ok, so iv just completed a National diploma in music at DDD level and am going to uni to do a Ba Honours in (you guessed it) music. now my bass playing is semi pro at the moment solidly, however i am completly self taught and have become stuck! I can play Mr.pink and a bunch of other hard stuff but that isnt really improving my over all playing
any suggestions....
Learn more theory? spend time improvising. DOnt think I have to do a I-V-IV in a minor. THrough together a progression and then improv over it....

True musicianship is improvisation
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
see i do practice improvising alot as i personaly believe that playing others songs can get you so far. my jazz bass playing is ok but even when improvising i just don't know how to get better =/
Pick one thing specifically to work on (i.e. getting slides to sound fluid or something of that sort) and practice hard for 5-10 minutes. then feel free to noodle around for about 10 minutes and repeat for as long as you want. the key is to have something specific in mind as to what you want to improve.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
thanks guys i think your on the right lines Fuzzle i shall try that. my slap sound can get sloppy sometimes
i was thinking bout getting a teacher but i dont know if there is anything they can teach me, i have learnt to play from watching others, jamming and constant practice
Get a teacher yes, a good one though, see if you can find a pro whos teaching. Get them to make sure evreything you do technique wise is perfect or as close too. Also make sure your in a position to be able to sight read improvise to a good standard.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The only way to get significantly better at soloing is to transcribe solos. Also get a teacher. But he will tell you the same thing I just did
I was in your shoes last year I had DDD on my ND music course and now I'm studying a BA Hons in Popular Music. All I can say is get your theory in order, your playing comes 2nd to theory on a degree course because degrees are academic, diplomas are practical. If it's anything like my course you'll do very little playing and a whole load of essay writing in the first year and it will twist your perception of music no end. You'll get a tutor in your instrument and you'll do group rehearsals every week and that's about as much playing as you'll do.

The best bit of advice i can give is get your self familiar with sequencing and midi software like Pro tools, logic, reason and cubase and get at least a basic understanding of how to play piano because it will help you no end when it comes to composing.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you studying?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Most musicians have native talent and a proclivity to an instrument, as do artists towards a certain medium. The benefit of a teacher is that they can take the raw talent and build a foundation of theory and technique which can refine and improve the raw materials that exist in an artist or a musician.

No one is too old or advanced for a teacher. My jazz teacher still takes lessons from others and tell his students the day you stop learning and are willing to take constructive criticism on your playing is the day you cease to move forward as a musician.

The trick is to find the best teacher for you.
skater dan im studying at wolverhampton uni and i thnks for the advicemy theory and composing isnt to bad as our college made sure we where more than prepared but i will work on it more. where are you studying?
no,no,no...do not get a teacher...first of all your theory should be solid so a teacher is not really gonna teach you anything you don't already know on paper...you can do all the excersises in the world but it won't help you be a better musician...here's what you need to do....the only thing that will truly help you in being a better musician is to start being a better musician...

1) memorize the sound of every note on the fret board and where it is so you can recall it at will..
2) learn every song you can...start to finish....pick a couple of albums you love and learn them front to back...learn 1 new song every day...
3) get yourself in a band that has a lot of gigs, or multiple bands that play multiple genres...preferable cover bands, one in which you get a lot of stage time, with a large catalog of music to cover...you will learn to improvise in a very short period of time...play with as many people as you can...
4) learn how to sing and play...and double on another instrument...
5) start writing songs...and performing them...even if they are dumb and cheesy to you...chances are somebody else might like it...you'll never know unless you try....

the best experience you can get is from on the job training..
Last edited by jtkguitar at Jul 17, 2009,
id love to do this however were i am based it is hard to come by any gigs which is a pain in the ass but i do agree to an extent
then move....try NYC ,LA, Nashville or Tokyo is a good start...sitting at home is not gonna get you better...playing with others will get you better...get going...
lol as im a student and live in england NYC may be hard to commute to. but seriosly i am trying to get out there and find people, it just hard to find any suggestions?
Quote by jtkguitar
no,no,no...do not get a teacher...first of all your theory should be solid so a teacher is not really gonna teach you anything you don't already know
I have to completely disagree. What about the applcation of theory to your playing etc? Anyway, what anarkee said was spot on.

stratkat
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
lol as im a student and live in england NYC may be hard to commute to. but seriosly i am trying to get out there and find people, it just hard to find any suggestions?

then answer every ad you can find for a bassist and get into as many gigs as you can, or improv or open mike gigs...find as many different people to play with...anyone who is telling you theory is where it's at, is a trained seal...develop your ear and you will then naturally know what the next note you need to play is...make as much live music as you can...this is how you get good...people that live and die by theory, coach....because they can't play...
Last edited by jtkguitar at Jul 17, 2009,
Massive fail on reccomending against a teacher.

A teacher helps drastically speed up the learning process because you get the benefit of learning from their mistakes without making them yourself. As well as, at least for me, massive inspiration.

I've studied with Steve Lawson and Todd Johnson, anyone who says they can't play needs to get their head examined.

However I agree, as do my teachers, with training your ear best as possible that should be your #1 priority at all times. Something i'm trying to do in my jazz group is throw out all charts and just listen to everything and react to it.

However, that's not to suggest you should neglect your other skills, technique, reading ability and theory knowledge. They should all be at pro-level. But your ear is number one, every time.

The theory that you won't benefit from a teacher is ignorant at best and downright arrogant at worse.

Send Steve Lawson (stevelawson.net) an email, he teaches down in London, I live in Northampton and head down their once every few months for a few hours. Doesn't cost too much and has done wonders for my playing over the last year.

Lastly, learn to read. It's an essential skill in the pro-music realm.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by skater dan0
I was in your shoes last year I had DDD on my ND music course and now I'm studying a BA Hons in Popular Music. All I can say is get your theory in order, your playing comes 2nd to theory on a degree course because degrees are academic, diplomas are practical. If it's anything like my course you'll do very little playing and a whole load of essay writing in the first year and it will twist your perception of music no end. You'll get a tutor in your instrument and you'll do group rehearsals every week and that's about as much playing as you'll do.

The best bit of advice i can give is get your self familiar with sequencing and midi software like Pro tools, logic, reason and cubase and get at least a basic understanding of how to play piano because it will help you no end when it comes to composing.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you studying?

Dan, if you don't mind me asking, who is/are you bass tutor(s) (not sure if you have more than one) in uni?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
thanks forcemaster i have been trying to get better with my reading, my listining skills do need boosting to pro level and i think im guna look into geting a teacher, any brilliant experiences you guys had with a teacher?
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
skater dan im studying at wolverhampton uni and i thnks for the advicemy theory and composing isnt to bad as our college made sure we where more than prepared but i will work on it more. where are you studying?

I'm studying at the Atrium CCCI in Cardiff. It's part of the University of Glamorgan.

Quote by fleajr_1412
Dan, if you don't mind me asking, who is/are you bass tutor(s) (not sure if you have more than one) in uni?

MY bass tutor's name is Jon Caulfield.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhpdSPcu__w

That's one of the best bass teachers I've had. Dan was amazing. He taught me that having small hands means sh*t as far as holding you back, and taught me to love jazz bass playing and fundamentals of truly great funk playing. He was the Rosetta stone for me that allowed me to understand my role as a bass player and as a musician. He was critical and supportive, and approached music and teaching with an amazing enthusiasm. I learned more in the year I spent with him than I had in all of my high school music program.

While I am no where near done in my bass progress, he taught me to be fearless and helped me to develop my own style and sound.
Quote by jtkguitar
no,no,no...do not get a teacher...first of all your theory should be solid so a teacher is not really gonna teach you anything you don't already know on paper...you can do all the excersises in the world but it won't help you be a better musician...here's what you need to do....the only thing that will truly help you in being a better musician is to start being a better musician...

Im gonna go out on a limb here and ask if you have the slightest clue what your talking about
Quote by skater dan0
MY bass tutor's name is Jon Caulfield.

Really? , I take private lessons from him.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by tubatom868686
Im gonna go out on a limb here and ask if you have the slightest clue what your talking about

isn't this the crochet forum??? just friendly advice, take it or leave it...

might as well just ask the teacher to go ahead and play the bass for you too at the next gig??... whilst you go get the of the band some drinks...thanks.
Quote by jtkguitar

might as well just ask the teacher to go ahead and play the bass for you too at the next gig??... whilst you go get the of the band some drinks...thanks.

Youve made it obvious that you dont know the first thing about learning, teaching, or playing bass.

TS, if you can get a teacher, I highly recommend it. Also, transcribe transcribe transcribe. If you cant get a teacher, transcribing is the next best thing.
Quote by jtkguitar

No its the bass forum and more warnings will ensue if you don't all start remembering the rules about constructive arguments on this forum.