Hey everyone, basically mucking about at school today on the macs and decided to ask if there was any software that was like garageband for windows that is free.
I can't affoard to buy the microsoft version and i definately cant afford a mac.

I will officially make love to whoever, if anyone knows of anything

Cheers
Jonny
http://www.reaper.fm/

Reaper.

/thread.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Audacity is the right answer.
Just make sure you get the BETA because the other lacks loads of features that really you need to mix anything well.
meh
Quote by CoreysMonster
Audacity

No, Reaper.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
http://www.reaper.fm/

Reaper.

/thread.

Yes, Reaper.

Audacity is fine, but it's not much like Garageband at all. It doesn't support MIDI or VSTs.
Didn't think Reaper was free...?

And besides, there's going to be nothing anywhere near as good for music stuff as Logic or Garageband for Windows. Macs are just frankly waaaay better at that sort of stuff. Hence why I have one.
you dont want audacity, you want a program that does loops, like sony acid. I dont know if its the best round, but it compares to garageband.
acid costs a grip.
get fruity loops

http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/download.html

^^ for download
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
-Frank Zappa
Quote by Kumanji

And besides, there's going to be nothing anywhere near as good for music stuff as Logic or Garageband for Windows. Macs are just frankly waaaay better at that sort of stuff. Hence why I have one.

Umm really? I'm a Mac user myself, but there's really no reason why the Mac platform is inherently better at audio than Windows.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Any software can be free if you're up for it.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by Kumanji

Reaper isn't free per se but they let you download a fully featured trial version that you can use for as long as you want with no penalty, paying is completely optional.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Kumanji

Well that's just not true
Audacity is noooothing like garageband unless you want to record into your computer. He probably wants the loops and all that. Audacity isn't even an acceptable answer.
There be no shelter here.
TS are you talking about the recording and playing in side of garage band or the loops, that kind of determines it.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Reaper is kinda free, and the closest you'll get without paying (not cheap though). For recording and mixing, go for it. For loops, listen to the loop guys (though reaper can sure do loops, it just doesn't come with them).

I love it when people say Logic is the best, yeah, it's the best in its price range but doesn't beat Pro Tools or Cubase.
Quote by Wayward_Son
Umm really? I'm a Mac user myself, but there's really no reason why the Mac platform is inherently better at audio than Windows.

It's not. They USED to be. Now it's pretty even, but most people stick to the norm' and get Macs.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Man I just tried Audacity and I have to say...

WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT!!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Man I just tried Audacity and I have to say...

WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT!!

And this is why I said Reaper.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Wayward_Son

No doubt you can set up Windows to record just as well as a Mac. After all, Pro Tools HD is available on both.

However, in factory setting, Macs come straight out ready to record. It has several crucial utilities that really make it a lot more comfortable to work with.

First of all, OSX's CoreAudio driver is much much better than Window's stock MME. For Windows, you have to get at least ASIO in order to get decent performance and latency in audio hardware, and it's a pain to set up correctly.

Second of all, OSX has the iAC bus, which is an inter-application bus so that you can send signal across multiple programs.

Third of all, Audio MIDI Setup routing digital signal that much easier.

Lastly, OSX has a much better workflow for the users who are working with audio production.

Not that you can't do these things in Windows, but it sure takes a hell of a lot more time and energy.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 17, 2009,