Is there any advice you guys could give me to work on my phrasing? i know **** loads of scales and such but i always seem to be repeating myself!
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
If you learn how to write music down, in standard notation, it'll help you see why your rhythm isnt varied enough

It can feel boring, writing music, but it'll help you see your weaknesses in black and white
Quote by sbinlb
metronome

that simple? really? i've been trying to work on my phrasing as well.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Listen to alot of Jazz guitarists, might I suggest Wes Montgomery. Then try only using one or two or three notes for an entire solo/song and make it sound good. Once you do that then start incorporating scales. We do this in Jazz and it always works. Also if you feel you are repeating yourself make sure you are playing scales in different positions.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by sbinlb
metronome

Lol.

I don't see how using a metronome could possibly improve your phrasing except in the timing department.

Here's one idea. Our instrument is like our voice, right? We're supposed to "speak" through it. So try taking that to a slightly more literal level. Think of speech patterns. When we speak, we use different kinds of phrasing for different effects - a rising terminal when we ask a question and so forth. Leaving space to breathe is an important consideration for the speaker. Think about that when you're playing. Maybe think of some verbal phrases in your head, anything you like really, and try to "play" them. See what happens. The results may surprise you.
Quote by Beserker
Lol.

I don't see how using a metronome could possibly improve your phrasing except in the timing department.

+ 1

metronome is a non-answer to the TS's question.

TS:

- learn what a phrase is
- learn to recognize phrases in music
- practice writing phrases
- practice playing phrases
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 17, 2009,
^ +2

try to think of your guitar less as a guitar and moreso as a musical instrument. often times i think "if this were a violin/piano/cello/flute/synth/ etc etc what would it do"
Once you have an idea of what a phrase is, start writing your own phrases. I cant think of a better way to practice that then over a backing track or with a buddy.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
A metronome WILL help you're phrasing, because you're concept of rhythm within a single bar can be insanely one dimensional and repetitive without you ever realizing it, playing with a metronome will isolate the phrasing element in such a way that if you suck, you'll quickly notice
Quote by voodoochild23
A metronome WILL help you're phrasing, because you're concept of rhythm within a single bar can be insanely one dimensional and repetitive without you ever realizing it, playing with a metronome will isolate the phrasing element in such a way that if you suck, you'll quickly notice

No, a metrome will help your timing, your timing will help your phrasing.

TS. As well as the other tips given here, listen to a wide variety of musicians and see how they use phrasing.
^ I agree a metronome will help your timing. Understanding what a phrase is, and working on your ability to recognize and play phrases, will help your phrasing.
shred is gaudy music