I've been playing for a little over a year. This is my current setup.

Ibanez RGA121
Boss ME-70
Boss MT-2
Roland Cube 15X

I think it's time for an amp upgrade. It seems like I can't get really tight low end distorion. When I palm mute, it sounds like booooooooooommmmmmm. It's not very crisp. Could this be the amp?

Gigs: NO
Music: Metal, Metal, and Thrash Metal
Budget: 200-400 bucks

I think I want SS or Hybrid because I'll never be able to push a tube.
I'm open to all recommendations, but I did see this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VTXL-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483007

Is this to big, too loud? I read it can go from 2.5 to 100 watts.

Any help is appreciated.
well like allways you should test some amps yourself, see if they can deliver the sound you want...

about that Vox amp... i've played a few of those and they are pretty decent!
Drum drum drum away!
that amp's not bad, but it's not made for metal. what do you mean you'll never be able to push a tube?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Unfortunately, I'm currently in Lake Charles, LA. The amp I looked at isn't kept in stock, and the ones they do have aren't geared for what I want. I also work 28/30 days in a month, so I can barely make it to a store.
Run through the clean channel? I don't think so.

I don't believe the sound is messed up. I just think it's a cheap practice that just won't sound as good as a quality amp.
Well, in that range, that's about the best you can do. First just try plugging straight into the amp without your pedals. If you don't like it, the best things you can try are a Peavey Vypyr and a B-52 AT-112
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
that amp's not bad, but it's not made for metal. what do you mean you'll never be able to push a tube?

Tubes have to be cranked to get a good distorted sound. I don't know much, but that's from what I've read.

To mcrfobtai, I've looked at B 52, but it is apparently a lemon. The msrp is over $1000, but they are selling it for $300 because most of them break. I'll look into the Vypyr.

Does anyone know of the benefits of going from an 8 in. speaker to a 12 in. or even to a 2x12 setup?
Quote by hsteve3
Tubes have to be cranked to get a good distorted sound. I don't know much, but that's from what I've read.

To mcrfobtai, I've looked at B 52, but it is apparently a lemon. The msrp is over $1000, but they are selling it for $300 because most of them break. I'll look into the Vypyr.

Does anyone know of the benefits of going from an 8 in. speaker to a 12 in. or even to a 2x12 setup?

they can sound good at low volume, its just that cranking it gets you that perfect saggy, fat, power tube distortion (which you don't need for metal anyways). i'd look at the b-52.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
But it is a LEMON. I was very interested in it. It was in my MusicianFriend cart, but the reviews indicate that it will fail if I buy it.

Isn't a 60 watt tube amp absurdly loud?

What do you know about differences between speaker sizes?
Quote by hsteve3

They need to be cranked for full potential. You can still play them at low levels. What's weird to me is that you live in an apartment and you linked to a 100watt vox amp??!?

Don't know anything about the B-52. Somebody yesterday made a new amp day thread with one. In like 20 minutes after that they had a "my amp doesn't work" thread.

For the speakers, projection and how it can handle the frequencies I would think. For example, a 12 in. can handle a lot more low end boom than an 8 in.

You said something about 60 watt tube loudness. Yeah, that's loud. Just how I like it
Last edited by MetalHead916 at Jul 17, 2009,
I linked to the VOX because it's seems like a good deal and wattage is adjustable from 2.5 to 100.

That's why I'm asking you guys for help. Should I get 30, 50, 100 watts.....? Is a 2x12 setup going to reproduce sound better?
2x12 will project better and imo sound more fuller.

Does that vox also have the attenuator knob on the back? I know that the newer VT series do, but not sure about the older ones.

But if you don't want to go that loud, look at a single 12" maybe.

Vt30 is my suggestion. You already linked a vox, this one has an attenuator on the back to choose how much wattage you want. It's only a 10" speaker though. I've tested 'em and they get plenty loud for an apartment environment.

If you're willing to go used, you will most certainly find a great deal on Craigslist. If so, check the LA craigslist.

And Scratch the VT30 suggestion. I just read that your genre is metal and that amp isn't really targeted at the metal genre, but I have gotten a decent metal tone out of it.

Question is, are you willing to go used?
The vox website says there is a power level controller on the back. So, if it has this feature I could go with 100 watter? It seems like XL series is geared for metal.

Go used on the VOX? I think the deal is pretty good so I wouldn't have to go used.

If you want to recommend something used that isn't currently in production, I'll consider it. However, I've looked at craigslist, and I don't think Louisiana has selection that a lot of other states have.
Quote by hsteve3
The vox website says there is a power level controller on the back. So, if it has this feature I could go with 100 watter? It seems like XL series is geared for metal.

Go used on the VOX? I think the deal is pretty good so I wouldn't have to go used.

If you want to recommend something used that isn't currently in production, I'll consider it. However, I've looked at craigslist, and I don't think Louisiana has selection that a lot of other states have.

Eh, just me. When things are $300 new, I like to pay $150 for 'em from somebody who bought it and never used it. At least then you know it's not a lemon. That's my way of thinking. I like buying things for 25%-50% off the original price. Really, I've only bought two things new from a store in the past couple of years. A pedal and a peavey vypyr 15. The vypyr was a lemon so I had to return it. Weird is that all my used items are more reliable than anything new I get.

But looking at your Craigslist, you have absolutely nothing. One day on my craigslist makes up 2 pages. Yours has a whole week on the first page so yeah the used market doesn't look too well.

Can anybody else here suggest an amp geared towards metal that may be better than the vox for $300?

If it looks good to you I say go for it. You can coax metal out of it. I have with the newer Valvetronix line.
Why is that?

The XL series is supposed to be for metal. I know the other vox amps aren't.

I use a multi-effects and another pedal. If I'm not mistaken the amp will take on there sound. I'm more concerned with a larger speaker or two speakers so I get all mushiness out of the sound and better projection.
Quote by mcrfobtai
If you don't like the Roland, I honestly don't think you'll like the Vox.

You make a good point. But he will get a fuller palm mute with 2 12s's as opposed to one 8" (If thats what the 15x has in it, not too sure)
What is the deal with the Line 6 Spider III?

A guy at work said I should look into it, but it seems like people get murdered around here for talking about.
Have you ever tried a line 6 spider III? If not, try one and you will understand...

Oh, I didn't know the XL was geared towards metal. I don't really look at Vox when I want a metal amp.

And you don't want to use a MultiFX pedal with a modeler. Really doesn't make any sense.

But it sounds like you've had your mind made up before you even posted this thread. If it doesn't work you can always return it. The 2x12's will give you better sound projection.
Thanks guys, I'm considering getting rid of the ME-70.

I looked at a lot of stuff, I was just curious if anyone would throw something out that was just dead right.

I really appreciate all the help.
Yeah dude, and there are a lot more people here that are way more highly knowledgeable about different amp gear than I am. I guess they just didn't see the thread.

The one thing good with buying new is warranties and return/exchange policies. That's the big plus. Hey, if it doesn't work, return it and try something different. At least you won't be stuck with it.

Good luck man

Whoa, I made a thread like this about two weeks ago... the AD100VT-XL had suddenly disappeared from Musiciansfriend, so I was looking for another option. (I'm glad it's back now hehe)

Well, summarizing my old thread, I was suggested the B-52 AT-112 and told that it would definitely sound better than the Vox, but I've witnessed the past 3 days being a pain for new B-52 owners whose amps died =/... I'm still unsure on which would be a better deal.. the Vox or the B-52. The B-52's status as a "Poor Man's Mesa" is a selling point to me.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Lekz
<snip>The B-52's status as a "Poor Man's Mesa" is a selling point to me.

The B52s OK ... having owned (and returned) both the SS 4x12 and the tube 1x12 combo... I don't see any similarity to a Mesa Boogie other than they're both guitar amplifiers.
Last edited by suhraddict at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by suhraddict
If you like Mesas then....wait for it....save up and buy one!!!!

Seriously, why settle for a lesser amp when you obviously like the sound of a Mesa.

The B52s OK ... having owned (and returned) both the SS 4x12 and the tube 1x12 combo... I don't see any similarity to a Mesa Boogie other than they're both guitar amplifiers.

Saving for a Mesa will take me quite a while, and I need something to replace my current crappy amp... my budget for a new amp is about $400. Technically, I could buy a Mesa Triple Recto, but that would mean using up all my savings/college survival money.. and unless I get an awesome co-op job, there's no way I'll save up enough until after I'm done with my studies.
Blackstar HT-5
My friend owns a b52 at100 head and matching cab. I have yet see it fail. It sounds great for metal.
That's a head and cab. The AT112 combo is the one that breaks all the time. That is why it is so cheap.
btw, the AD100VT-XL was changed to "discontinued item" in mfriends.
Blackstar HT-5