O.K. So the song is The Islander by Nightwish, but I can tell you the chords so if you can tell by that awesome. The chords are Bm (with some trills), A, G, D, and Em a few times.
D major, might be a different mode though. What order are the chords played in?
It sounds really folky and most folkish/Celtic songs I know ARE in G so I think G wouldn't be a bad bet.
Quote by etni69
100% it's D because G has an Am and D uses an A major

Yeah, I forgot the second degree is minor lol. D it is
Damn people. I listened to the song and it's in B minor. Definately. This key has the same notes as D, but don't let that confuse you. TS, if you listen to the song, you'll hear that the progression "pulls" towards the B minor chord. Broadly speaking, that's what defines a key. It's hard to say for sure when you're looking at it on paper - just because all the chords fit in to one particular key, it doesn't necessarily mean it's in that key.
^^ b minor is the relative minor to D major :P
you are hearing me talk

CHECK OUT MY TUNES ON MY PROFILE

Gear:

laney VC30
tele/jaguar hybrid
Big muff
Small clone chorus
memory boy
Hadrwire RV-7 reverb
DD3 delay
Dunlop Crybaby wah
TS9 overdrive clone
home made tremolo
^^ :P oh i know that. i just wanted to point it out. but after playing the progression, the natural minor does sound better
you are hearing me talk

CHECK OUT MY TUNES ON MY PROFILE

Gear:

laney VC30
tele/jaguar hybrid
Big muff
Small clone chorus
memory boy
Hadrwire RV-7 reverb
DD3 delay
Dunlop Crybaby wah
TS9 overdrive clone
home made tremolo
People need to stop believing that relative keys are the same thing; they're related, but still quite distinct.

Definately in B minor.
^Indeed. It's not a question of which one sounds "better", edwarde. Just because they share the same notes and key signature, it doesn't mean you can choose to call it either one.
Last edited by Beserker at Jul 17, 2009,