Page 1 of 2
Ok, so some of you know that I got a Bassman 100 a few weeks back off Craigslist. I brought it home, and let it sit for a week and a half, while I waited on the brand new Avatar 2x12 I had just ordered. So then I finally get the cab, and plug it all in and start jamming. It sounded incredible, perfectly clean, and punchy. The only problem was it was very quiet for 100 watts... This should have been an indicator to me, but I kept playing, and after 45 minutes or so, it blew a fuse, blew smoke out of the back and stopped working.

So... I did some research and found a local IT/Sound installation company that does tube amp repair as well. After getting an estimate (that turned out to be only about 6 dollars low, even though it was given before even seeing the amp), I dropped off the amp, and he (the company's CEO) went to work.

Yesterday I went and picked it up. He had it all set-up ready to test, and he had done a few cosmetic things as well. It sounded perfect, exactly what I had hoped. So much low end it was unbelievable, and the cleans were godly. The surprising thing is, I can get a nice Fender grind from it when I crank the guitar volume knob. He told me he had completely taken the head back to original specs. Apparently it had been worked on a few times and some changes were made, not for the better.

The most amazing thing about the work he did; the amp is now 99.9% silent. He cranked the amp all the way up, with no guitar and there was not even a slight hum, unless you put your ear to the speaker.

While I was there, he let me play through a 1960-something Ampeg Reverbrocket II, and I heard him play an old Ampeg, I can't remember what it was. He also had a Mark Rivera Twin Reverb II head. He said it had two channels, one being a blackface Twin, the other being somwhat similar to the original Boogies. The other really cool thing was he had a silverface Bassman, the 50 watt version. This was a 1968 though, so it was actually a blackface in a silverface head case. He said he had gotten it back to AB165 specs, with some tweaking.

Anways, sorry about the long post, here are some pics I took before the amp broke with a camera, and a few from my cell phone from last night. I'll put up more tonight, when I have my camera charged. The last pic is a few of the tech's amps.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks guys.

I forgot to add, the guy had some crazy vintage pedals. He had an original Fender Blender, two old MXR distortion boxes, and a few things I didn't recognize. He also had an old ass guitar synthesizer that was the size of a big PA mixing board... The guy has enough gear in his house to make any of the regulars here pass out from overheating.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Nice amp room.

Glad to hear you're finally jammin on the bassman. Glad it got fixed and sounds even better now.

Quote by tubetime86
Thanks guys.

I forgot to add, the guy had some crazy vintage pedals. He had an original Fender Blender, two old MXR distortion boxes, and a few things I didn't recognize. He also had an old ass guitar synthesizer that was the size of a big PA mixing board... The guy has enough gear in his house to make any of the regulars here pass out from overheating.

Even Matrix Claw?
My guitar build

My gear:
Blackheart Little Giant Combo
Epiphone Les Paul with Rio Grande TX/BBQ pickup set
Little Big Muff
Blues Driver
Very Nice!!!!!
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys.
I'm so relieved to have all this finished up. One wierd thing I forgot to mention; I actually love my SD-1 now. It sounded horrible on the past 3 amps I've had (Windsor, V-33, Valve Junior) but on this it actually sounds great...

Quote by kiwi68
Even Matrix Claw?

Well I know nothing about PA gear and non-guitar stuff, but if you include that, he could probably fill an 18 wheeler with all the amps and speakers he has.

Quote by epiphonesg94
HNAD!

Ya, I love that cab. I didn't realize until afterwards but it is actually styled after the Bassman 2x12 cabs!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jul 17, 2009,
So i hear you leik Ampegs?

Very nice man, good to hear it was returned to original specs. Clips?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Awesome.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by LaidBack
So i hear you leik Ampegs?

Very nice man, good to hear it was returned to original specs. Clips?

I'll do some clips sometime this weekend, but they'll be with a ****ty comp mic and audacity.

Actually I played the Ampeg Reverbrocket II and was not impressed at all. It was basically the growl of a Marshall without the clarity and definition. He was raving about it, but I was not impressed at all. I dunno maybe it's just me...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by pak1351
Clips indeed.
Also, mind sharing what exactly he did?
How do you like v30's with that? Try anything else?

HN(Fixed)AD

Well, trust me, he explained EXACTLY what he did. Unfortunately 90% went straight over my head. What I did understand was:

1. replaced all the caps that needed replacing
2. resoldered the power cord lug (he said it was a poor job from when it was given a 3 prong)
3. replaced the hum balance control which he said looked "iffy"
4. replaced a tube socket, and some diodes that I blew when it smoked
5. replaced all the tubes and biased
6. reglued the face plate
7. replaced a knob that was broken
8. clean the pots
9. spruced up the lead dress (which he said is what got rid of all the hum)
10. replaced a couple resistors that were an incorrect value
11. generally cleaned up the inside, and any shotty connections

I think that is all he said but I probably forgot something.

I played it through his old Fender cab, which I think he said had G10's in it. It sounded really scooped and had very little grind to it, the V30s definitely add some growl.

And

Unet: I'm not patient at all. That's why I blew the thing the day I got my cab...

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Unet: I'm not patient at all. That's why I blew the thing the day I got my cab...

Rasik.

Clips or it's all photoshop and an MG+metalzone.
Quote by unet
Rasik.

Clips or it's all photoshop and an MG+metalzone.

I've been found out!

And Rocky (the puppy) is actually a hamster...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You dont want that Bassman, crap amps really.
Sell it now (To me) for about 100 bucks and you will be happy.

HNAD!
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Quote by Zapher
You dont want that Bassman, crap amps really.
Sell it now (To me) for about 100 bucks and you will be happy.

HNAD!

It's funny I know you are being sarcastic, but these silverface models really do get a lot of ****. A lot of people on here told me to avoid it because it is less desireable to the blackface models. First off, I could never get a BF for this price, second, this thing sounds DAMN good. I mean the cleans are seriously unbelievable. This amp has more punch and warmth than anything I have ever played. From what I've read the main difference between these and the BF is the headroom. These are supposed to be very hard to OD... I can't really OD it, but I can get some nice grind when I really pick hard, which is exactly what I wanted.

The one thing I was surprised by; it really is not that loud for 100 watts. Don't get me wrong, here, it is loud as hell, but the low end gets out of control long before the mids/treble. I guess it just sounds a little more quiet because it is so scooped?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Sorry to double post, but I thought I should add; I will bump with some gut shots whenever I get motivated enough to open it up. I'm dying to see it though, the guy said he did some extensive work with the lead dress. He said it looks like it should straight from the factory now.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Sorry to double post, but I thought I should add; I will bump with some gut shots whenever I get motivated enough to open it up. I'm dying to see it though, the guy said he did some extensive work with the lead dress. He said it looks like it should straight from the factory now.

Quote by pak1351

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by mcrfobtai
A million ****ing years later.

HNAD dude

Sure as **** felt like it. Well worth the wait, though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by customisbetter

Congratz!

Thanks, guys.

Custom: You can appreciate this; I was motivated to head in this direction (superb clean tone, layered effects) by my old V-33. Although the cleans on that were much more voxy, and this is a smoother warmer sound. I still miss the V-33, though. Different strokes, ya know?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by customisbetter
different strokes.

i almost miss my clean channel on the v33...

almost.

Don't have the amp anymore? Or just the channel?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

I get what you are saying about it not being crazy insane loud. My B-10 is only 60 or 65 watts and I can get it up to 4 in a condo no problem. What preamp tubes did you go with?

And tubetime!
Quote by The Real Ming
Gut shots please. I want to see this factory-like amp.

Yea ditto that.
WHen i was modding the gain channel on my v33, i fried the relay for the clean channel, it doesn't fully engage the clean channel so its pretty much just quit signal and static.

the gain is beautiful though, so im happy.
Sorry, I was in no condition to be poking around in the chassis this weekend, god I love summer. I'll probably get around to it tonight, though. I went with Ruby tubes, just because the tech I used stocks them, and he passes on their guarantee. It seems like the volume has a real sweet spot, I can all-but crank it and its not terribly loud, then all the sudden just a tad more volume and its knocking things over.

I did, however, have a great jam session with it, and my Valve Junior. I met this kid at a party around the corner from my house, and holy sh**, this could could play. He played some amazing slide guitar...

So
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
HNAD!

Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Page 1 of 2