hi all, this is the 3 month anniversary of me starting to learn the electric guitar, and so far am having a great time, loving every second. im beginning to get a bit better (well at least i think so anyway ) and am thinking of getting a distortion pedal, to try and get a bit of a nicer sound. i have a crate gx-15 amp and an aria stg series guitar. ive been looking into the boss ds-1 as i kinds like the tone it gives and is not too expensive, i dont want to get another amp after playing for such a short time. anyone got any reccomendations, - music i play is AC/DC guns and roses, but at the moment im pretty much trying to learn any song that takes my fancy - aswell as trying to make my own riffs ect. anyone got any good suggestions?

thanks in advance
Quote by robodude789
hi all, this is the 3 month anniversary of me starting to learn the electric guitar, and so far am having a great time, loving every second. im beginning to get a bit better (well at least i think so anyway ) and am thinking of getting a distortion pedal, to try and get a bit of a nicer sound. i have a crate gx-15 amp and an aria stg series guitar. ive been looking into the boss ds-1 as i kinds like the tone it gives and is not too expensive, i dont want to get another amp after playing for such a short time. anyone got any reccomendations, - music i play is AC/DC guns and roses, but at the moment im pretty much trying to learn any song that takes my fancy - aswell as trying to make my own riffs ect. anyone got any good suggestions?

thanks in advance

If you like the DS-1 then get it.

The Digitech Bad Monkey is nice ($50) and if run after the DS-1 will make it sound that much better.

Personally, my suggestion would be to save up and get a good amp as soon as possible. A good amp is perhaps the most important link in the tone chain.
Thing with pedals is, don't waste your money on cheap, bad ones. I hate the original crybaby and digitech delay pedals I have.
i would just use the gain on your amp
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by buddyboombotz
Thing with pedals is, don't waste your money on cheap, bad ones. I hate the original crybaby and digitech delay pedals I have.

I agree, which is why I saved up and bought a Carl Martin Quattro.

However, some of the cheaper pedals still sound good -- Bad Monkey, Metal Muff, etc...
Look into any Boss distortion i suppose, and if possible find a Made in Japan model (it'll be used). Maybe look into an MXR.

The main thing is to try out a bunch of pedals yourself (if possible) and pick the one that impresses you.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by rhcp-legends
i would just use the gain on your amp

Some amps can't handle gain too well. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and running through distortion pedals seems to work better than the OD on the amp itself.

If you want a BOSS, then get it. I've used a cheap $20 FAB distortion simply for practice but I plan on getting a DS-1 for live play.
Quote by Pyrotechie
Some amps can't handle gain too well. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and running through distortion pedals seems to work better than the OD on the amp itself.

If you want a BOSS, then get it. I've used a cheap $20 FAB distortion simply for practice but I plan on getting a DS-1 for live play.

Yeah...other than the Bassman, Fender distortion pretty much sucks for anything other than a bit of "Bluesy Dirt".
Well if u want just a single distortion pedal, i guess BOSS is the way to go, BUT if ur interested in getting a multi-effect pedal (which is quite cheap still), i suggest getting a ZOOM G2. Trust me its great for beginners
Jackson Pro Series DK2M Dinky
Ibanez GRG 270
Ibanez Tone Blaster 25R
Zoom G2
DigiTech Rp50
Go with the DS-1, it's cheap, sounds good, and when you upgrade it'll still have use in your rig as long as you have it