Ok so i recently got an '02 gibson les paul standard with the regular gibson 'deluxe' tuners, but they have a tendency to not stay in tune.

they use the press-fit brushings, now im thinking of replacing them with minimal mods (ei- not removing the brushings) for the new tonepros/kluson press fit brushing model tuners.

question: any experience with those? will they stay well in tune?
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Well can't say I've had experience with those tuners...

But I find that it's best just to pay $50 and get it setup - especially with such a nice gibson

If that doesn't work - then replace the tuners
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
The tuners on my standard suck too. Sperzial (if thats how you spell it) and Grover both make replacement tuners that have great reviews.
joshuaestock.com
Those Gibson deluxe tuners are the bane of my existence. You will find yourself a lot happier with your guitar once you rid yourself of those things.
Are there any drop in replacements that will not make me strangle myself with the g-string?
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
get some gotoh tuners, i`ve got stock grover tuners on my `99 LP and never have tuning issues.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 17, 2009,
Most tuning problems come from the owner simply not restringing the guitar correctly or not having the guitar set up well. I've used £60 plywood Strat copies that even when using their crappy vibratos, would hold tune so long as they had been set up and restrung correctly. There's really no reason why a Gibson LP Standard (or even an Epiphone LP Standard or LTD EC 401 or anything else like that) should have tuning problems, bar human error.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Most tuning problems come from the owner simply not restringing the guitar correctly or not having the guitar set up well. I've used £60 plywood Strat copies that even when using their crappy vibratos, would hold tune so long as they had been set up and restrung correctly. There's really no reason why a Gibson LP Standard (or even an Epiphone LP Standard or LTD EC 401 or anything else like that) should have tuning problems, bar human error.

+1, and if you suck at changing strings like I do, go for locking tuners.
I change my Flying V strings correctly ever since I got it and I'm not a fan of the Gibson Deluxe tuners either. I'm pretty sure Grover tuners drop right in no problem... check out ZakkWyldeFan79's profile to see the V he installed Grovers on
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]