Alright, I've been using cheap radioshack guitar cables ever since I started, so I'm pretty new to cables, I'd say. I know that Slash uses Monster cables, but are there any other good quality cables that I should look for? Price doesn't really matter, since most cables aren't extremely expensive.

Just recommend some good 1) guitar cables 2) patch cables and 3) speaker cables because I know jack **** about any of them lol.

thanks
if price isnt a problem monster everything thats what i got, but it really doesnt matter as long as you arent using old beat up cables or cables that will break easily
If you are willing to shell out 50 bucks for a 15 foot cable then go Mogami. They are one of the highest quality cables you can buy. Monster makes some decent mid range cables that go for about 20 dollars for a 12 footer (and they have a lifetime warranty). Dimarzio also makes good cables for the money.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by slash4114
If you are willing to shell out 50 bucks for a 15 foot cable then go Mogami. They are one of the highest quality cables you can buy. Monster makes some decent mid range cables that go for about 20 dollars for a 12 footer (and they have a lifetime warranty). Dimarzio also makes good cables for the money.

I was thinking more like 30-35 bucks for a 15 foot cable lol. But I'm not willing to pay 50 for that Mogami unless it's like, obviously noticeable that its better than all others.
buy Monster Cables. if you ever break them, you just bring them to the store and they give you new ones for free
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
I was thinking more like 30-35 bucks for a 15 foot cable lol. But I'm not willing to pay 50 for that Mogami unless it's like, obviously noticeable that its better than all others.

It will be noticeable. Your tone will be clearer and crisper. Also, they are extremely thick and well made. However, the mid-grade Monsters are not bad at all.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by fluffpuff999
buy Monster Cables. if you ever break them, you just bring them to the store and they give you new ones for free

Well, that's perfect then lol.

About speaker cables... Are these the wires in combo amps that are connected to the speaker? If so, do head amps come with them, or do you have to buy them?
Quote by slash4114
It will be noticeable. Your tone will be clearer and crisper. Also, they are extremely thick and well made. However, the mid-grade Monsters are not bad at all.

I'll probably end up getting Monsters.. Slash uses them, and he knows his **** lol.
I've got planet waves custom pro's and then for my speaker cable a monster and a live wire, the monster sounds leagues better than the live wire, i noticed it easily.

Oh btw, nice choice on the amp
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
It's been said before, but it deserves to be said again: lavacable.com for all of your cable needs. Impeccable customer service and great products.
mogami cables are said to be really good quality but there are many decent cables out there take a look at Dimarzio, Monster and planet waves just to name a few. My favorite cable I have is a monster but personally ive got my eye on a red bullet cable.
"Guitars are toys for me, too much fun all the time."-Paul Gilbert

Gear:
Homemade Mahogany Guitar with SD humbuckers
Carvin Legacy VL100 Head
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Cab with V30s
Line 6 Pod X3
Quote by mikewaz
It's been said before, but it deserves to be said again: lavacable.com for all of your cable needs. Impeccable customer service and great products.

+1

Get your Mogamis there and they're way cheaper and more reliable. They sound way better than the Monsters, it's an extremely noticeable difference, atleast to me and most people I play with. Slash only uses Monsters caus they pay him. In the studio he's likely using Mogami or some other cable designed to work better for studio work.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by I am wet
I've got planet waves custom pro's and then for my speaker cable a monster and a live wire, the monster sounds leagues better than the live wire, i noticed it easily.

Oh btw, nice choice on the amp

thanks I should be ordering it off musiciansfriend here in the next couple weeks
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
thanks I should be ordering it off musiciansfriend here in the next couple weeks

Cool
I bought mine from guitar center using a 15% off cupon so i got it for $298 Then there was that $30 mail in rebate so i got it downn to $268
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
Cool
I bought mine from guitar center using a 15% off cupon so i got it for $298 Then there was that $30 mail in rebate so i got it downn to $268

Really? Did you order it online? If so, I might just try to do that... The reason I can't go to the store is cuz the closest one is like 60 miles away lol.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 17, 2009,
As a guitarist, I say use Mogami. As a live sound and recording technician, I say use Mogami now. The difference is easy to hear.
I've used Live Wire, George L's, Mogami, and Monsters. I like Monsters the best, and it doesn't hurt that they're guaranteed for life (read as "never buy another cable in your life"). My entire signal chain (guitar, effects, speakers) is powered by Monster.
TS

Mogami are top notch. Monsters are great as well and with lifetime warranties. Go with either or.

Your speaker cable to connect head to the cab is going to look just the same as your instrument cable .... 1/4

Like this:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Cable-P500-Speaker-Cable-14?sku=331673

Or on lavacable, click the speaker drop down menu and check out cardas audio, canare, etc.

Remember, the back of your head and the back of your cab have 1/4 inputs so the cable you linked to will not work.

Hope that helps

Edit: And I think the speaker cables have thicker wire? and two wires not one like instrument cables. Shielding differences as well...
Last edited by MetalHead916 at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by MetalHead916
TS

Mogami are top notch. Monsters are great as well and with lifetime warranties. Go with either or.

Your speaker cable to connect head to the cab is going to look just the same as your instrument cable .... 1/4

Like this:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Cable-P500-Speaker-Cable-14?sku=331673

Or on lavacable, click the speaker drop down menu and check out cardas audio, canare, etc.

Remember, the back of your head and the back of your cab have 1/4 inputs so the cable you linked to will not work.

Hope that helps

Yeah, thanks
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Yeah, thanks

No prob!

I didn't know there was a difference until I saw a thread here on UG a month or two back. I was like holy ****, that matters!!??! But I could tell a bit of difference in tone with a speaker cable compared to an instrument one.

That and I could chill out knowing that my head won't blow up because of the wrong cable.
Quote by MetalHead916
No prob!

I didn't know there was a difference until I saw a thread here on UG a month or two back. I was like holy ****, that matters!!??! But I could tell a bit of difference in tone with a speaker cable compared to an instrument one.

That and I could chill out knowing that my head won't blow up because of the wrong cable.

That's how i was until a even knew that there was such a thing as a speaker cable... i just though instrument cables were universal