I have an epiphone les paul standard. There is nothing wrong with it, i have just been lately wanting a more single coil style sound.

So my question is, should i spend..say $300-400 on a MIM tele, or should I put some humbucker-sized single coils in my les paul, and spend the rest upgrading it? (Tuners prob)
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
New guitar.
Trust me, I upgraded my Squier, and now i'm wishing I would've got a new guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

So what type of sound would I get from single coils? I mean i'm not so much goin after a specific sound and I'm open to a new type of tone.

The only reason im hesistant to upgrade, is the mim fender wouldn't be any nicer than my current guitar. I was hoping my next guitar would be a higher end fender
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Get a Fender Highway One strat if you're into the single-coil sound, should be a lil bit of an upgrade from what you got now.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Stratocaster?sku=512768#used

EDIT: Oh you said you wanted a tele... take a look at this then
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-?sku=512871#used
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Last edited by guitar99099 at Jul 17, 2009,
Those look nice, are maple necks not offered in that model tho?

If I am to get a strat/tele, I would prefer a maple neck. Much smoother to play on
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Now that I see that black/maple tele.... that is one SMOKIN guitar

What is the difference between those, and a standard mim?
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
They have options for either rosewood or maple necks take a look

two very sexy guitars

EDIT: difference is that they are made in USA.
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

they are....beautiful....
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
MIA!?

I'm definantly sold, thanks for the help.
now i just have to decide between a tele or a strat
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Quote by Rockerdude135
So what type of sound would I get from single coils? I mean i'm not so much goin after a specific sound and I'm open to a new type of tone.

It seems like you don't really know what you're looking for. It's probably better that you don't spend a lot of money on a guitar just for the single coils. I did that and it was great for a few months until I realized that I'm a humbucker man. I got my RG and it's the best of both worlds. I would recommend getting something with both humbuckers and single coils. HSH or HSS, but I like HSH because you get 2 humbucker options and 3 single coil options.
Quote by Rockerdude135
I have an epiphone les paul standard. There is nothing wrong with it, i have just been lately wanting a more single coil style sound.

So my question is, should i spend..say $300-400 on a MIM tele, or should I put some humbucker-sized single coils in my les paul, and spend the rest upgrading it? (Tuners prob)

ya, i have an epiphone SG and i wanted to upgrade to a MIM Tele, so i understand where you are coming from. but ya i got my tele off craigslist for $300. (i would get a used 1 if i were u so u r not spending $500+ on it). but yes, upgrade to the tele, i love mine, so u should probably love yours.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
Quote by guitar99099
They have options for either rosewood or maple necks take a look

two very sexy guitars

EDIT: difference is that they are made in USA.

OH GOD! Red Strat with a maple fret board ... Do want, though I do prefer the wood to be stained red rather than painted.