Okay, so for my first build, I'm making the neck, and i'm pretty confident in doing that, but I cant find fretted fret boards and the process of fretting is pretty daunting. I have some inlay work i wanna do with leds too, so I cant just buy a neck with a fretboard... so what should i do, cuz I want the fret job on this guitar to be worth playing.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
stewmac.com

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
they're slotted not fretted
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
oh, sorry, um... you can get finished necks (neck and fingerboard) from warmoth, but they're kind of overpriced. Fretting isn't that big of a deal actually, you can buy pre cut frets, and they all you have to do is bend them, hammer them in, trim and dress them... you can probably find lessons on youtube

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Jul 17, 2009,
Yah fretting i was worrying about on my first guitar build, but it was very easy, just get a preslotted fretboard put glue in the slots over radius the fretwire then stick the to ends or tips of it in the edges/ends of the slots and hit it hard but not to hard (more than a tap) just nice and solidly, then do the next fret, so on and so forth, then get a levelling radius sanding block and some 600 grit and work your way up to like 2000 grit sand paper and then you can crown/dress them, but i didnt and my guitar plays great, better than my store boughten ones. I think if you can do inlay work you can do fret work way easy. I havnt dared tryed anything other that dot inlays... even then ...lol
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Its not a really difficult thing to learn to do. But it does take a few fret jobs to learn the tricks and get really good results. My first fret job was playable, certainly better than what many production guitars call fretwork, just wasnt the prettiest. And if your gonna build guitars from scratch its something you are gonna have to learn to do eventually.
Thanks everyone, I'm a little more confident in the fretting now. I'm gonna be putting leds in the fretboard that light up when I hit the fret they're in.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Quote by racman92
Thanks everyone, I'm a little more confident in the fretting now. I'm gonna be putting leds in the fretboard that light up when I hit the fret they're in.

How do you plan on doing that? You'll have to rig a circuit that's completed when your finger/string contacts the fret....sound like a sweet idea, how the junk are you gunna do it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTA144ryBU
Like this guys guitar. Check out the schem in the info thing. It will be switchable between all leds on/off/on when sting is pressed down.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I dont know of anywhere that sells fretted fingerboards.

Fretting isnt that hard anyway.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/fretting.htm

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
The reason they don't sell them pre-fretted, is because they would be bent.

Each fret would open the fret slot and bend the board (think corrugated card).
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 17, 2009,