Style: Blues, Classic Rock, and Classic Metal (think Iron Maiden)

Guitars: John Suhr Classic SSS, Gibson Joan Jett Signature, Gretsch Malcolm Young Signature HB/HB

Live and/or Practice - I have a variable-ohm attenuator.

Current Amps: Suhr Badger 18W and Fender Blues Jr 15W; Avatar 2x12 with Jensens (Fender), Avatar 4x12 with Celestion Vintage 30s (Suhr). Blackheart Handsome Devil 15W combo (practice and travel).

Effects: BOSS TU2, Carl Martin Quattro

Budget: No more than $6000 in total

Current GAS List: Fender Twin Reverb (to replace the Blues Jr for my some of my clean sounds), Vox AC30 (several songs I do sound better with that "Voxy Tone"), and Fender CyberTwin SE (for studio use).

Amps I'm not Interested In: Marshalls, Mesa Boogies, Line 6, Crates, Fenders (other than the Twin Reverb and CyberTwin SE), Vox (other than AC30), Epiphone, Laney, Rocktron, Randall (other than their modular line), Bogner, Gibson, Roland, Kustom, Peavey, Carvin, Blackstar, Egnater, Krank, B52, and Orange. Also...no solid state amps please.

Very happy with my current rig; however, I (like many of you) am a gear hound. I've played lots of amps in the past, so I know what I like and what I don't; however, my point with this posting is to get a line on some amps that I may not have heard of. So fire away - let me know about any amps that I might find useful given my gear/genre - so I can hunt 'em down and give 'em a test drive!

And please -- only recommend amps that you actually own or have played extensively. ;(
Last edited by suhraddict at Jul 17, 2009,
What do you think of Orange Amps? We use them at Uni all the time, they are valve, and or and sound pretty fat.

Why not try a Thunder Verb or AD30?
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
Diezel Schmidt
Mako Custom Hundred
Titan Custom
Dr. Z
Suhr
65 amps
Divided by 13

you have a big budget and you have alot amps if your do not want list.

WTFdit:
you COULD get a Twin Reverb for cleans and something "that can do mid gain that is not in your do not want list" for Classic metal
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jul 17, 2009,
Have you ever tried a Cornford amp? IMO they're fantastic and versatile, however I hear they're a little expensive in the US.
Gear
Guitars
PRS CE22
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
B.C.Rich Warlock Bronze series (raffle prize)
Pedals
Crybaby from Hell
Blackstar HT-Dual
Line 6 DL-4

Amp
Cornford Roadhouse 30
Quote by stueey
What do you think of Orange Amps? We use them at Uni all the time, they are valve, and or and sound pretty fat.

Why not try a Thunder Verb or AD30?

Sorry, forgot to add them to the "not interested" list. It's not that I don't like them, but rather, they just don't give me the sound I'm after.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Diezel Schmidt
Mako Custom Hundred
Titan Custom
Dr. Z
Suhr
65 amps
Divided by 13

you have a big budget and you have alot amps if your do not want list.

WTFdit:
you COULD get a Twin Reverb for cleans and something "that can do mid gain that is not in your do not want list" for Classic metal

65 amps and Divided by 13 are definitely going to get a look -- if I can find any around these parts. How do they compare to the Suhr Badger tonewise?
Why are you not interested in those brands, some of them are very good.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by demitriv
Why are you not interested in those brands, some of them are very good.

I've played most of the models and they either (1) don't cut it for me tonewise, (2) are poorly constructed or made with cheap materials, (3) don't have the features I want - or have more features than I need, or (4) just don't have that "mojo" I'm looking for due to some reason or the other.
Quote by IbanezRulez
ENGL's are very versatile and tonewise, they're pretty unequaled.

Yep, they sound great, but the higher wattage models are too much for me, and thus not worth the price. I'll probably hunt down a check out some lower wattage models. OTTOYH, do they have 15-30W models?
Quote by suhraddict
I've played most of the models and they either (1) don't cut it for me tonewise, (2) are poorly constructed or made with cheap materials, (3) don't have the features I want - or have more features than I need, or (4) just don't have that "mojo" I'm looking for due to some reason or the other.

are you interested in some vintage marshalls???
or a pimped out one (Splawn, Cameron etc.)?
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
are you interested in some vintage marshalls???
or a pimped out one (Splawn, Cameron etc.)?

Nope. I refuse to pay highly inflated vintage prices. IMHO, the tones achieved aren't worth the cost. I've owned several such pieces of gear in the past and have sold them all to buy quality "workingman's" gear -- I'm a player, not a collector.

As far as "pimped out" gear...it depends. My main concern is quality tone and versatility. If such amps deliver these at a good price, then I'm game.

Aren't the Splawns more "metally"?
Cornford would probably be the one I'd suggest looking into.

Also worth consideration...

Dr. Z
ENGL Screamer
Hughes and Kettner (Duotone, or Statesman)

Although with 6 grand to play with I would seriously consider going for a Mesa/Peavey/Marshall, and having a company like Voodoolabs mod it.

I got the chance to A/B a Voodoolabs modded JSX next to my own, and the difference was absolutely huge. I honestly believe that no boutique amp can really compare to it.

The downside is that it's both expensive, and somewhat risky, as you're kinda stuck with what you get, and if you don't like it.... Well too bad.
Quote by suhraddict

Aren't the Splawns more "metally"?

Nope, Splawns have some amps that are designed for lower gain stuff and higher gain (Quickrod).
and also check the Diamond Spitfire II and the Cameron CCV-100(i dunno about indie tho, but it can do Maiden very well)
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Nope, Splawns have some amps that are designed for lower gain stuff and higher gain (Quickrod).
and also check the Diamond Spitfire II and the Cameron CCV-100(i dunno about indie tho, but it can do Maiden very well)

OK, I'll check 'em out. Thanks.
Quote by icronic
<snip>Although with 6 grand to play with I would seriously consider going for a Mesa/Peavey/Marshall, and having a company like Voodoolabs mod it.

$6K is an absolute upper limit -- and an amp would have to be eargasmic in order for me to spend that much...I mean I could buy the Twin Reverb, AC30, and CyberTwin SE and still have change for $6K.