After some advise.

I have an old nylon string acoustic and I generally pick it up and play every day. Also have electric which I find I play less often.

Anyway, I'm looking to move into a flat/apartment soon and think the acoustic will be too loud for the neighbours.

Obviously there is no way I'm giving it up. Can anyone suggest acoustic guitar that might be a bit quieter than the standard traditional nylon string models?

Should I look for a shallow body design?
Is there much difference?
Would steel string acoustic be quieter like an electric unplugged?

Any advise much appreciated.
Any nylon string acoustic shouldn't be too loud for a flat, but if you want to make it quieter you can stuff some foam inside it to dampen the sound.
You could get a hollow body electric. That would be quieter when not plugged in and plays just like an acoustic.
you can shop for a soundhole cover plate which is originally designed to reduce feedback playing plugged into amp. if you find a plate with possibly no holes for air circulation, it will be much quieter

anyway i'd never think guitar is loud for neighbours at all. they must be dicks to tell you it.
did anyone see a youtube video where guy sold his 120w tube head because he thought it was too loud for neighbours, and then, he discovered it was fine, and felt really pissed off before he bought new amp
i'd have a talk with them first
Get a sweatband and put it up the top, just over the nut, not enough to cover the whole fret, but to allow less vibration. or alternitavley, near the saddle, weave some elastic bands in between the strings (cut it so its 1 line lol)

theyre the povvo ways, there are things to buy for that problem though
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Last edited by Mr.Pink101 at Jul 17, 2009,
Advise is a verb, advice is the noun.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Nylons are very quiet... but if you really want something to make it quieter then get one of these.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Markley-The-Suppressor-Acoustic-Soundhole-Cover?sku=369300

Go to your store and bring your guitar along. The soundhole on classical guitars is smaller than most steel string acoustic guitars, so you'll need to make sure it fits.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
throw some socks in the soundhole
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by captivate
Nylons are very quiet... but if you really want something to make it quieter then get one of these.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Markley-The-Suppressor-Acoustic-Soundhole-Cover?sku=369300

Go to your store and bring your guitar along. The soundhole on classical guitars is smaller than most steel string acoustic guitars, so you'll need to make sure it fits.

Looks like a cheese grater.
I agree with everyone else...there really is no way a classical guitar is too loud for a flat. Hell, I really don't think my steel string martin is too loud for a flat. Don't worry about it.

If you absolutely have to quiet it, either buy a soundhole cover like captivate said, stuff the sound hole with socks (it really does work...great for playing late at night). Another thing no one suggested is something I had never heard of until my friend did it. He got some soft and muffling material (pretty sure it was felt) and basically make an encasing jacket for his guitar. It covered the body except the strings and soundhole (which he would use a soundhole cover for super quiet, or not for only a little muffled) and just covered over alot of the top, all the back and sides so that it didn't vibrate enough to make alot of noise.

Really though, your guitar really isn't too loud if its a nylon.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Quote by GC Shred Off
Why not just play quietly?

Would that not kill you? If I have learned anything from this forum its that the louder you play the better...

But on a more serious note, I assume because if you play classically then you need to practice dynamics and articulation markings, which isn't really possible if you just play softer. If you use a soundhole cover or something similar then you can still play like you were doing those dynamics or articulations, they will just be muffled to the ear.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Quote by ReChord
If I have learned anything from this forum its that the louder you play the better...

Amen to that. But honestly, even a rather loud classical guitar barely exceeds normal conversation volume. I can't see that causing any sort of problem for a somewhat sensible neighbor. Just let them know beforehand that you play guitar and if they have an issue, they should just come over and ask you to quiet down. That's the first thing I do when I move into a new place.
Take an old sock and fold it up a bit. Put it underneath the strings right next to the bridge (so its between the body and strings), make sure it stays there by itself.

This dampens the strings alot, it also makes it a little harder to play with the right hand. So if youre fingerpicking, it will actually strengthen your fingers.
Thanks for the tips everyone. Plenty of things to try if the neighbours ever make a fuss about the noise.