I'm popping over to New York (from the UK) for a holiday and whilst I was there I was planning on picking up a left handed acoustic guitar.

My budget is about $800 and as I'm travelling back that cost will have to include a hard case. I’ll also need to be able to purchase the guitar over the counter in the central area of NYC.

I've been playing electric for 8 months on and off; I don’t have any particular style yet but prefer the dreadnaught style of guitar.

If it helps my musical tastes vary from The Cure to NIN to ZZ Top. It’s easier to say what I don’t like – Chart Pop, Country and Western, Classical and R&B.

I like the look of acoustic guitars with peculiar sound holes, but have found it hard to locate locally a quality guitar that’s left handed and has a look that makes you stop and double-take.

I’ve seen the Luna Trinity Dreadnaught on the web but have never picked one up, and I’ve tried surfing around for advice but info is scarce.

I don't like Slipknot but I like the look of the Ovation MT37 Mick Thomson Signature Guitar but there isnt a Left Handed model

Any suggestions on models to try or shops to visit?

Thanks in advance
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Last edited by CarbonToe at Jul 17, 2009,
Just for reference, avoid Luna and Ibanez. Guitars that "look" pretty are usually built like trash. In your range, look at some Takamines as well as Epiphone Masterbilts and Guild GAD series guitars.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
You might have trouble finding a left-handed model in the store...be prepared for that. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I saw one. You may be better off placing the order online and having it delivered wherever you're staying. You won't be able to play it first, but it's the only way to guarantee that you get the instrument you're looking for (especially since instruments here are comparatively cheaper).

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Thanks very much for your help.

I was thinking of popping into the store and looking at what models they have, chatting to the staff and asking them to play (assuming right handed model) and then getting them to order a left handed version ofr me to pick up later in the week.
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
That might not be good enough, actually. You really need to feel the neck for yourself to see if it fits you. You may get a gauge for the sound, but that's about it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^ I agree. I'd also caution that their turnaround to order and receive a guitar is likely to be longer than a week.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Thanks for all your help.

I popped into nearly all of the guitar stores in Manhatten and tried out all the affordable left handed guitars stocked but none really ticked all the boxes and I didn't see the point buying a guitar and hardcase that I wasn't 100% sold on just to get it a little cheaper than buying here in the UK (or as expensive if you consider I wouldn't need the hardcase if I didnt have to ship it).

I found Sam Ash Guitars had the best selection of Left Handed guitars out of all the shops, Rudy's Music even though they didn't have any left handed stock didn't shy away about recommending other Guitars stores I'd not visted (thanks), Chelsea Guitars offered to convert any guitar over and treat it as a priority job so I could take it away with me (which was appreciated).

I did like a Seagull I tried in Ludlow and a Takamine & Taylor from SAMs but in the end I've decided to badger Ovation to release a left handed black Elite T and wait for that elusive Leftie!!!!