After playing a riff with a short rest at the end, some guitarists like to actively "clear" the fretboard instead of muting the strings in place. This means moving the fretting hand up and down the board before moving on to the next phrase.

I would like help tracking down exactly what this is, and some reasons why guitarists like doing it. Hopefully someone understands what I mean, thanks!
do you mean slides?
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by padgea7x
do you mean slides?

I guess this? Though to be honest i think it's mainly for showing off and looking cool purposes most of the time.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I do that with almost every break. Strange I was thinking about this the other day. I think its good though.
I don't do it for flash, I never thought about it much until I saw some vids of me playing. I think it adds some feeling, I often slide rather than mute.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by evening_crow
I guess this? Though to be honest i think it's mainly for showing off and looking cool purposes most of the time.

exactly...

it's just a flashy way to mute them
Might be psychological.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
I always thought it was for looking cool and keeping time better.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
i think it sounds cool, and sometimes it can grab the listeners attention i guess, just like a pick slide.
but yeah it can be used to show off and make you look cool.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/guitar_lessons/shred_masterclass_things_to_play_when_you_suck.html
^^i'm not saying you suck, kris just does the slide in it.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Yeah, thanks for the answers. it is a lot more interesting than leaving your hand in the same place, when the next phrase happens in the same block of frets. Some people might get a better impression of your skill because it looks active, even though it might not affect the sound.

I also noticed that sometimes guitarists use this sliding to achieve the "fading in/out" effect, but a lot of people do this sliding out of habit as well (not affecting their sound).
Claudio Sanchez (my favorite guitar player) does this ALL the time. It's not a slide because you can't hear anything when he does it. He mutes the strings and just runs his fingers up and back down. He does it because it looks cool.
Hooray for exaggerating the phallic emblem that the guitar is
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I dont do this, but I bet part of the fact that ppl do it is because theres harmonics created(like when you scrape the side of the pick on the strings) and it sounds cool...ive never tried it but im assuming thats wat happens.
I do it sometimes if I'm having trouble with feedback and regular muting makes a *doom* type noise if you know what I mean, and other times just cuz I feel like it

there's not really a name for it that I know of.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Hooray for exaggerating the phallic emblem that the guitar is

O lawd