Thanks to a sheer bout of luck, I managed to buy a brand new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube combo for a low price. However, seeing as how I'm used to this tiny Frontman 15G I use as a practice amp, it's left me with a couple of questions.

1. What is the minimum amount of time I need to have the amp in Standby mode?
2. When will I need new tubes?
3. Will long periods of overdrive/distortion weaken tubes faster?

I'm really excited about using this, seeing as how I might be forming a band pretty soon with a couple of friends. All your help is appreciated.
Quote by Pyrotechie
Thanks to a sheer bout of luck, I managed to buy a brand new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube combo for a low price. However, seeing as how I'm used to this tiny Frontman 15G I use as a practice amp, it's left me with a couple of questions.

1. What is the minimum amount of time I need to have the amp in Standby mode?
2. When will I need new tubes?
3. Will long periods of overdrive/distortion weaken tubes faster?

I'm really excited about using this, seeing as how I might be forming a band pretty soon with a couple of friends. All your help is appreciated.

1. Most manuals suggest 30-60 seconds.

2. When the old ones start to sound crappy -- i.e., when you hear humming or distortion where there was none before.

3. Most likely.
Thanks for the info, one more slightly retarded question I have to ask.

What is the point of reverb? Is it just to imitate sound reverberations?
makes it sound like your in a big stadium, it helps get alot of tones since most live performances have some natural reverb you may not get in a small venue, or some recordings have some added in to make it sound different. I personally just set my reverb to around 2 and leave it. But you can also make it sound almost like a delay if you crank it
Quote by jamiethorpe
If you get an AC30 don't even use the standby as it will ruin your amp. Ridiculous I know, but true.

??? Never heard this one before. Can you elaborate?
Quote by jamiethorpe
If you get an AC30 don't even use the standby as it will ruin your amp. Ridiculous I know, but true.

he's not getting an AC30, he's getting a Hot Rod. Big difference.

how does putting it in standby ruin the amp? why would it be there?
^I think he means leaving it in standby for long periods of time

He probably did that, like an idiot, and now complains to justify himself.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
There is no reason that I can think of that would ruin your amp using the standby function.

Using natural overdrive, i.e. when you crank the amp past it's clean potential, will weaken the valves quite quickly. If you gigged with it, for instance, on a regular basis (twice a weak) your tubes/valves most likely won't last six months before they start to fizz/hiss/distort/weaken/lose volume.
But if you use the preamps gain it shouldn't really affect the valves that much. In an ideal world, of course.

Reverb is used, as mentioned, to recreate the vibe of a room/stadium. Many people use it on Fender amps to "calm down" the high frequencies that is common with Fender amps and guitars. It mellows your tone out and adds depth and character. Too much is not always preferred, but it certain genres the oddness of an overused reverb tone is actually really interesting to hear.
lol, pwned.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head