I've been playing guitar for about 1 1/2 years now & I got into a nasty habit of only using down strokes. Are there specific exercises for alternate picking or...should I just try & play what I know with alternate strums? I've gotten a riff or two down adequately with alternate picking but I need more speed.

P.S Just 'cause I feel like letting you guys know what I've got ^-^ I've got a Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX "United Abominations" running through a Spider III
Practice...

That's all you can do. Also what exactly are you talking about? Alternate picking or alternate strumming?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Alternate picking...In my mind it's the same >.< Correct me if I'm wrong but...Isn't alternate picking with one string & alternate strumming with all strings?
Quote by Ratlhed
Alternate picking...In my mind it's the same >.< Correct me if I'm wrong but...Isn't alternate picking with one string & alternate strumming with all strings?

That's how I always thought of it.
Remember to learn economy picking.

Well, I say learn, it's something I do naturally and I don't recall ever sitting down to learn how to do it.
But yeah, learn it.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
It's the on more strings, but its a different movement, try by practicing M&M's by blink 182, start slowly and when you can nail it, you can nail alternate picking!
Economy Picking is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard of. Do you take 3 steps with your left leg and then 1 with your right leg when you walk?? Does that make you walk faster?? Don't waste your time!! All economy picking leads to is sloppy timing.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Quote by bpazolli
Economy Picking is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard of. Do you take 3 steps with your left leg and then 1 with your right leg when you walk?? Does that make you walk faster?? Don't waste your time!! All economy picking leads to is sloppy timing.

Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by bpazolli

You also don't have 6 legs.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Quote by bpazolli

ahh, said just like an ignorant idiot.

a little frustrated with learning new techniques are we?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson