I like my late night jams in the basement but must keep them silent. Right now i have my guitar>> pedalboard >> Behringer Mixer>> laptop mic jack. and it sounds like ass. its enough to practice techniqes but for legitimate creative jamming its just terrible. any ways to make it sound better? and not lose the ability to record any riffs. do the interfaces make it sound better? like the 1/4 inch to USB. I only have a laptop and not a whole lot of money so a legitimate recording computer or card is fairly out of the question?

How do you silent jam??!
Quote by somekid413
I like my late night jams in the basement but must keep them silent. Right now i have my guitar>> pedalboard >> Behringer Mixer>> laptop mic jack. and it sounds like ass. its enough to practice techniqes but for legitimate creative jamming its just terrible. any ways to make it sound better? and not lose the ability to record any riffs. do the interfaces make it sound better? like the 1/4 inch to USB. I only have a laptop and not a whole lot of money so a legitimate recording computer or card is fairly out of the question?

How do you silent jam??!

Possible problem? I hear Behringer stuff is pretty low quality. Dunno about their mixers though.

The sound card in your laptop is probably compressing the sound, though, and making it lower quality because it can't process the signal that well.
Don't use the mic jack. Its a little weird, but sometimes there're dedicated inputs for mics and another input for other auxhiliary inputs...

Personally i use the windows sound recorder straight from my amp - if your mixer has a headphone jack, just get a headphone-headphone cable and plug it into the auxhiliary.
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
I personally use a MicroBR from Boss. Plug directly into it, has quite a number of customizable presets, 4 track recorder, and the headphone out jack would definitely help you out. You can then easily transfer the tracks to your laptop.

http://www.bossus.com/go/micro_br/
"Right now i have my guitar>> pedalboard >> Behringer Mixer>> laptop mic jack"
"guitar>> pedalboard >> Behringer Mixer>> laptop mic jack"
"Behringer Mixer>> laptop mic jack"
">> laptop mic jack"

Not good.
so i fuigured the laptop mic jack is the issue... would an interface sound better? and i mean a lot better?

Im what one would call broke so spending 100+ on a n interface to marginally better results isnt worth it to me.
First, turn off the 20db boost on the mic input. It will add noise and make the input more likely to clip.

Second, going from a pedalboard into a mixer is going to sound like ass. You've got no cabinet simulation. It will sound harsh.

A Behringer mixer should sound just fine.
Buy a vox headphone amp
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
Quote by khfan23
Buy a vox headphone amp

+1

But if you need to record get a Line 6 GX ($99) -- it's a 1/4" to USB interface with a headphone jack that comes with amp/cab/pedal models as well as recording software.
somekid413 I know it's an old post and question, but I have a new answer to how we silent jam. It's called the silent musician and you can check it out at www.silentmusician.com. I invented it, and have got the patent so check it out, contact me with any questions, and good luck my friend.