny bit muddy but they are really rich for mids, and react decently to high gain. Since the body is basswood, it reacts very nicely to different type of pups since its a neutral sounding wood.
Quote by JELIFISH19

Keep in mind, though, that alder is very similar to basswood as far as tone goes. I think the main difference between basswood and alder is that basswood takes finish better
From Ibanez: The JEM7VWH "has a super thin 0.5mm basswood veneer on the top and back. We do this with all alder woods because otherwise the finish would settle into the grain and have lines like a strat does in it after a few weeks. We do this with only alder wood that has a solid or metallic color on it. Just to let you know."

That's from jemsite. I can hear a difference between alder and basswood.
Its a just a little brighter. But its still not terrible noticable