Hi there

So, i am a guitarist... i think. and i like the metals,but i also like to play everything else. i own a crate v30 american made, and i hate it. i have no desire to play when using it, i found a flextone on the craigslist thing, for 550, i said 450, he said maybe... should i go through with this, i've heard clips and i love them, and i would love to mess around with all the effects and models, so GG&A, what is your opinion! and my budget would be no more then 500.

-sam

EDIT: and i guess if i found my amp i could sell the crate.. so that could be like 700 bucks, if i get 200 for the crate, maybe more...
Last edited by PollyWntsCrack at Jul 17, 2009,
I had a Flextone II head a while back and deeply regret ever getting rid of it. I personally think that you can't go wrong with Line 6 (expect for the Spider series).
Quote by HardRockRob
I had a Flextone II head a while back and deeply regret ever getting rid of it. I personally think that you can't go wrong with Line 6 (expect for the Spider series).

One is telling me go tube, one is telling me go flextone, i need more opinions!
check this out

www.myspace.com/angeredshadow

these are some songs that I did a few years ago with that flextone II head straight into pro tools. with the exception to the bit of flange in one song, no extra EQing or f/x were used on the guitars. so, it should give you a pretty true sound.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
Hi there

So, i am a guitarist... i think. and i like the metals,but i also like to play everything else. i own a crate v30 american made, and i hate it. i have no desire to play when using it, i found a flextone on the craigslist thing, for 550, i said 450, he said maybe... should i go through with this, i've heard clips and i love them, and i would love to mess around with all the effects and models, so GG&A, what is your opinion! and my budget would be no more then 500.

-sam

EDIT: and i guess if i found my amp i could sell the crate.. so that could be like 700 bucks, if i get 200 for the crate, maybe more...

I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a used Flextone unless the pedalboard ($270 new) was included - in which case I'd go as high as $550.

For $700 you could buy a nice 15-30W tube amp.
Quote by HardRockRob

If you have a GC near you check out the used section. I've never been in a GC that didn't have 3-4 of them used for $300-400.
Quote by suhraddict
I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a used Flextone unless the pedalboard ($270 new) was included - in which case I'd go as high as $550.

For $700 you could buy a nice 15-30W tube amp.

and you can get a Vetta I for 700
and throw in the Ampeg Vh140C and the Peavey 5150 in your "to buy" list
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
Hi there

-sam

That seems awefully high priced for a used flextone. Is it the II or III? XL or not?

But if it does come with the flooarboard thing it may be a good deal
Quote by MetalHead916

That seems awefully high priced for a used flextone. Is it the II or III? XL or not?

But if it does come with the flooarboard thing it may be a good deal

It's the IIIXL and i did not inquire about the pedalboard being included, i could use that as leverage for him to sell it lower, and by the way no guitar center, i'm from cambridge ontario, close to toronto if that helps at tad bit.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
i just found a JCM 800 combo from 83 with new tubes for 700, should i try and go for that

You shouldn't go for anything until you've had a listen. Slow down and play some different amps so you can make an informed decision. Let your ears make the choice. Some people love JCMs -- I hate 'em. You might too, but you won't know until you give 'em a listen.
Quote by suhraddict
You shouldn't go for anything until you've had a listen. Slow down and play some different amps so you can make an informed decision. Let your ears make the choice. Some people love JCMs -- I hate 'em. You might too, but you won't know until you give 'em a listen.

Well of course i would try the amp, i'm an idiot, but not crazy
Flextones I have seen go for $180-$400 something is a bit off with his pricing..

Anyway flextones are a great amp, especially if you arent giggin and need a quiet amp for the house. And if you want something better but the same idea go with a Vetta.

Now if you can crank it then sure go tube and JCM's are nice amps but will need a boost to pull off most metal and they are generally loud amps..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Flextones I have seen go for $180-$400 something is a bit off with his pricing..

Anyway flextones are a great amp, especially if you arent giggin and need a quiet amp for the house. And if you want something better but the same idea go with a Vetta.

Now if you can crank it then sure go tube and JCM's are nice amps but will need a boost to pull off most metal and they are generally loud amps..

Yeah, i can crank it, like 6 houses around me all have kids in bands so they don't care, and my parents don't care, at all.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
Yeah, i can crank it, like 6 houses around me all have kids in bands so they don't care, and my parents don't care, at all.

Then go tube... Check out some used Peavey Ultra's, Triples, JSX's and so on. there going to be versatile enough for you with the brute force needed for metal. Also Ampeg VH140C's are perfect for quiet to loud as hell playing just in case. And a nice vetta would still be a good amp to keep in mind.
There's a flextone on your CL for $300. Can't tell which one it is though...

Edit: Nevermind, I think it's a lower version cuz it's 60 watts.

I'm guessing this is the flextone you're talking about

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1260382299.html

Tell that guy to get real haha. And there is no floorboard with it

And the JCM you were talking about. Try and see if it sounds like something you want
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1243645647.html
Last edited by MetalHead916 at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by MetalHead916
There's a flextone on your CL for $300. Can't tell which one it is though...

Edit: Nevermind, I think it's a lower version cuz it's 60 watts.

I'm guessing this is the flextone you're talking about

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1260382299.html

Tell that guy to get real haha. And there is no floorboard with it

And the JCM you were talking about. Try and see if it sounds like something you want
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1243645647.html

+1 the flextone guy is smokin crack...

There was one by my place going for $329 or lower if I wanted it..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
+1 the flextone guy is smokin crack...

There was one by my place going for $329 or lower if I wanted it..

Yeah man, some people on CL are ridiculous.

"I bought this guitar for $500 2 months ago, never played it so I am letting it go at a deal of $450."

I hate that ****. I like more along the lines of

"I bought this for $500 two months ago. I really need to pay rent so I'm letting it go for $175 obo"

Those are my favorite. That's a nice deal. About a month ago one was on my CL for $350.

CL is an addiction that I can't kick . After bills and rent is paid and gas is in the car, the rest of my money goes to buying, trading, or upgrading off of CL.
Quote by MetalHead916
Yeah man, some people on CL are ridiculous.

"I bought this guitar for $500 2 months ago, never played it so I am letting it go at a deal of $450."

I hate that ****. I like more along the lines of

"I bought this for $500 two months ago. I really need to pay rent so I'm letting it go for $175 obo"

Those are my favorite. That's a nice deal. About a month ago one was on my CL for $350.

CL is an addiction that I can't kick . After bills and rent is paid and gas is in the car, the rest of my money goes to buying, trading, or upgrading off of CL.

But yeah i know, i've thought about it and 450 without the pedal board isn't worth it, cause most people say its not good without it, so maybe i'll look into that jcm..
Quote by PollyWntsCrack

But yeah i know, i've thought about it and 450 without the pedal board isn't worth it, cause most people say its not good without it, so maybe i'll look into that jcm..

Yeah, not a deal worth chasing...actually not really a deal.

Check out the JCM and bring any pedals that you would use on it. Never hurts to try and you may find that it's tone works for you. Have fun!