So I was just writing a song on the guitar and came up with this progression in the key of C lydian:

---x----------x----------x------------x
---4----------5----------0-----------7
---5----------4----------2-----------5
---3----------5----------3-----------7
---x----------x----------x-----------x

Cmaj7? Dmaj(m6)? Cmaj Em6?

Are these chords right? I'm mainly concerned about the 2nd and 4th ones. Help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It's standard tuning.
The second one is D major with a minor 7 and the last is Em7.
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Last edited by rhysm at Jul 17, 2009,
D major with a minor 7th is a Dominant 7th, correct?
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Yea thats it, no problem!
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
I see no reason why you couldn't use C lydian over that. You've got the D7 sort of highlighting the b5. I reckon it sounds pretty good with an open B string played with each chord btw.

However this question "Are these chords right?" is the wrong one. That is entirely up for you to decide. I can see why you might want to know whether C lydian works over that or not, but you can hear for yourself that it does, right? If it sounds ok to you, that's all that matters.
Quote by Beserker

However this question "Are these chords right?" is the wrong one. That is entirely up for you to decide. I can see why you might want to know whether C lydian works over that or not, but you can hear for yourself that it does, right? If it sounds ok to you, that's all that matters.

I believe he ment are the names right
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
I would this this progression as:

G/C - D7 - C - Em7

I hesitate to call the first chord Cmaj7 firstly because it lacks the 3rd (whereas G/C lacks the 5th) and also because the progression feels to me like it resolves to G.
Quote by Cyberbob

G/C - D7 - C - Em7

I hesitate to call the first chord Cmaj7 firstly because it lacks the 3rd (whereas G/C lacks the 5th) and also because the progression feels to me like it resolves to G.
This

Although I do think it resolves quite nicely to C
Quote by Nietsche
This

Although I do think it resolves quite nicely to C

Agreed, it's ambiguous enough to work with either I think.
Quote by Beserker
I see no reason why you couldn't use C lydian over that. You've got the D7 sort of highlighting the ♯4. I reckon it sounds pretty good with an open B string played with each chord btw.

(pedantic correction aside) I couldn't agree more.
Si
Haha right you are. I can never be bothered remembering which is the right one
Cmaj7 D7 C Em7

You cant use lydian over this because the lydian scale is a mode and this is not a modal progression.

Bam
Quote by TheLetheProject
So I was just writing a song on the guitar and came up with this progression in the key of C lydian:

---4----------5----------0-----------7
---5----------4----------2-----------5
---3----------5----------3-----------7
---x----------x----------x-----------x

Cmaj7? Dmaj(m6)? Cmaj Em6?

Are these chords right? I'm mainly concerned about the 2nd and 4th ones. Help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It's standard tuning.

what do you mean by "right" ?

btw the chords are: CMaj7 D7 C Em7

Quote by Cyberbob

G/C - D7 - C - Em7

I wouldn't hesitate. I understand your reasoning, but when you consider common practice, it's actually not all that unusual to play a chord that is voiced without the 3rd. You could justify it as being "implied". Furthermore, a I chord with the 11th in the bass, (G/C) is not common at all.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 17, 2009,
Cmaj7 D7 C Em7

You cant use lydian over this because the lydian scale is a mode and this is not a modal progression.

Bam

Modal Progressions consist of chords created exclusively from one mode. Like any chord progression, the chord sequences must produce resolution to the I chord of the key. In order to characterize the particular mode, the predominant secondary chords must contain the unique notes of the mode.
Cmaj7 followed by D7 covers every note in C lydian, so the progression could be seen as modal.

And, just to be harsh.... Bam.
Quote by TheLetheProject
Yeah, I think the first chord is G/C, since the fifth isn't a vital part of most. And yes, I was only asking about the chord names.

No, its C maj7. Slash chords indicate inversions, which is not the case.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.