Is it a good thing or a bad thing to open and end your set with the cover.

We have approximately an 8 song setlist at the minute, we have another 7 songs we could choose from, but those are our 8 best played and catchiest song. We are planning on opening with 'Bring Me To Life' and ending with 'Can You Feel It'. The other 6 being our own songs.

UG, thoughts?
close with your own best song. open with a well known crowd pleaser to get everyone's attention.

Add:

1. how can you write a "definitive guide to gigging" if your asking questions like this? (about gigging)

2. the term is "when in rome, do'eth as the romans do" (relative to one of your song titles)

ADD

1. v2. i read that article about gigging, its quite good. i thought it would be about something else, not starting gigging, so yeah. disregard point no.1 lol
*Enter Sig Here*
Last edited by Hale_91 at Jul 17, 2009,
are your songs heavier live than they are in the recordings on myspace?
*Enter Sig Here*
ahhk. just curious. as something like "bring me to life" is quite a heavy (chunky) and dark song, where as your music isnt really heavy, and its quite positive.

point is, playing BMTL would be great, especially if you can nail it, but yall might be better off playing something that has a similar feel/mood. to the type of music you play.

i can just imagine like, a dark gloomy and heavy atmosphere in a theater, waiting for the curtains to be drawn. mood is getting VERY tense and dark. only for the curtains to be drawn to see big bird standing there eating a cookie with bert.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
i can just imagine like, a dark gloomy and heavy atmosphere in a theater, waiting for the curtains to be drawn. mood is getting VERY tense and dark. only for the curtains to be drawn to see big bird standing there eating a cookie with bert.

Best description ever. Almost tempting to change my sig for that one ...

As a rule of thumb, open with a well-known song, close with your best. Now, I have to agree that if the rest of your setlist is not as heavy as BMTL, you shouldn't play it at all.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
I'd 'close' with one of your own songs...then encore with a cover maybe? introduce it a little so people know its a bit 'separate' to the rest of your set and rock out ^^
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Quote by dancelasvegas
BMTL isn't that heavy a song really :/

You have to consider what style of music you are playing otherwise, though. Relative to, say, Slayer, of course it's not heavy.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
i disagreee never open or close with covers
they are the two most memorable parts of a show and therefore are what the audience will remember those two must always be yoru own songs otherwise you'll be known as that band that did a good cover of... rather than that band that had a great opener its better to be known for your own work rather than a portrayal of someone elses
covers tend to go half way or 3/4s through a set just as your audience should be at their most engaged
Covers are best just before your ending to get people excited - before ending with your best song to leave an impression on them.

ie. Covers are good for "setting up" your best tunes.
***Short Sig***
imo its fine ...

and i like the first track on your myspace
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
actually, ive seen a few local bands (that were starring in a concert), play a well known song on CD to set the mood, then they all come out into there positions, take their stance, then start playing along (to lead into there own song after just playing the ending of the cover), or have the song altered so it incorporates the string section to the opening of a song or something etc. etc.

you could even have a guitarist walk out on stage all alone playing something hell random (and well known) say. yanky doodle. then alter it to the start of your first song when all the loghts come on to show ya all jumpin around and what not.
*Enter Sig Here*
Last edited by Hale_91 at Jul 20, 2009,